What's new

Off Topic - Patrick McManus

While I'm not really much of a reader (it puts me to sleep), I love Patrick McManus books. I'm not sure if he still does, but he used to have a monthly column in Outdoor Life and many of his stories have appeared in Field & Stream, Sports Ill., Reader's Digest, and others. He is a humorist and I find him extremely funny and have laughed till I cried many times. My wife just doesn't get it however.

His books are all compilations of random stories. You could read the books from back to front and they would make just as much sense. He writes of his outdoor experiences growing up, mostly fishing, hunting, hiking, etc. He tells stories of his mentor, the old crusty "Rancid Crabtree", his friend "Fenton Quagmire", his sister "The Troll", his dog "Strange", and the predicaments they all encounter in the great outdoors. He writes of crossing the pasture to get to the crick to fish and encounters SMCs and FMCs - slow mean cows, and fast mean cows. FMCs being the bulls. His definition of an off-road vehicle - "someone else's car".

If you enjoy the great outdoors and like reading humor, pick up one and give it a read.

His books that I own include:

Never sniff a gift fish - one of my favorites
A fine & pleasant misery - probably my favorite
Real ponies don't go oink
The night the bear ate Goombaw
The grasshopper trap
They shoot canoes, don't they
Rubber Legs & white tail-hairs
The good samaritin strikes again
How I got this way
Whatchagot Stew - cook book

Jerry

Greetings Jerry,

I own all of his books. I have come close to seriously hurting myself from laughter while reading his stories. My wife will read the same story, shrug her shoulders, and look at me like I'm a loon. Give it to another guy and he's rolling on the floor. Good Stuff!

Top Bottom