What's new

Of Blades And Razors

Well, its a bit of a conundrum. Isn't it? I recently received a Henson Ti Medium and I tried a Feather blade with a few shaves on it. Hacked the livin' hell outta my face. So I tried the Atra blades supplied with the razor and Wow! What a great shave. And I do not usually like Astras at all. Hmm. Maybe time to change my mind. My Tatara Masamune OC works beautifully with Feather blades as do all my razors. Perhaps the Henson likes new blades more. I also use PolSilvers, Wizamets and at times Voskhods. So going forward Ill be trying different blades with my different razors. I have to admit I was really surprised at the comfort the Astras provided. I have also found out that some of my razors will work better with "experienced" blades better than other razors.
Cheers

I am finding the same thing in that blades I have used with success in other razors won't do well in a new razor I try. I've started trying several pairings before I consider a blade or razor something that I don't like.

With a new razor, I usually have to use it several times to find the optimum angle. And perhaps a few more shaves before I get my technique dialed in. My advice is to put away the Feathers & enjoy the Astra's. After 5 - 10 shaves try a Feather.

With a new razor, I usually have to use it several times to find the optimum angle. And perhaps a few more shaves before I get my technique dialed in. My advice is to put away the Feathers & enjoy the Astra's. After 5 - 10 shaves try a Feather.
Yep, gonna do that for sure. Not sure why I had trouble with the Ti, I had the AL13 at one point and no issues ever. I'm going to chalk it up to another learning experience.

I am finding the same thing in that blades I have used with success in other razors won't do well in a new razor I try. I've started trying several pairings before I consider a blade or razor something that I don't like.
Looks like that's my way forward. As dmshaver says, get your technique down and then experiment with blades.

I haven’t used a Henson, but my understanding is that it has very tight tolerances designed for Astra SP blades, and that the shaving angle is set by the angled top cap.

I also have heard that the edge on a Feather is ground at a different angle than other blades, so that may be why it wouldn’t work as well in the Henson.

Probably other blades manufactured at the Gillette St. Petersburg plant would pair well with it too.

I have a collection of razors and a collection of blades. No blade works in all razors. No razor works with all blades. You have to find the right blade for every razor. In some instances there may be several blades that will work.

The Henson has a unique angle and if you don't get the angle right, a Feather will certainly give irritation. With the right angle it is quite okay. I think the uber sharp Feather works better in the Henson Mild. I agree that the Astra (green) blade it comes with really works well in the medium Henson, while the Astra blue does not work as well, for me.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
For mild razors and if a fellow wants a little more blade feel there are a few blades that are wider than a standard Gillette Astra and work very well in these mild razors.
I find the Kai SS that is 9/1000 of a inch wider or 4.5/1000(.0045) of a inch per side, sharp & smooth with excellent longevity will give a nice boost to most mild razors if that is what fellow wants. I use them is a few razors I really enjoy.
Good to have a few tucks for those great mild razors you buy but hardly use as your technique matures.
YY KAI SS DE Blade Kai .871inch wide Astra SP .862 wide-2.jpg
Have some great shaves!

I like to use Feather blades in my medium AL13, but I have to really watch my technique and make sure I have the angle correct. Then, I get a super smooth shave. I used a Feather two days this week, but today I changed to an Astra (green). It also did really well, but I still might prefer the Feather.

Top Bottom