What's new

Off to a rocky start...

Hello Gents,

I got into "wet shaving" for a couple of reasons.

1. Closer shaves with less irritation.
2. I love getting geared up. And collecting all the necessary and unnecessary stuff.

Now I know that I've only been at this for one weekend now. Yet so far I am off to a very rocky start. My neck looks like I've been shaving with broken glass and then using poison ivy as an aftershave. So I will now look to you friendly folks for a bit of guidance by asking a few questions?

Tools:
Skin Food, 2234, Proraso, Taylor Rose, HD, Merkur blade.

Questions:

1. I've noticed that after the first pass, NS, I'm not seeing too much progress. Is that normal for a beginner? (I think this maybe leads to more haste and a heavy hand...?)

2. I've never had any luck with streching... If I stretch instant burn and not stretching leaves behind way too much. To stretch or not to stretch that is the question? Will my face finally adapt or what?

3. As mentioned above my neck is looking really rough. There are so many variables? I can't tell if it is my angle, my lather, the pressure, moving too fast too slow, swiping too short or too long, not enough water, water's too hot.... (BTW my neck is covered in what I call wheepers, those little nicks that bleed then get hot and irritated.)

4. Any other helpful advice and words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tito

So,

I've only been a part of this wetshaving-world for a few months, but I may be able to answer some questions and give some advice.

First, under "tools" you list "Merkur blade". Do you have only one blade? If so, is it the blade that was shipped in the box with your HD? If you answered yes to the last question please do yourself the favour of throwing that blade in the trash.

Tito said:
3. As mentioned above my neck is looking really rough. There are so many variables? I can't tell if it is my angle, my lather, the pressure, moving too fast too slow, swiping too short or too long, not enough water, water's too hot....

When I started I had some issues with my neck and I think that most novices have the same problems. The most helpful tip that I can give is "get to know your neck beard". Really. The hair on my neck grows in many directions, so I have to shave in many directions. For example, my first pass (the NS pass for some) on the right side of my neck has me shaving from the centre of my neck out and up (if my NS pass is actually WSW-ENE). I do the opposite on the opposite side of my neck (i.e., ESE-WNW). Learn about the direction of growth of the hair on your neck; make sure that your "with the grain" pass is actually with the grain.

If you think that you have a problem with too much pressure, then you have a problem with too much pressure. In my experience, if you would actually describe the pressure used without using words like "negative" or "zero" then you are applying too much pressure. Similarly, if you think that you may be going too fast, then slow down. The only way to go too slow, IMHO, is if you go so slowly that the lather dries on your face.

If you think that your lather may be problematic I would suggest that you check out this - if this can't help you build a great lather, then I don't know what can.

Getting the right angle can be tricky, but it is possible. I found the best angle by trial-and-error. Basically, I hold my HD so that the blade (inside) is about parallel to my skin (i.e., the handle is approximately perpendicular to my skin) then I tilt the handle just enough so that the blade cut the hairs. I find that a shallow angle works best for me.

I'm certain that there are other things that you can try, but this should help... and I'm certain that others will chime in and mention the things that I forgot to mention (and will repeat some of the things that I did mention).

Tito,
Your reasons for wet shaving are good and probably more honest than quite a few folks are willing to admit about themselves.:smile: As you have only been at this for a few shaves, it is important that you understand that learning to wet shave is like losing weight - it is not something that occurs overnight. It requires a commitment and some time.

NMMB has given you some good advice. I may repeat some of it while attempting my own answers to your questions.

1. I've noticed that after the first pass, NS, I'm not seeing too much progress. Is that normal for a beginner? (I think this maybe leads to more haste and a heavy hand...?)
When shaving with a DE, every pass you make should have the goal of gradual beard reduction (it is like sanding a piece of wood). If you try to remove all or even most of your whiskers with one pass, you will experience pain and bleeding. With light pressure and proper blade angle, the razor should progressively take you beard down without causing skin health problems.

