What's new

Ogallala Bay Run aftershave - talk about feeling the burn.

Tried Ogallala Bay Rum after shave for the first time this morning. Lovely scent, a tad clovey. Unfortunately, I put it on and after about 10 seconds I felt the heat of a thousand suns on my face. I know it wasn't alcohol, alcohol burn is generally quick and dies out very quickly. This was definitely clove. Skin turned red like a slight sunburn, had to wash it off because I just couldn't take it. I never thought my skin was particularly sensitive, but holy cow. I love their bay rum soap, works wonderfully. I will not call this a bad product, maybe it's just me or the bottle I got, but I just cannot use this again.

I know other people love the stuff and it does have its selling points, but has anybody else experienced this or am I just being a wuss?

Not with Ogallala - unless I forgot to shake the bottle - but with several different products. It can really come down to the fragrance oil used.

Good to know. I've heard about the oils separating with Ogallala, but didn't think of it at the time. Thanks

I have Ogallala Bay Rum and Sandalwood, and I experience no burn whatsoever. It puzzles me, since I expect a burn from a bay rum splash containing alcohol. Not complaining, just an observation.

I have Ogallala Bay Rum and Sandalwood, and I experience no burn whatsoever. It puzzles me, since I expect a burn from a bay rum splash containing alcohol. Not complaining, just an observation.

^same here!!
wonderful aftershave/cologne!

$soapy bathman plisson filarmonica 12 ogallala bay rum sep 1 2014.jpg

On the suggestion of coachschaller, I tried a little experiment. I shook the bottle of Ogallala Bay Rum, put a few squirts in my hand, then applied it to my cheek. Still felt a slight burn, but nothing like it was this morning. That may be the trick. Possibly upon standing the clove oil start to separate out and if you don't shake the bottle you get more of the essential oil than you bargained for. Then again, I just might not know what the hell I'm talking about, but that's the story.

I ended up selling an Ogallala shave soap, as I had the same bad skin reaction to it. It's a great soap, but I'm allergic to something in it.

After braving the heat of a thousand suns yesterday, I figured that would be a good excuse to try my sample of Cryogen soap this morning. I must say that I do prefer the cold over the heat.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
As you now know, the oils float.

dont let it stop you from shaking well, and enjoying the rest.

You could even add some witch hazel to cut it, if the now-mixed Oglalla is still too hot.

AA

The soaps are wonderful. It is a hard puck type soap, so if you put it in a mug or a bowl or something like that, I recommend that you bloom it first. Very good scent, lather and slickness. I have yet to try the after shave again after finding out how to use it properly, but I suspect now that it'll work out for me.

I've never used it, but from what I've read on this thread + my own bad experiences with Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum, I'll leave all aftershaves that have a clove oil stink well alone !!
Pinaud Bay Rum burned worse than any aftershave I've ever used, plus the clove oil stank to high heaven !!
I partially overcame the burning and toned down the worst of the stink by topping up the Pinaud Bay Rum with Pinaud Clubman Musk (don't even get me started on that sickly smelling stinky stuff)
I created "Bay Musk" (as seen on the Badger Blend thread) - the sweet, sickly "whore's handkerchief" powdery stink of the Pinaud Musk helped to neutralise the sourish stink of the clove oil in the Pinaud Bay Rum
The result - it burns, but not half as much as raw Pinaud Bay Rum, and only for 20-30 seconds maximum, and it smells more like a Bay Rum
Anybody having difficulties with Ogallala - blending it with something else to tone it down can't make it any worse !!
YMMV

I shake the bottle well before use...but yeah, I expected more burn. Maybe my technique is getting better since even Cat O' Nine Tails does not burn as much as it did the first couple of times I used it.

I've got the Lime and Peppercorn variety and the smell is kinda growing on me. Burns a bit, but I always slap on my Cerave lotion if I use a splash so the burn doesn't last too long.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Bump for Oglalla!

Used the Bay Rum, Sage and Cedar today for an amazing face-scorching finish! (Yes, I shook it well). :spockflam:punk::bayrum2: What great stuff.

This is superlative, and should be used more often in my rotation. They put danger-levels of essential oils in the stuff, and I for one appreciate it! Tired of weak, watered-down colognes etc.

Still working through the sampler; love all of them except Vanilla. Wouldn't you know ... someone gave me a big bottle of ... Vanilla.

AA

Ogallala Bay Rum Limes and Peppercorns is my favorite aftershave ever. Intoxicating aroma to me, a very pleasant burn without being harsh. Absolutely love it.

I have the Ogallala bay rum cologne and I get a real burn, much more so than the Captain's Co9T. I do shake the bottle vigorously but the burn is still pretty intense.

Top Bottom