What's new

Of the Revolutions of Razor Blades

I wonder, however, if the different names are all made to the same specifications. Lots of things come from the same factory and off the same machinery but they are not necessarily the same.
Not only same specs but often different allowable tolerances is what determines different price points. A tighter window of allowable tolerances means more blades not acceptable means a need to charge more for basically same blade to cover that cost.

Not only same specs but often different allowable tolerances is what determines different price points. A tighter window of allowable tolerances means more blades not acceptable means a need to charge more for basically same blade to cover that cost.
I can underwrite your point in full for mass produced items yet the dud rate over all Gillette blades, irrespective of price, is astoundingly low. So I’m not sure if it is a relevant factor in this specific case.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I think the OP was actually on to something that he just did an exceptionally poor job of explaining. And he APPEARED to have more anger issues than a Snickers bar could treat. As English is my native tongue, I of COURSE think I have a right to criticize all things foreign.....but I think he may NOT have been an American from birth.

Though he did ACT a bit like one!

Well, well, well! I don't know how I missed this thread. I see some of you actually took the bait. :lol:
A user with only one post. A 19 year old telling blade tales. Did he actully misbehave? I see a post of his deleted.
All I can say is thanks to the mods. This has happenned before unfortunately.

I am alahatala there is another person whom just joined our group as alahatala.

will the moderator do something about this

Please pm me

This is for the moderator or others that can stop this confusion.
Wait a minute! I have always been known as alahatala. Everyone has called me that since I was in diapers. My school teachers, my barber, my postman and the snot nosed little kid that lives down the street. I insist that this other alahatala must change his name! I am not kidding! This is serious! Mods please make the other alahatala change his name!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Wait a minute! I have always been known as alahatala. Everyone has called me that since I was in diapers. My school teachers, my barber, my postman and the snot nosed little kid that lives down the street. I insist that this other alahatala must change his name! I am not kidding! This is serious! Mods please make the other alahatala change his name!
It's like deja Vu all over again...

lasta

Blade Biter
This is the translated from Russian version of what was posted.

Reversible shaving blades​

I read a lot of reviews on different shaving blades. Very often I met with the opinion that these blades are good, but these are the misfortunes and you cannot buy them. I will reveal a little the secret of the types of blades and how they differ. There will be no specifics, there is the concept of "commercial secret". I will not show a photo of the equipment either.

So, all blades are divided into three types. Unchrome plated, chrome plated and platinum plated chrome. Accordingly, their price is different, incrementally. All, absolutely all blades are made on the same equipment, from the same steel, with the same technological parameters. The quality requirements for all blades are the same, no exceptions. That is, the "Sputnik" and "Gillette" blades are exactly the same, except for the coating.
View attachment 1341654

It all starts with a raw tape, which is formed by a press into blanks for future blades. But it is "soft" (raw) and you won't even be able to sharpen it
View attachment 1341655

The perforated tape is heat treated. Gets "stiff" and ready to be sharpened.
Then a marking is applied to the tape, the name of the brand of the blades. At this moment, different inscriptions can be applied to one batch of tape, which will determine their further processing.
The entire belt goes to the sharpening machine. Different brands of blades are sharpened on the same equipment with the same parameters. After sharpening, the machine cuts the tape into separate blades.
View attachment 1341656

At this stage, there is a constant quality control. Various microscopes, calibers, etc. are used.
View attachment 1341657
Then the blades are washed from dirt. And here comes the turning point in the fate of our little friends. Some of them are sprayed with a chrome coating, which ensures the longevity of the cutting edge. And more budget products will bypass this procedure.
All of the blades then go on to apply a polymer coating to the edge for a soft shave.
There is quality control at all stages of production. Product tolerances are minimal and are the same for all brands of blades. I can say with pride that the quality is higher than that of our competitors, which is proved by shaving tests :)
Then the blades are packed and sent to stores.
There is a difference between the blades, but on the first and even the third or fourth shaves it is not realistic to feel it. I think a more psychological factor is at work here.