2. I've never had any luck with streching... If I stretch instant burn and not stretching leaves behind way too much. To stretch or not to stretch that is the question? Will my face finally adapt or what?
Stretching has been the topic of more than one post. As with quite a few things related to wet shaving, it works for some and it doesn't for others. Instead of focusing on actually stretching the skin, you may simply try pressing a finger into the skin to merely hold it in place.

3. As mentioned above my neck is looking really rough. There are so many variables? I can't tell if it is my angle, my lather, the pressure, moving too fast too slow, swiping too short or too long, not enough water, water's too hot.... (BTW my neck is covered in what I call wheepers, those little nicks that bleed then get hot and irritated.)
Since you are new to wet shaving, my first guess would be that the problem is the lather, the pressure, and the blade angle. As NMMB suggests, read the lather primer. Then, go practice making a lather. You don't have to shave to make a lather. I would build 4 or 5 a day for a few days to get your technique down. The quality of one's lather can be the single biggest difference maker in the quality of the shave. Mastering pressure and angle will also come with practice.

4. Any other helpful advice and words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.
Advice/Encouragement - Hang in there! Keep reading old posts here and keep asking questions. If you want to succeed at wet shaving and are willing to work at it a little bit, then YOU WILL SUCCEED and will shortly be getting the best shaves of your life.

Keep working on it and keep us posted.

NMMB and Kyle,

Those were 2 great posts! You guys have a very nice, gentle way of providing encouragement and advice in just the right fashion. I've been at this for many months now--just a blip compared to some of the sages here!--but I learned a lot just from reviewing those posts.

Tito,

Hang in there, baby! You've done the hard work just getting this far--the first few steps are the hardest. Now just go slowly, read lots of technique posts, keep asking questions, and refine your technique.

Also, expect to get better, then reach a plateau--or 2 or 3! Don't get discouraged--celebrate when things go well, and congratulate yourself with a new cream or cologne! You're in this for the long haul--so have fun!

Thanks!!! Everyone for the input. I can see a very steep learning curve is involved in just getting the basics.

I tend to ask lots of questions, so if I'm becoming a nusiance please let me know.

1. Thanks for the lather practice info... I did it a couple of times and I get tons of very thick billowy lather. I have the Taylor's Rose and Proraso Green Tube. I find that the Rose whips up nice and might be a little more slippery of the two. Does this hold true for most of you? Or am I doing something wrong?

2. What is the group verdict on the Proaso for people who have sensitive skin? Does it cause any problems for anyone?

3. Of the 2 creams which should I concentrate more on using a beginner?

4. There is so much of this stuff that I want to try. I can't wait to get past this raw neck learning phase!!!

5. I'm gonna take a day off tomorrow and give the face a rest. While doing so I'll be practicing whipping up batches of lather. My next hurdle will be the razor... blade angle, swipes & pressure.

Thanks
Tito

Tito said:
I tend to ask lots of questions, so if I'm becoming a nuisance please let me know.
Pleas don't hesitate to ask questions.

Tito said:
1. Thanks for the lather practice info... I did it a couple of times and I get tons of very thick billowy lather. I have the Taylor's Rose and Proraso Green Tube. I find that the Rose whips up nice and might be a little more slippery of the two. Does this hold true for most of you? Or am I doing something wrong?
You could probably find a handful of gents that would argue for either brand. I personally find the Taylor's to be a more lubricating cream, however, I believe both to be excellent.

Tito said:
2. What is the group verdict on the Proraso for people who have sensitive skin? Does it cause any problems for anyone?
It seems as though I've heard a few folks speak of a mild reaction to the Proraso. I don't believe it to be a common problem.

Tito said:
As long as you aren't allergic to one, they should both serve you well.

