Staff member
A great philosopher once said:

"Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you"

That in a nutshell expresses my affinity for alcohol based aftershaves.
I know.
There are guys out there who shriek in consternation at the concept of putting alcohol on their face.
"You're damaging your skin!" they say.
"You need a moisturizing balm!" they claim.
"Do these pants make my butt look big?" they inquire.
Ok, they don't actually inquire that, I'm just poking some good natured fun.

I like big burns and I can not lie,
some other fellas want to deny...

But the aftershave burn is not a painful experience to sweat and swear and struggle through.
No, indeed it is a pleasant experience for me.
It signifies a completion of the ritual. It's a part of my daily routine that I've become so accustomed to and look forward to so much so that the concept of using anything other than an alcohol based aftershave seems foreign, alien, and unnatural.

I rue the day that alcohol based aftershaves go away completely because, you know - our modern society trends to the insistence that we all be protected from what some feel is not "good for us", and the decision will be taken out of our hands.
We'll be left with nothing but nurturing, nourishing milk balms full of skin replenishing essential ingredients.
Go ahead, laugh. It's already happening. First you reduce, then you eliminate.

I accept our fate. I recognize that the modern man's demand for pampered skin is a path we are marching down.

But I shall not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
My stock of Everclear shall keep things right.

A great philosopher once said:

"Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you"

That in a nutshell expresses my affinity for alcohol based aftershaves.
I know.
There are guys out there who shriek in consternation at the concept of putting alcohol on their face.
"You're damaging your skin!" they say.
"You need a moisturizing balm!" they claim.
"Do these pants make my butt look big?" they inquire.
Ok, they don't actually inquire that, I'm just poking some good natured fun.

I like big burns and I can not lie,
some other fellas want to deny...

But the aftershave burn is not a painful experience to sweat and swear and struggle through.
No, indeed it is a pleasant experience for me.
It signifies a completion of the ritual. It's a part of my daily routine that I've become so accustomed to and look forward to so much so that the concept of using anything other than an alcohol based aftershave seems foreign, alien, and unnatural.

I rue the day that alcohol based aftershaves go away completely because, you know - our modern society trends to the insistence that we all be protected from what some feel is not "good for us", and the decision will be taken out of our hands.
We'll be left with nothing but nurturing, nourishing milk balms full of skin replenishing essential ingredients.
Go ahead, laugh. It's already happening. First you reduce, then you eliminate.

I accept our fate. I recognize that the modern man's demand for pampered skin is a path we are marching down.

But I shall not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
My stock of Everclear shall keep things right.
Excellent post! Long live alcohol aftershaves!

Unpopular opinion: this is why I like Ethos Grooming splash. It actually has enough alcohol in it, menthol optional. It also has stuff for your face, but you would need to read that because it is not sticky or cloudy like many modern aftershaves. It's just that it cost as much as most artisan EdT.

I'm still a (relatively) young man who is late in coming to wetshaving, and really prefer the bracing experience of alcoholic aftershaves.

My preferred combination, since I'm a spoiled first-worlder, is an alcohol-based splash followed by an alcohol free balm. Have your cake and eat it, too!

But if I had to pick, alcohol splash all the way.

I love them all, but if I had to choose one post, it'd be an aftershave splash. I sometimes wonder if *some* guys who use the drying excuse are just nancies. The alcohol evaporates in seconds... Not much time to magically steal all the moisture from the many layers of your skin? I dunno, ymmv etc.

Nothing soothes my skin like a high proof splash. Any irritation or sensitivity from a rough shave is gone almost instantly. And I LOVE the burn.

#CatO'9tails

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I love them all, but if I had to choose one post, it'd be an aftershave splash. I sometimes wonder if *some* guys who use the drying excuse are just nancies. The alcohol evaporates in seconds... Not much time to magically steal all the moisture from the many layers of your skin? I dunno, ymmv etc.

Nothing soothes my skin like a high proof splash. Any irritation or sensitivity from a rough shave is gone almost instantly. And I LOVE the burn.

#CatO'9tails
I think there are guys out there who probably do have sensitive skin or skin with problems or certain characteristics that just physically actually feel better when they use something that helps their condition.
Not knowing actual numbers and just going on a gut feeling, I'd bet that those guys with actual issues are far fewer than people who buy the stuff not because they need it, but because they think alcohol kills their skin or is bad for them.
I know plenty of old codgers like myself that have used alcohol splashes their entire lives and have just amazing skin.
Sometimes it's just genetics, you know?

Top Bottom