A bit crumpled and without specifics, but unfortunately I can't do it any other way. If you have any questions, I will try to answer. Don't even ask the numbers, I won't tell you.

HI luvmysuper,

Can you post the link to the original post?

Thank you.

I find it difficult to believe that a blade plant cannot make dozens of different types of blades.

There can be variation in input steel specification & metallurgy, differences in heat treatment, tempering duration & temperature, cryogenic/ ice treatment before tempering, differences in angles & numbers of grinds. These alone can generate doxzens of different types of blades. For example, Feather blades famously use two grinds/honing stages, whereas most other blades have three.

In addition, there are also other factors that make major differences in how a blade shaves. Sputtering processes can make major differences in the chrome coatings, based on how thick the coating & duration & type of sputtering. Platinum /platinum nitride, titanium, or similar coatings would make major differences in the final product too.

Teflon is another major variation, depending on how thick the teflon coating is.

I would not expect a low level factory worker to be aware of these differences. He would only see that all the blades go through similar processes, & wouldn't know the details.

The differences are probably known only by the metallurgist or plant overseer, who is probably the person who designs these changes.

@luvmysuper The metals thickness data was my assumption. Having a couple of decades experience in manufacturing (heavy engineering), I didn't believe the blade manufacturers would grind the thickness of the blades unless they had to, and stainless blades didn't appear to have a ground finish. I looked into the international standards for cold rolled sheet at blade thickness, and that was the standard deviation covered in those specs. Essentially plus or minus half of one thousandth of an inch from the nominal size.

They also correlated with @Esox of Mike's findings on blade thickness. Although some coated blades may appear marginally thicker, if they were already towards the upper limit before coating.

Aside from the commonality of blade thickness, material grade, heat treatment, and coatings, there is potential for divergence in the edge geometries.

The opening post suggests that Astra Platinum, Gillette Silver Blue, and Polsilver are all the same blade. Not a prayer! I could easily blind test those and know one from the other. In my primary razor, the Polsilvers tug so badly, they feel like they're trying to rip the hair from my face, the Gillette Silver Blue feels almost serrated, it's that scratchy, and the Astra Platinum is wonderful. Those findings have been consistent across different batches of the same blades.
Here's a link to Sandvik razor blade steel with their thickness tolerances stated.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I find it difficult to believe that a blade plant cannot make dozens of different types of blades.

There can be variation in input steel specification & metallurgy, differences in heat treatment, tempering duration & temperature, cryogenic/ ice treatment before tempering, differences in angles & numbers of grinds. These alone can generate doxzens of different types of blades. For example, Feather blades famously use two grinds/honing stages, whereas most other blades have three.

In addition, there are also other factors that make major differences in how a blade shaves. Sputtering processes can make major differences in the chrome coatings, based on how thick the coating & duration & type of sputtering. Platinum /platinum nitride, titanium, or similar coatings would make major differences in the final product too.

Teflon is another major variation, depending on how thick the teflon coating is.

I would not expect a low level factory worker to be aware of these differences. He would only see that all the blades go through similar processes, & wouldn't know the details.

The differences are probably known only by the metallurgist or plant overseer, who is probably the person who designs these changes.
^

This! My son in law works in a factory making metal products for sale to dozens of buyers, several models for each. Each is different from all the others. All are manufactured on the same machines utilizing the same basic process but obviously using dozens of variations. Also that was a fascinating tidbit about Feathers. It makes total sense and reminds me of the different bevels on my Japanese Gyuto and my French chef's knife. The Gyuto lacks that final less acute bevel to strengthen the edge. It is simpler, sharper, and more delicate.

There is nothing as pointless as shaving experts having a heated discussion over various razor blades. It by far is the most controversial and subjective topic in the shaving community. I'm not sure why that is. All I know is that it is.