Tito said:
5. I'm gonna take a day off tomorrow and give the face a rest. While doing so I'll be practicing whipping up batches of lather. My next hurdle will be the razor... blade angle, swipes & pressure.
You might consider going for a single N-S pass shave. There is nothing like a tender face to make you especially conscious of your razor pressure.

Hey there,

I'm really a newbie at this, but have suddenly had excellent results. I know how you feel though, my first week was terrible but it does get better.

I got great results when I switched to a Gillette Adjustable with Derby blades. I found this combo to give a very, very gentle shave. When dialed down to a 2 or 3 you have a lot of tolerance to find the right angle of attack. I've read in a few posts that you can 'hear' the sweet spot and it's true! Listen to your face!

Proraso vs Taylor's? I have both and enjoy both very much. I would say that my favourites at the moment are Trumper's Coconut, Taylor's Avocado and the Colonel's Bay Rum. All give very comfortable shaves.

Stick with it, it gets better with practice!

Chris

What a nice post! Its great to be able to share some tips, isn't it?

Congrats on finding your sweet spot! The sounds of shaving just don't lie. . .

Tito said:
I tend to ask lots of questions, so if I'm becoming a nusiance please let me know.

Asking questions is a part of the game here... you will almost always get an answer to almost any question, whether or not you think it is stupid/annoying/etc

Tito said:

You may want to try changing the water-cream ratio a little to see if you can improve the performance of the Proraso... but in general I do find that Taylors will give me a nicer looking lather than Proraso (though the proraso is very slick and gives a great shave).

Tito said:
2. What is the group verdict on the Proaso for people who have sensitive skin? Does it cause any problems for anyone?

I've heard it mentioned, but then again I have probably heard more mention of reactions to T&H ultimate comfort cream. The best that I can suggest is that if it bothers you, don't use it; with so many good creams out there, it isn't worth suffering through the discomfort of a cream that doesn't agree with you.

Tito said:

Why not use both? Hell, add a few more to the mix (note: I am not actually suggesting that you mix your creams - though I suppose that you are entitled to do so if you wish).

Tito said:
4. There is so much of this stuff that I want to try. I can't wait to get past this raw neck learning phase!!!

You'll get there... it may take a few days/weeks, but you'll get there... and in a month or two maybe you'll be the one here answering these questions.

Tito said:

I have to disagree with Kyle here. I hate the single-pass shave... I don't doubt that it is less irritating, but really... a one pass shave is like being served your coffee in a thimble - it just won't do it (there were some other examples of un-satisfying things that I could liken to a one-pass shave, but I expect that a moderator would be a little annoyed).

NMMB said:
I have to disagree with Kyle here. I hate the single-pass shave... I don't doubt that it is less irritating, but really... a one pass shave is like being served your coffee in a thimble - it just won't do it (there were some other examples of un-satisfying things that I could liken to a one-pass shave, but I expect that a moderator would be a little annoyed).
It's not that I'm an advocate of the single pass (which you could also equivocate to paying a hooker to hug you), it's just that a tender face can be a good learning opportunity.

Kyle said:
It's not that I'm an advocate of the single pass (which you could also equivocate to paying a hooker to hug you), it's just that a tender face can be a good learning opportunity.

I understand... it is just that the one-pass shave is such an UN-satisfying experience (to call it underwhelming would be an undesrstatement on par with Atlantic ocean "a little wet"). However, a "day off" also gives your skin a break, but doesn't make you suffer through the wet-shaving equivalent of the three hump "bump & pump".:001_smile

NMMB said:
I understand... it is just that the one-pass shave is such an UN-satisfying experience (to call it underwhelming would be an undesrstatement on par with Atlantic ocean "a little wet"). However, a "day off" also gives your skin a break, but doesn't make you suffer through the wet-shaving equivalent of the three hump "bump & pump".:001_smile
All very true. You could say, however, that the benefit from a visit to the proctologist, while unpleasant, certainly has it's benefits. That being said, it is certainly not someting that one should need or want to do on a daily basis.:biggrin:

Top Bottom