What's new

Official Single Edge September (SEptember) Thread

68870CAE-2699-4FE8-9AA9-1ADF03E0AD27.jpeg

Micromatic Monday / Favorite Artisans Week / SEptember

Prep: P.A.A. Cube 2.0 (face wash)

Razor: Gem Micromatic Flying Wing w/ Guiding Eye (Gold)
Blade: Gem Stainless Steel PTFE

Soap: Stirling Soap Co. Dirty South Shavers 2017
Brush: Vikings Blade White Knight (synthetic)
Bowl: Bluff Cove Pottery

Post 1: P.A.A. Alum No-Slip Grip System w/ Dry Dock System
Post 2: Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel Deep Cleansing Astringent w/ Menthol & Eucalyptus
Aftershave: Stirling Soap Co. Dirty South Shavers 2017

Favorite Artisans week is an interesting topic. I have to say I'm glad plural was chosen as I, like many of you I'm sure, have more than one favorite.

As far as shaving soaps go I'm definitely a huge fan of both Stirling Soap Company and Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements. Stirling's soaps are tallow based and Phoenix's are vegan. That means they're very different in the path they take to get to the end result but both are fantastic in their execution. Both artisans have many truly amazing scents to choose from and each provides five star customer support. These are just some of the reasons why I can say I love both brands.

For today's shave, being that's it's both Micromatic Monday and Single-Edge September, I went with a beautiful gold Gem Micromatic. This is one of my favorite single-edge razors and is always fun to use.

As I often do, I started with an alway enjoyable face wash with P.A.A's Cube 2.0. The feel of washing with this soap is unlike any other. The cleansing quality is great and the residual slickness boosts the slickness of any shaving soap you might use after.

I did a four-pass shave with the D.S.S 2017 (A&F Fierce) soap with a forth use Gem PTFE blade and ended up with a super sweet bbs shave.

I followed up with my ritual use of P.A.A's Alum block, some Dickinson's Witch Hazel and then some matching D.S.S. 2017 aftershave.

I'm a huge fan of this scent and can share with you that if you're interested, you can find this very same soap sold from Stirling Soap Company nowadays as Light-Ish Red.

Rock on gentlemen, and enjoy your shave. 😉

SEptember

Razor: Supply Pro
Brush: AP Synbad
Bowl: Cayeun
Soap: Ghost Town Barber
Splash: Ghost Town Barber

Two pass head shave dial setting two. First use of the Supply Pro - surprising results. Smooth shave. I can see the angle working well as a head shaver; ever better than a face shaver; kind of like Leaf. Glad I got to use it in SEptember!

Razor: Gem 1912
Blade: Gem SS PTFE (14)
Brush: Omega boar
Soap: Stirling Baker Street
Balm: Proraso White
Aftershave: Aqua Velva
EdT: Pecksniff’s Professional

The handle doesn’t stay tight all the time in this razor. Every once in a while it loosens. So far I’ve always caught it before it does any harm. I should work on it before it does though.

EE15518B-BB7F-49D2-9CE6-2AAD5E0274F4.jpeg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Single Edge September (SEptember) 2022
20220926_172443~2.jpg

Razor: GEM Feather Weight Deluxe
Blade: Personna GEM (3)
Brush: Prometheus Churning Candy (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave: TFS Intense Line - Tabacum Crepito

Superb shave! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11944428

September 26, 2022

Pre-shave: Noxzema face wash + hyaluronic acid serum
Razor: Colonial General v.2 ... Rocca handle
Blade: Kai Titan Mild
Lather: Good ol' ARKO

Feeling so LEMONY this evening, after a shave with Arko and a splash of Sicilian Lemon. The Colonial Gen'l v.2 gives a fantastic shave, on par with Blackland's Vector. As far as shaves go, I can't find any difference between the two. Except the General is a little heavier, of course.

And the lather? ... Arko never lets me down and I enjoy the scent. Lemon scents never last very long, but the Sicilian Lemon is quite strong and lasts maybe twenty minutes or so. Bracing!
Arko Shave 9-26-22.jpg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
SEptember

Tonight’s luxury shave
RazoRock Hawk V3OC
Schick Proline P-series (17)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Simpson Wee Scot 13mm badger brush
Pre-shave: hot shower
Lather: Canada Shaving Soap, face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: Neutrogena Hydro Boost gel cream

So I went steep… And I didn’t have to hold my skin tight for a clean neck. And I overdid shaving the left side of my jawline and got some weepers. They’re gone.

Razor: Blackland Vector (73)
Blade: KAI Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG (8)
Pre-Shave: Hot shower
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Lather: Stirling Soap Co Unscented With Beeswax
Aftershave: Cold water rinse; Stirling Sandalwood Post Shave Balm

No nicks; No irritation; Very close and Very smooth. A pleasant DFS++ steep angle shave.

Shave log summary 20220924

Cheers!!!

Tuesday SEptemboar 27th- today's shave was two passes, with a bit of cleanup; the end result was a typical DFS, 9/10, a couple of small weepers, but nothing serious:

Razor: Schick Golden 500- Schick be nimble and Schick be quick, shaves just fine with the blade I picked :)
Blade: Chinese Schick injector (3)
Lather: Canada Shave Soap
Brush: Yaqi boar

Be well all!

PXL_20220927_162918025.PORTRAIT_2.jpg

SEptember shave #14 on 36-hours growth
  • 1946-49 Eversharp Schick G1 injector
  • vintage Personna blade (1)
  • Daveli Farms small batch artisan sheep fat soap in Orange, Cedarwood, and Oak Moss scent
  • Fendrihan synthetic brush
  • La Toja aftershave balm
PXL_20220927_133507237.jpg

First time using a G-type injector. I thought about using one of my recently acquired Eversharp Hydro-magic blades (a cartridge is in the box above), but I thought better of it because every blade I've ejected from this cartridge looks to have a corroded edge (carbon steel :facep:). Instead, I loaded a NOS vintage Personna stainless blade. I also used this same artisan soap for the third shave in a row, this time with my synthetic brush. I really like this Daveli Farms soap. It's only $8! Here is a photo of the label for those curious about it. The ingredients couldn't be more straightforward and honest.

PXL_20220927_142504697.jpg

This G-type weighs in at only 31 grams and is impressively easy to maneuver and really well-balanced. The Personna blade in this G-type with this shaving soap was so smooth on the first pass that it inspired me to chase BBS, which I achieved in two passes plus touch ups. I did get a couple minor weepers (chin and corner of my mouth) on the touch ups. Nothing that didn't stop with a cold water splash. I'm easily set until Thursday morning. I would rate the shave as 9.5/10.

Top Bottom