What's new

Official Clubman site offering 50% off all aftershaves with free shipping

I got my 3 bottles. My 12oz bottle of The Veg is absolutely abysmal smelling. It didn't leak, but a small round plastic bit fell on the floor when I opened it, which is apparently a necessary part because now the bottle needs to stay upright to not leak.

I don't know whether to throw the bottle away, set it on fire, or just keep it on display as a reminder to make better decisions in the future.

I'm new to the Veg as well. Like any other scent, it should not be judged by how it smells when you first put it on. When it's first applied, I get a fairly strong medicinal/moth-ball smell with the lilac and it's not that pleasant. Try this: Put some Veg on the back of your hand and then give it about 15 min. to settle and then give it a sniff. At that point what I get from the scent is powder and lilac. I think the scent is nice and it's pleasant. Having said that, I don't know if I like enough to buy it again but I won't have any problems using up what I have and enjoying it.

I would just transfer it to a glass bottle (which most people recommend anyway). Hot sauce bottles work very well and are inexpensive to purchase online with the reducers.

I would just transfer it to a glass bottle (which most people recommend anyway). Hot sauce bottles work very well and are inexpensive to purchase online with the reducers.
The hot sauce bottle I used was 5 oz which does not work well with a 6oz bottle of AS. Well it was fine because my bottle was partially gone when I transfered. Anyway I used the last of a bottle of soy sauce in jerky marinade today and realized it is a bigger glass bottle, with a removeable reducer for easy filling and controled distribution. Just thought I would add soy sauce to the list of possible AS decanters.

I got my 3 bottles. My 12oz bottle of The Veg is absolutely abysmal smelling. It didn't leak, but a small round plastic bit fell on the floor when I opened it, which is apparently a necessary part because now the bottle needs to stay upright to not leak.

I don't know whether to throw the bottle away, set it on fire, or just keep it on display as a reminder to make better decisions in the future.

The first thing you should always do with a problem purchase is take a quick photo and send it to the vendor. As far as the scent goes, when I switched to DE shaving, I read the "favorite aftershaves" and "what aftershave did you use today" threads here, saw "The Veg" constantly mentioned and bought the hype. I splash it on every few weeks or so. I don't really want to, but that's the law!😉

I've amassed quite a collection of aftershaves, colognes, edt's and edp's over the years, including the entire Clubman line, and Lilac Vegetal is among my least favorite, but it has its moments. As someone said, make sure you decant all your aftershaves that come in plastic into glass bottles.

The first thing you should always do with a problem purchase is take a quick photo and send it to the vendor. As far as the scent goes, when I switched to DE shaving, I read the "favorite aftershaves" and "what aftershave did you use today" threads here, saw "The Veg" constantly mentioned and bought the hype. I splash it on every few weeks or so. I don't really want to, but that's the law!😉

I've amassed quite a collection of aftershaves, colognes, edt's and edp's over the years, including the entire Clubman line, and Lilac Vegetal is among my least favorite, but it has its moments. As someone said, make sure you decant all your aftershaves that come in plastic into glass bottles.
I've learned not to smell straight from the bottle. I does smell better on the hands/face than from the bottle. If you have any good leads on glass bottles, let me know. Hot sauce bottles are a little pricey on Amazon/eBay. I'm not sure if that's just how much they cost or if it's because of COVID.

I paid a few dollars less than this for 24 bottles in 2018. This is for 30, but always check the seller ratings closely. On Amazon, I think only 3rd party sellers have dasher bottles in stock. An alternative is to go into a dollar store, buy a load of hot sauce bottles for $1 per, and either spill out the hot sauce and clean the jars, caps and reducers thoroughly, or spill the hot sauce into huge jars like those for tomato sauce, use it but be sure to keep plenty of Pepcid and Prilosec on hand!

As someone said, make sure you decant all your aftershaves that come in plastic into glass bottles.

What is the reasoning for this? I know plastic bottles are good to drink from unless it is labelled PETE 5 but is there a benefit to transferring aftershaves to glass bottles? Longer lasting fragrance or something?

