What's new

Oh Boy, a New Plisson

There was really no good reason for me to buy another brush except curiosity. The Plisson below is a size 14 in "European White" with a rosewood handle. Size 14 is listed as having a 22mm X 59mm knot. This one measures in at 23X58 which is all for the better in my view. Plisson describes the EW as "...while keeping most of the qualities of the first (HMW), will however be not as white, not as luminous."

I generally like big fat knots (26+) with lofts no more than 2.1X the diameter. I also like a decent amount of backbone with no discernible scritch. Picking this brush was, as I told a friend, a bit of claret fueled dementia. These brushes have a reputation of defying physics and delivering great backbone in spite of their Manute Bol lofts. Sure enough, it loaded a triple milled French soap easily; no flop here. They also have a reputation for having a fair bit of scrtitch, and to paraphrase Lou Grant, I hate scritch. Well this brush won't disappoint scritch lovers. Therefor a face lather was out of the question so I whipped up a lovely lather with a fantastic eShave Avocado & Linden soap Pif'd to me by a generous Canadian. I adopted a paint-brush application technique to apply the lather, which is the only way I could use this brush. It's not going to make the regular rotation but I'm sure I'll pull it out on occasion when I'm looking for something out of my comfort zone.

Plisson delivers a beautifully crafted product, with badger hair that is quite unlike that used by other makers and has the performance characteristics it is well known for, if they match your preferences, it is a fantastic brush.

$IMG_1893.jpg$IMG_1898.jpg$IMG_1895.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the initial impressions Mark and the eye candy of course is always appreciated. It'll be interesting to see if over time, as this baby breaks in, if it will soften up at all. How would you rate the density on this brush, equal, better or inferior to say the Simpson 2 band variety you have pictured next to it?

D

Deleted member 48987

I'm surprised by the scritch as well, but that handle looks great.

Beautiful. I love the way Plisson matches the wood grain to their logo, it exudes quality and hand assembly.

Last edited:
Where'd you pick it up?

Direct from Plisson. It should be noted that they remove the VAT from the purchase price during the check-out process, which reduces the price by almost 20 percent (for those living outside the EU). That said, shipping costs from France are horrific as those who buy MdC know well.

I'm going to be in Brittany this summer and hope to wrangle a visit to their facility. If successful, expect pictures (maybe even a video if allowed) and and any info I pick up. I'll be taking some culinary classes so will likely do some food & wine posts in other areas of the Forum.

Direct from Plisson. It should be noted that they remove the VAT from the purchase price during the check-out process, which reduces the price by almost 20 percent (for those living outside the EU). That said, shipping costs from France are horrific as those who buy MdC know well.

I'm going to be in Brittany this summer and hope to wrangle a visit to their facility. If successful, expect pictures (maybe even a video if allowed) and and any info I pick up. I'll be taking some culinary classes so will likely do some food & wine posts in other areas of the Forum.

Yes, I'm excited already!

A Plisson brush is on my list of 'brushes I VERY MUCH want sometime in the future'. Congrats on yours, enjoy!

Gee, why didn't you go for the Ivory? Man they have some really nice looking brushes, but 775-1500 Euros. Whew!!!

Mark, if you like the physics defying backbone of this brush (considering its loft) but don't care for the scritch, then you would love a size 12 in 3-band HMW.

Top Bottom