And you know what? I believe all the opinions expressed are correct.

They're great shavers!

Someone posted electron microscope images of razor blade edges a few years back, and at that magnification the differences are quite dramatic.

The same machinery can produce different angle bevels, final polish can vary quite a bit, especially in width of the polished section, and the coarseness of the basic grind can vary.

I also suspect there are some minor differences in blade width as a result of changing the honing bevels. One of the nice things about a adjustable razor (FatBoys and Slims for me) is that a "harsh" blade can be tamed very easily by reducing the blade gap and exposure, and for "too mild" blades opening up the razor makes a huge difference.

I found Polsilvers to pull horribly and give me mediocre shaves until I opened up my FatBoy to 7 or 8, and Lord Platinums were skinning me until I cranked it down to 3. Both blades give very good shaves with those changes, and have good to excellent longevity. I'm sure there is very little difference in the width, but it's enough to notice in shaving.

Its a shame @Mischka doesnt log in anymore.

A few of us looked into this a couple years ago and we found that steel stock was held at ISO 9445 standards.

DE Blade Thicknesses - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/de-blade-thicknesses.540416/post-11189380

I'm not sure if that would allow for the variance in blade thicknesses between brands though.

in thick mm thick BLADE
0.00450” 0.114mm Gillette Nacet Stainless
0.00450” 0.114mm Shaverboy Super Stainless

0.00425” 0.108mm Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (0.089mm*)
0.00425” 0.108mm Lord Platinum

0.00410” 0.104mm Feather

0.00400” 0.102mm Astra Superior Stainless
0.00400” 0.102mm BIC Chrome Platinum
0.00400” 0.102mm Croma Diamant Stainless
0.00400” 0.102mm Derby Extra (pre 2016, current blade 0.089mm*)
0.00400” 0.102mm Gillette Sword
0.00400” 0.102mm Kai*
0.00400” 0.102mm Personna Med Prep
0.00400” 0.102mm Personna Platinum Chrome (Personna Red)
0.00400” 0.102mm Polsilver SI
0.00400” 0.102mm Rapira Platinum Lux
0.00400” 0.102mm Sharp Star
0.00400” 0.102mm Super Max Blue Diamond Titanium
0.00400” 0.102mm Vidyut Super Max Platinum
0.00400” 0.102mm Voskhod

0.00390” 0.099mm Bolzano Superinox
0.00390” 0.099mm Shark Super Chrome
0.00390” 0.099mm Treet Platinum Super Stainless

0.00375” 0.095mm Gillette New Improved Stainless
0.00375” 0.095mm Gillette Platinum
0.00375” 0.095mm Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus
0.00375” 0.095mm Trig Silver Edge
0.00375” 0.095mm Vidyut Super-Max
0.00375” 0.095mm Wizamet Super Iridium Extra Stainless
0.00375” 0.095mm Zorrik Super Platinum

0.00350” 0.089mm Astra Superior Platinum
0.00350” 0.089mm Gillette 7 O’Clock Sharp Edge
0.00350” 0.089mm Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Platinum
0.00350” 0.089mm Gillette Silver Blue
0.00350” 0.089mm Perma Sharp Stainless
0.00350” 0.089mm Sputnik
0.00350” 0.089mm Treet Platinum
0.00350” 0.089mm Wizamet Super Iridium

* Information from “DE Razor Blade Dimensions Table” in the ShaveWiki.

Blade coatings however, I firmly believe make a great difference in how we perceive sharpness and smoothness. Gillette started testing that in 1959.
Still on blades, different questions Mike. Do you think there is more, less, or the same blade vibration in a Gem with a PTFE vs Grande with a favourite blade? Does anyone sharpen their PTFE’s? Do you use the same speed in your stroke on both a Gem & Grande?
What blade do you use in the Grande?
I’m not interested in another razor. I am a little OCD about blades though.

Top Bottom