What's new

Odd Reaction

Looking for some answers hopefully.
I have been using the same Red Tip and same blades for over a year because it is so reliable and easy to use.
Several days ago I decided to break out my Merkur 34C.
I put in a new Gillette Silver Blue, used Noble Otter Barrbarr (a switch up from my usual).
I adjusted to a fairly tight opening, like 2.5 and had no issues.
Sunday morning I was shaving before church and went back to the tub of John Frum and set the razor to right about three.
Had a three pass super smooth shave. No bleeders or weepers.
I ended up with what looked like bug bites, little bumps all over my face as the day went on.
The only thing I did between shaves was after each shave I take out the razor blade and dry everything and put it back.
So, did I have too much reveal making the razor very aggressive?
I have been using the same shave soap trying to use it up, so I do not think it was that.
I am stumped.
I haven't shaved since then, and have applied Nivea daily over the bumps and they have pretty much disappeared.
Planning on shaving tomorrow but am going back to the vintage Gillette and the soap I know doesn't give me any reactions.
What say ye?
M

Last edited:
First off, as far as I know, the Merkur you used isn't an adjustable. How do you set it to three when it has a fixed blade gap?

The cause of the bumps could have been too much pressure, a bad angle, or a reaction to the brush or the soap. No way to narrow it down further than that with the info you gave us.

First off, as far as I know, the Merkur you used isn't an adjustable. How do you set it to three when it has a fixed blade gap?

The cause of the bumps could have been too much pressure, a bad angle, or a reaction to the brush or the soap. No way to narrow it down further than that with the info you gave us.
I'm guessing that the OP adjusts his 34C by screwing/unscrewing the handle to different positions in order to increase or decrease the blade gap? Then again I could be wrong. Maybe he mislabeled the model or something!

Last edited:
Looking for some answers hopefully.
I have been using the same Red Tip and same blades for over a year because it is so reliable and easy to use.
Several days ago I decided to break out my Merkur 34C.
I put in a new Gillette Silver Blue, used Noble Otter Barrbarr (a switch up from my usual).
I adjusted to a fairly tight opening, like 2.5 and had no issues.
Sunday morning I was shaving before church and went back to the tub of John Frum and set the razor to right about three.
Had a three pass super smooth shave. No bleeders or weepers.
I ended up with what looked like bug bites, little bumps all over my face as the day went on.
The only thing I did between shaves was after each shave I take out the razor blade and dry everything and put it back.
So, did I have too much reveal making the razor very aggressive?
I have been using the same shave soap trying to use it up, so I do not think it was that.
I am stumped.
I haven't shaved since then, and have applied Nivea daily over the bumps and they have pretty much disappeared.
Planning on shaving tomorrow but am going back to the vintage Gillette and the soap I know doesn't give me any reactions.
What say ye?
M
I can't pinpoint your problem but I can tell you what happened to me. I used to use Gillette Platinum blades (along with other blades) and suddenly one day I noticed something: Whenever I'd use the Gillette's, I'd end up with a rash. I tried other blades and didn't have the issue. And like I said, it happened suddenly since I had previously used the GP's with no problems. You mentioned that you use Silver Blues, so maybe that's the issue? Try a different brand of blade and see what happens!
Apparently some coatings of blades give reactions to some people.
By the way, I've permanently switched to Personna Lab Blues and haven't looked back.
Fantastic blade!

Ok, blame it on age.....or cranial flatulence.
I am using the Merkur Progress Adjustable Safety Razor MK-500001

IMG_1305.jpeg

By the way, I've permanently switched to Personna Lab Blues and haven't looked back.
Fantastic blade!

Thanks for the tip, I will get some on my next order.

The only thing that occurs to me is that your brush may have contained traces of the NO soap, and that somehow reacted with the Frum the following day to trigger your skin issue. If you regularly shave with the Frum and get no reaction, and the one day you swith to Noble Otter was fine, then it makes sense that it is something between the two (I doubt the NO would cause a delayed reaction on its own).

I'd shave with the NO for a few consecutive days and see if it flares up again.

The only thing that occurs to me is that your brush may have contained traces of the NO soap, and that somehow reacted with the Frum the following day to trigger your skin issue. If you regularly shave with the Frum and get no reaction, and the one day you swith to Noble Otter was fine, then it makes sense that it is something between the two (I doubt the NO would cause a delayed reaction on its own).

I'd shave with the NO for a few consecutive days and see if it flares up again.

Interesting thought...but on my N.O. shave I used my Grizzly Bay and when I use this seemingly never ending tub of JF (Seriously, this tub has lasted too long!) I use my bargain Yaqui brush.

I shaved today going back to the Gillette red tip and a new blade and used the Yaqui and Proraso pre shave & soap (green), Stirling Creamy Coconut Balm and ended with a splash of Clubman Pinaud.
Great shave, zero irritation.

I am chalking this one up to switching razors and shaving as I have been instead of taking into account the angle and pressure differences between the two.
Either way, great shave this morning!
Thanks to everyone for your helpful advice and input.
M

Top Bottom