What is the reasoning for this? I know plastic bottles are good to drink from unless it is labelled PETE 5 but is there a benefit to transferring aftershaves to glass bottles? Longer lasting fragrance or something?[/QUOTE

Other than Old Spice and perhaps Brut, the rest of the aftershaves that are sold in plastic use a very cheap plastic that alters the smell of the aftershave. The Clubman bottles in particular are very cheap and decanting into glass does enhance the scent. Compare the hard plastic of an Old Spice bottle (of course nothing compares to the days when it was in a glass bottle) to that of Clubman, Aqua Velva or Mennen's. Proctor & Gamble spent a considerable amount of money on R&D in converting Old Spice from glass to plastic so the scent wouldn't suffer. The same can't be said of the other brands, although Brut might be a harder plastic than the rest.

Gotcha. Was Old Spice glass though? I always thought the familiar tan bottle was porcelain.

Very interesting article here from 2014 on the conversion from glass to plastic. The bottle was glass but the color was porcelain.

1608829531163.png

Very interesting article here from 2014 on the conversion from glass to plastic. The bottle was glass but the color was porcelain.

View attachment 1199301
Interesting article. All these years i assumed it was porcelain or ceramic.

Interesting article. All these years i assumed it was porcelain or ceramic.

P&G may have sweetened the scent of Old Spice, weakened its strength a bit, and angered the community even more by switching the bottles to plastic, but at least they put some time and effort into a better plastic (if that makes any sense!). I wonder why the decision was made for the USA market but not Canada, Europe or India? Old Spice is still sold there in glass bottles.

Spent a little time washing a couple of hot sauce bottles and decanting my Clubman AS and Special Reserve, which was only half my AS order. I've had these bottles for several years, I I didn't use the Tabasco a lot, and I keep refilling the Texas Pete bottles with vinegar when I use up the liquid. I have 2 more of the Texas Pete bottles with peppers in them still, to refill for more sauce.
For the AS, I used a Texas Pete hot pepper sauce bottle with reducer, and for the Special Reserve, I used a Tabasco hot sauce bottle.
I cleaned them out, and shook them up with a few drops of Dawn and hot water.
For the AS, the mouth of the bottle was large enough to just put the Clubman in it and squirt it in.
For the Special Reserve, I had to use an eye dropper. It takes 47 eyedropper fill ups to fill the Tabasco bottle.
IMG_6486.JPG

Spent a little time washing a couple of hot sauce bottles and decanting my Clubman AS and Special Reserve, which was only half my AS order. I've had these bottles for several years, I I didn't use the Tabasco a lot, and I keep refilling the Texas Pete bottles with vinegar when I use up the liquid. I have 2 more of the Texas Pete bottles with peppers in them still, to refill for more sauce.
For the AS, I used a Texas Pete hot pepper sauce bottle with reducer, and for the Special Reserve, I used a Tabasco hot sauce bottle.
I cleaned them out, and shook them up with a few drops of Dawn and hot water.
For the AS, the mouth of the bottle was large enough to just put the Clubman in it and squirt it in.
For the Special Reserve, I had to use an eye dropper. It takes 47 eyedropper fill ups to fill the Tabasco bottle.
View attachment 1200040

Good work! Before I bought the 5 oz. dasher bottles, I used one or two hot sauce bottles. I found that the hardest part of getting the hot sauce smell out was not from the glass bottle, but the plastic orifice reducer. That took a bunch of soaks.

The next step is heating the Clubman bottles (when they're empty) to the point that peeling off the label from the Clubman bottles and affixing them to the glass bottles is easy. There are several methods which are described in various threads here.

As far as transferring the aftershave, dollar store plastic funnels work wonders:
1609001264957.png

Good work! Before I bought the 5 oz. dasher bottles, I used one or two hot sauce bottles. I found that the hardest part of getting the hot sauce smell out was not from the glass bottle, but the plastic orifice reducer. That took a bunch of soaks.

The next step is heating the Clubman bottles (when they're empty) to the point that peeling off the label from the Clubman bottles and affixing them to the glass bottles is easy. There are several methods which are described in various threads here.

As far as transferring the aftershave, dollar store plastic funnels work wonders: View attachment 1200161

I'm thinking that a trip to the flea market is in order to find some vintage bottles.
The labels are far too large to reuse on these little bottles, but would easily fit some of the bigger vintage bottles I've seen.
Most that I have found need cork stoppers, and with the multitude to different opening sizes, finding corks is going to to be the hard part.

Top Bottom