What's new

Oddball Razor ID

I picked this one up at an antique shop today. The only marking is PAT PEND. I think I've seen a few similar, but not sure if I've seen an exact match. Any one know anything about it? A Gem blade won't quite fit, but I think I could make one work with a little trimming, or maybe make an Injector blade work.
DSCF5232.JPG
DSCF5234.JPG
DSCF5237.JPG

It might use a blade similar to a Burham which is essentially a despined Gem. Does the Feather FHS fit? I believe it loads from the front and locks in place by the stops with the curve of the OC securing the blade by friction. I have only seen those (but can't remember the name), however I have used other razors that were similar. I don't think it is one of those that is supposed to have a top plate which is missing.

It might use a blade similar to a Burham which is essentially a despined Gem. Does the Feather FHS fit? I believe it loads from the front and locks in place by the stops with the curve of the OC securing the blade by friction. I have only seen those (but can't remember the name), however I have used other razors that were similar. I don't think it is one of those that is supposed to have a top plate which is missing.
I don't have any FHS blades, but the Gem is slightly too wide. Working on de-spining and trimming I'll let you know how it goes.

I just nibbled away at it with a pair of needle nose pliers and got it in there, but the blade is slightly wider than the stops. I did a quick dry shave on arm hair. I think it should work, but I will be paying close attention to the corners.
DSCF5239.JPG
DSCF5243.JPG

I used it today. It really wants a very shallow angle, if you try to go steep at all the blade won't contact the skin. It was very surprisingly smooth and efficient. Two passes and very little cleanup took me from three days growth to DFS. The blade corners didn't seem to be an issue at all. Over all I'm pretty impressed with it.

Good work on that blade.
Thanks Dave! I can't remember who it was, but someone said they just use pliers to trim them for an Autostrop. Basically the same thing, just had to trim a little farther down. It's pretty easy as long as you don't have to trim too close to the edge.

Top Bottom