What's new

Oh boy! Lord platinum blades

How many did you buy? Let us know if you experience QC issues. Lord is notorious for it.
I have been using Lord blades for just over 4yrs now and never had a bad blade from them. Have I found some that didn't shave as well as others, yes I have. The Big Ben in particular was a very tuggy blade for me but I chalked it up to just not being sharp enough a blade for me...

I think Lord gets a bad rap from a lot of people saying that they have poor QC and most times it has to do with other factors of the shave!! Most guys that use a blade that they don't find sharp enough they just label it as a dud, give the blade a bad review, and then move on from it. Not every blade works in every razor!! I've been through the majority of 100 Shark SS, 100 Shark SC, and 2-3 tucks of Silver Star blades and have found them all to work pretty much identical in my Timeless razor and I get the best results from them versus Feather, GSB, Kai, or Bic just to name a few... Even though those blades were tuggy and rough for me I would never label them as duds to give them a bad rep, they just didn't work for me because of something in my routine and thats that!!

I have coarse facial hair therefore I've been using the Astra SP for the past two years. Recently ordered feather blades from eBay. 3 days ago I shaved with the feather blade in my edwin jaggee de 89. It was the smoothest closest shave I had in a long time.
Today I received the Lord Platinum blades from Amazon. I ordered them because I was reading good reviews on them. Oh boy!! I must say this was the closest and smoothest shave I ever gotten. Again I used my de-89 razor.
You got lucky. Blades are YMMV. I personally didn't have luck with the Lord Platinum. Strong irritation after the shave. Lots of other Lord brands and models that I like though.

I tried shaving with shark super stainless in many razors because I didn't want to dismiss them but they are very harsh and not that sharp. I had to let go of these blades.
I found the same to be true. Having had a few tucks of Lord Platinums and liked them a lot I really wanted to like the Shark SS. I still have some and keep trying them thinking they will change but alas, just as you describe harsh and don’t feel sharp.
I am going to try the Lord P‘s again though.

I found the same to be true. Having had a few tucks of Lord Platinums and liked them a lot I really wanted to like the Shark SS. I still have some and keep trying them thinking they will change but alas, just as you describe harsh and don’t feel sharp.
I am going to try the Lord P‘s again though.
If you haven't already, try the Lord Silver Star blades. One of the best that they make. They are only around $8/100. The packaging looks kind of low rent, just overlook that, the blades are great, IMHO.
1613519253648.png

Can anyone recommend me any Lord blades that are similar in terms of sharpness and smoothness to Nacet, Polsilver, Perma Sharp etc? The only Lord blade that i've tried so far is Shark Chrome and I wasn't impressed.

Can anyone recommend me any Lord blades that are similar in terms of sharpness and smoothness to Nacet, Polsilver, Perma Sharp etc? The only Lord blade that i've tried so far is Shark Chrome and I wasn't impressed.
I just did in post #24...

I've tried 3 different Lord blades so far. Really enjoyed the ASCO (orange), the Big Ben's were good but the Lord "Classic" Super Stainless were only OK.

For years I’ve used Astra, Feather, and Kai blades in my DEs. The past couple years I’ve also added Gillette Yellows to the line up. A while back I ran into a tuck of Shark Platinums and they were excellent. That experience prompted me to try out the Egyptian manufactured blades so the past couple months I’ve been running through them with excellent results. So far I’ve tried, Shark Chrome, Shark Stainless, Shark Platinum, Lord Stainless, Lord Platinum, and Silver Star. They have all been a very nice blend of sharp and smooth. I’d have a hard time picking my favorite. If a gun was put to my head it’d probably be Lord Platinums or Lord Stainless but only by a thin margin. I’ve more testing to do before I pop for 100.

Lord Silver Star.
And Lord Super Chrome.
For me the Silver Star blades are sharper than the Super Chrome, but the Super Chrome blades are smoother.
As always, YMMV

For years I’ve used Astra, Feather, and Kai blades in my DEs. The past couple years I’ve also added Gillette Yellows to the line up. A while back I ran into a tuck of Shark Platinums and they were excellent. That experience prompted me to try out the Egyptian manufactured blades so the past couple months I’ve been running through them with excellent results. So far I’ve tried, Shark Chrome, Shark Stainless, Shark Platinum, Lord Stainless, Lord Platinum, and Silver Star. They have all been a very nice blend of sharp and smooth. I’d have a hard time picking my favorite. If a gun was put to my head it’d probably be Lord Platinums or Lord Stainless but only by a thin margin. I’ve more testing to do before I pop for 100.
Make sure to give the orange ASCOs a try!

Make sure to give the orange ASCOs a try!

They've been added to the list, thank you. I don't know why I never gave the Egyptian manufactured blades a shot over the years. That was an error I am working towards correcting. They are wonderful blades.

I can sort of help with this. I'm not a user of the blades you mention, but my typical blade is the Personna Med Prep, which has an excellent and deserved reputation for both sharpness and smoothness.

I find Lord's ASCO platinums to be very similar, for about 1/5 the price.

They've been added to the list, thank you. I don't know why I never gave the Egyptian manufactured blades a shot over the years. That was an error I am working towards correcting. They are wonderful blades.
My pleasure :D

For all I know, they could be the same blade as some other Lord stainless steel blade. I also want to look into more Lord options eventually. Currently, Shark SS and orange ASCO have treated me very well.

My pleasure :D

For all I know, they could be the same blade as some other Lord stainless steel blade. I also want to look into more Lord options eventually. Currently, Shark SS and orange ASCO have treated me very well.

Yeah I wonder about carry over too. The Lord Platinum and Shark Platinum blades I tried seem very similar. As do the super stainless versions of Sharks and Lords. They dont feel exactly the same, but that could be due to the manufacturer age of the blades. The tooling used to make and sharpen blades is subject to wear so I would imagine a batch of blades from say 2018 wouldnt feel exactly the same as the same blades from 2020. Im no expert though, thats just me throwing darts blindfolded.

My only experience with Lord blades was over a decade ago when I snagged some cheap ones at a market in Dallas (I couldn't tell you which blades they were, but they were awful).

I've got some Platinum Premium and Super Chrome on the way, a first step on correcting my lack of experience with this brand. Next order I'll try the Platinum and the orange ASCO (and maybe some Racers?).

Finally got lord platinum. Very nice blade.
silver stars are nice too.
ive got asco And big bens on the way.
Those are all good IMO. I love Silver Stars. They are excellent. Ascos are almost as good.

The only Lord blades I really don’t like are Shark Platinums and Chromes And Lord Rainbows.

Top Bottom