What's new

Odds and Ends

Just a few odds and ends.

A cigarette card with a brief history of the barber pole. Also, a vintage KOOL cigarette paper sleeve for the disposal of used razor blades. Joe Camel had nothing on KOOL mascot Willie the Penguin. Willie even had his own comic book, although he only smoked in the advertisements.

I collect different versions of Palmolive building post cards made of linen. The one that I posted is a favorite. It has a late thirties 'Batman in Gotham City' kind of vibe to it. The trade card below it is from the same time period, with the restaurant being located about 3 blocks away. I really like the art deco look to the young lady in the illustration.

I've included three Palmolive cards so you can see what some of these people were communicating to each other. Brother Joe's card to brother Nick is pretty straight forward, but what in God's name happened to the cat that was owned by Mrs. Reams of Ottumwa, IA (wasn't that Radar O'Reilly's hometown?) Not sure if you can all make it out, but she says: "Poor little kitty. Dorothy don't be too hard on the slayer of mother cat." Also, what was going on with Mrs. Osterman and her secret pal? Chicago to Fort Wayne is just a two and a half to three-hour car trip.
IMG_1486.JPG
IMG_1490.JPG
IMG_1496.JPG
IMG_1497.JPG
IMG_1429.JPG
IMG_1427.JPG

Top Bottom