What's new

Officially retired from the Government!

I retired from the Marines after 20 years, 1 month & days but you aren't "officially" retired until 30 years. Finally got my official 30 year certificate today.
It's a nice document and includes a tiny little retirement pin to wear on your lapel. What is a little scary is that paragraph 3 says that as a Retired
Marine I may be ordered back to active duty without my consent! I guess you are never really "out" which is the way us Marines like it. :biggrin1:

proxy.php

There is no such thing as an ex-Marine.

I learned this from my first father-in-law (think Meathead and Archie).

Congratulations, Sir!

Congrats!

I got a letter from HQMC the other day. Pretty tame stuff about tricare, but it always makes me catch my breath just a little when the Green Machine contacts me.

In a way, I feel like the burned out gunslinger in a cheesy Western, the one where he's gone to some sleepy town far away from it all to bury his past, and then someone from his dark history stumbles across him.

"Hey, boys, look at that geezer! I saw him once when I was a kid, just starting out...Isn't that you, Master Sergeant?"

"Master Sergeant? Why, I guess so. Nobody has called me by that name in a very long time...."

"See that old timer, boys? They say in his prime he could have a missing gear statement filled out before you could blink! How time tears a man down, right boys?"

Or something like that.

Gunny:

Congratulations on achieving this milestone and thank you for your service to our country. Enjoy your well-deserved retirement.

Don

Hello Gunny and congratulations! BTW it's nice to see a "by dir" letter again--it's been awhile for me. Also, it's interesting that they don't put SSNs on your paperwork anymore. Things change I guess.

Hello Gunny and congratulations! BTW it's nice to see a "by dir" letter again--it's been awhile for me. Also, it's interesting that they don't put SSNs on your paperwork anymore. Things change I guess.

Yeah no kidding, we lived and died by our SSN when they stopped issuing service #s. Now all you ever see is "The last 4".

Congratulations. I hope to have a similar certificate in about 6 years.

I'm feel the same way as Topgumby when I get a letter from HQMC. My heart skips a beat.

Top Bottom