What's new

Official Single Edge September (SEptember) Thread

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I wish I was getting more shaves from my AC blades. The non guarded blades are history at 3 shaves at the most.. and some of them are uncomfortable for me on shave one. I'll take an assortment with me on this upcoming trip... give the unguarded blades another chance.

As I've said repeatedly... the Feather ProGuards and the Kai Titan Protouch MG guarded blades work the best for me in my Claymore Evolution. I get 6 great shaves from either one of them. I haven't tried either the Feather Pro or Super Pro. I didn't think I needed any more aggression than my first shaves with the ProGuard blades. But that was 6 months ago.... so I might change my mind.

I was horribly disappointed in the Schick Proline blades. They are so respected here among Vector users, I bought two packs of 30 blades. I'll have to give them another chance as well. I tried two of them.... same results.... tugging from the start.

Edit: My prep is much better now and I sure hope my technique has improved over the past 6 months. <eg>

I had a fear of the Feather Pro blade, based on when I first started DE shaving and read all the posts about how insanely sharp Feather blades are and many advising newbies to wait before trying one. Without thinking I carried that sentiment over into AC razor shaving until last month. I put in a Feather Pro in my Vector, took a deep breath, and started shaving. It was outstanding! And no leaks were sprung, either.

@Phoenixkh, do the Prolines fit well for your Vector? Shane no longer lists them as compatible on the Blackland website, as they can be very finicky or even impossible to load. Just curious if that could be an issue, but I get it if the blade just isn't right for you. Astra DE blades are that way for my face, even when years go by and I try again!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had a fear of the Feather Pro blade, based on when I first started DE shaving and read all the posts about how insanely sharp Feather blades are and many advising newbies to wait before trying one. Without thinking I carried that sentiment over into AC razor shaving until last month. I put in a Feather Pro in my Vector, took a deep breath, and started shaving. It was outstanding! And no leaks were sprung, either.

@Phoenixkh, do the Prolines fit well for your Vector? Shane no longer lists them as compatible on the Blackland website, as they can be very finicky or even impossible to load. Just curious if that could be an issue, but I get it if the blade just isn't right for you. Astra DE blades are that way for my face, even when years go by and I try again!
I don't have a Vector.... I have a Claymore Evolution... all the AC blades fit... but I was following the Vector users for blade selection because there were very few Claymore Evolution people here when I first joined.. there are quite a few now.

I wish I was getting more shaves from my AC blades. The non guarded blades are history at 3 shaves at the most.. and some of them are uncomfortable for me on shave one. I'll take an assortment with me on this upcoming trip... give the unguarded blades another chance.

I was horribly disappointed in the Schick Proline blades. They are so respected here among Vector users, I bought two packs of 30 blades. I'll have to give them another chance as well. I tried two of them.... same results.... tugging from the start.
I have a Proline in my Claymore Evo. It's currently on shave 8 and seemed still ok on the last shave. The first shave seemed a bit rough but it felt better by shave 3. The combination is still slightly too mild for my taste, though. I have a Hawk V2 on order and I'm tempted to get some Feather Professional Super blades to try as well, so I guess I might as well contribute to SEptember.

For context, I'm lucky if I can get 4 shaves from a DE blade.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Personally, I love the Schick Proline in the Claymore Evolution and think the combination rocks! :001_wub: :punk:

Different face, skin and beard makes different combinations work. :)

I bought 200+ Prolines 2+ years ago. Same with my Vector. Never had any issue with a Proline not fitting perfectly. I'm not sure if the Proline, the Vector or both changed enough to cause the issue others have reported.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Personally, I love the Schick Proline in the Claymore Evolution and think the combination rocks! :001_wub: :punk:

I bought 200+ Prolines 2+ years ago. Same with my Vector. Never had any issue with a Proline not fitting perfectly. I'm not sure if the Proline, the Vector or both changed enough to cause the issue others have reported.
David,

You were one of the main reasons I bought the Prolines.. It's quite possible, now that my skin prep is better and my technique has improved, they might work just fine now. They were very rough for me when I tried them a few months ago. I know this is impossible... but it felt like my whiskers were denting the blade instead of being cut. ;)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
David,

You were one of the main reasons I bought the Prolines.. It's quite possible, now that my skin prep is better and my technique has improved, they might work just fine now. They were very rough for me when I tried them a few months ago. I know this is impossible... but it felt like my whiskers were denting the blade instead of being cut. ;)
Ouch. That's no fun. :eek2:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Ouch. That's no fun. :eek2:
Dave, I don't assign any blame to you. At the beginning of this journey, I didn't really understand the whole "YMMV" thing. I just figured....similar razor.. similar age of the user.... perfect.

I buy in smaller quantities to start now (other than my recent sleeve of 250 Wizamet blades). And I really do think, with the improvements I've made in pre-shave prep, they might work much better for me now. I'll be trying them again in SEptember.... if not, I can always sell them or PIF them.

I have a recently purchased Vector and the Prolines don’t fit - guessing it’s a change in the newer made Vectors…

🤷🏼‍♂️

I don't know about all of this. Single Edge razors, SE shaving, for me is Shick Injectors. I have an old GEM also, but I don't use it. But I have been in on this SE month and I have an Injector razor with a Chinese Shick blade in the shower and 6 or 7 uses. Still good but about done. I have a Injector razor, mid 1960s, that I like and use a lot with NOS Personna 74 blades. Good for 25 to 30 DFS uses and about 10 on the blade in it now. It's what I'm mostly useing except for a few shower shaves. I bought 5 packs of 11 blades each a few years ago for $55. They are fantastic and I and sticking to SE razors, mid '60s injectors, for the month. May just do another month for the heck of it.

Top Bottom