What's new

Ode to alcohol aftershaves

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I think there are guys out there who probably do have sensitive skin or skin with problems or certain characteristics that just physically actually feel better when they use something that helps their condition.
Not knowing actual numbers and just going on a gut feeling, I'd bet that those guys with actual issues are far fewer than people who buy the stuff not because they need it, but because they think alcohol kills their skin or is bad for them.
I know plenty of old codgers like myself that have used alcohol splashes their entire lives and have just amazing skin.
Sometimes it's just genetics, you know?

I own 200 vintage and modern aftershaves. They all have alcohol in them. I keep a bottle of Thayer’s Medicated witch hazel for the very rare rough shave, but it has alcohol in it also.

I can’t imagine using anything that would overly moisturize and make my face appear healthier or younger, for my wife has enough trouble keeping her hands off of me now. :)

I rue the day that alcohol based aftershaves go away completely because, you know - our modern society trends to the insistence that we all be protected from what some feel is not "good for us", and the decision will be taken out of our hands.
We'll be left with nothing but nurturing, nourishing milk balms full of skin replenishing essential ingredients.
Go ahead, laugh. It's already happening. First you reduce, then you eliminate.
:crying:

I remember, in my naive B&B early days, purchasing a bottle of highly recommended Nivea After Shave Balm... one minimal application and I've never felt my skin so horribly greasy and uncomfortable (pore blockers heaven :001_rolle). The scent was unpleasant too. (That got chucked out straight away.)

The way I see it is that people have so many skin problems due to all the rubbish they slather on their faces every day. Give your face some AIR boys!

I have quite a few favorite splashes, and being a lover of SIMPLE I make my own (usually single scented) ASLs for fun...
all at 80% Alcohol. :devil: :001_wub:

Here's an old favorite along with four of my "home brews":
Alcoholic-ASLs_2021-11-29.jpg

Count me in. Tried many AS versions that were alcohol-free and supposedly good for my skin, but they were greasy or sticky and I have to believe, blocked pores. Share the concern that we may soon be protected from the ravages of alcohol or perhaps AS with alcohol will have warning stickers…(and banned in California?- sorry CA brethren). May the burn be with you.

I'm still a (relatively) young man who is late in coming to wetshaving, and really prefer the bracing experience of alcoholic aftershaves.

My preferred combination, since I'm a spoiled first-worlder, is an alcohol-based splash followed by an alcohol free balm. Have your cake and eat it, too!

But if I had to pick, alcohol splash all the way.
This is how I do it and I’m a relatively old guy. Plus, I’ve found that as my technique has improved, the sting has lessened.

being a lover of SIMPLE I make my own (usually single scented) ASLs for fun...
all at 80% Alcohol.
Do you extract the scented oils by putting the citrus (or mint whatever you're using) in the 80 percent alcohol or do you use store-bought essential oils? I've been wanting to extract a favorite natural scent but I don't know anyone who's done it.

This is how I do it and I’m a relatively old guy. Plus, I’ve found that as my technique has improved, the sting has lessened.
I'm a relatively old guy. I used to do splash, then balm. But now find I prefer balm, then after 5 min or so, splash. Get the soothing moisturizing, then the bracing scent.

The burn tells you it's working! I love my alcohol based after shaves, in fact, I don't really want an aftershave that isn't alcohol based, because that's not where it's at. I had some AoS Sandalwood pre shave, soap and balm and while I love the scent, the balm left my skin feeling sticky vs soft, and I started to go with straight alcohol based AS. When I tried the AoS trio again, I noticed that the balm would re-open any tiny weepers I had after they stopped (using a styptic pencil after the balm wouldn't even stop the bleeding), and then about 20 minutes after using, my face would turn all blotchy and feel hot like really bad razor burn so I gave everything to my son. He used the balm only after shaving and had a reaction also, so I told him to just try the pre and soap and ditch the balm. When I first used Pinaud Clubman, I loved the burn, but thought it smelled like gasoline... now it's my go-to along with OS vintage/modern, Aqua Velva blue and musk, The Veg and Ghost Town Barber AS. I also use witch hazel before AS and in the winter if I'm a bit dry I'll use some Nivea unscented balm to keep from drying out, but that's it. Long live the burn!

Do you extract the scented oils by putting the citrus (or mint whatever you're using) in the 80 percent alcohol or do you use store-bought essential oils?
I use online purchased essential (or fragrance) oils. Sorry to be of no help. :sad:
I've been wanting to extract a favorite natural scent but I don't know anyone who's done it.
What about starting a new thread?

I also enjoy the refreshing sting that alcohol brings. It’ll disinfect your skin which results in having less breakouts and razor bumps. In the fall and winter I usually follow my splash with balm because of dry skin. Recently following my splash with hyaluronic acid and enjoying it.

I use online purchased essential (or fragrance) oils. Sorry to be of no help. :sad:

What about starting a new thread?
Thanks, yes, I started this thread:
Next time I go to a state that sells high-alcohol everclear I'll pick some up. I don't think spicebush berries are still around, but I can try it with twigs or wait until next year for the berries.

I don't usually get much burn unless my edge isn't on point, or if I'm too aggressive somewhere like the neck. If my shave was harsh I usually use witch hazel first before the alcohol splash.

Clubman products don't seem to dry my skin as much as Stirling aftershaves or current Old Spice. If my skin feels dry I hit it with a little argan oil after the AS dries. I tried balms but I don't like it. Clubman leaves me feeling glassy smooth.

I do hyaluronic acid before bed if I think of it. My skin is happier than it's ever been, or at least since puberty.

:crying:

I remember, in my naive B&B early days, purchasing a bottle of highly recommended Nivea After Shave Balm... one minimal application and I've never felt my skin so horribly greasy and uncomfortable (pore blockers heaven :001_rolle). The scent was unpleasant too. (That got chucked out straight away.)

The way I see it is that people have so many skin problems due to all the rubbish they slather on their faces every day. Give your face some AIR boys!

I have quite a few favorite splashes, and being a lover of SIMPLE I make my own (usually single scented) ASLs for fun...
all at 80% Alcohol. :devil: :001_wub:

Here's an old favorite along with four of my "home brews":
View attachment 1370391
Haha, I'd never actually read Snakebite's bottle.

"Keep away from women and children"

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I just need an alcoholic aftershave, to spot mistakes where I made them. The burn is for me rather an indicator than pain. They also usually come with for me more attractive scents.

Another factor: They dry on the skin, no need to be careful not to apply too much, or having to wipe them off. Balms often overstayed their wet welcome on my skin/face. And no, I don't have particularly fatty or dry skin, quite standard skin that heals quickly and cleanly from minor cuts. OK, seems I have a certain advantage in this regard.

I don't see alcoholic splashes going away anytime soon, though. Balms are popular and regularly science (tm) gets quoted to tell me what's horrible about the poison alcohol, be it on the skin or in a fine glass of cognac, later in mouth and belly. And why balms are superb.

If I would be a smoker, I would lit the biggest and fattest cigar I have in response to something like that. I would even dare to challenge the science. I had only minor skin issues due to it staying wet for too long when using balms than when using quicky drying alcoholic after shave. In fact since I use alcoholic after shaves after wet shaving, my skin quality improved dramatically. It might be more related to using a DE razor, though.

But, thinking beyond wet shaving, it is really an odd world if the slight burn of an after shave is already too much pain, to be avoided if possible. Avoiding discomfort at any cost can be a self-defeating strategy in a world that isn't free of a fair share of that.

On a lighter note, if nothing burns when I apply aftershave, I start wondering if I failed shaving close enough. :eek2:

All my aftershaves have alcohol. Some also happen to have some added goodness for my face such as aloe juice, witch hazel, glycerin and argan oil. I don't really like balms, I only use them before sleep so I don't get bothered by the greasy feeling. So I definitely need/want that extra stuff in my aftershaves. Not just alcohol, water and fragrance.

Top Bottom