What's new

Odd question about scents

I got a sampler from chiseled face of about 9-10 different scented tallow soaps. My wife, mom, aunt, and myself all smelled them and only about 4 I enjoy without using them. My wife had the strange thought that sometimes candles smell differently while burning than they do while not. My question is will a soap smell different when lathered than it does in the can?

I have some where the scent is similar, but different when lathered. It tends to be more mild once on my face, at least it seems that way.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Soap makers do make soap that will smell one way in the can and then different notes come out after lathering them. So to answer your question in the short, Yes absolutely.

Sent from my phone using some app

Night Music is a good example. Nearly smells different every time you use it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The thing is that lathering it will expose the full level of fragrance, as well as expose it to water. Whatever you get out of the can is usually only a hint of what you'll actually be getting once you lather, if the scent is complex. Any relatively simple scents, what you smell is what you get. I'm pretty sure Chiseled Face has plenty of more complicated scents.

The thing is that lathering it will expose the full level of fragrance, as well as expose it to water. Whatever you get out of the can is usually only a hint of what you'll actually be getting once you lather, if the scent is complex. Any relatively simple scents, what you smell is what you get. I'm pretty sure Chiseled Face has plenty of more complicated scents.

Most of what I got seem to be multiple layers of scents. Almost like drinking a fine bourbon and picking up on the different taste notes in each sip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, soap scents do not last past the actual shave, so a soap scent is not a consideration after the rinse and AS splash. I pick scents that I like or that sound intriguing and go with them.

For me, soap scents do not last past the actual shave, so a soap scent is not a consideration after the rinse and AS splash. I pick scents that I like or that sound intriguing and go with them.
That was another interesting aspect of Night Music, it stuck around several hours. Doubt anybody but me would notice though.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I've found the same thing that they will often be a bit different when lathered than when in the jar/tin/puck. Usually, I like it better when lathered than when not. Also, with those you don't like now, use them a few times, even if you still don't like them after you lather give them a chance. Give them a few uses and see if your preferences change. I didn't like Bay Rum and other alcohol scented or evergreen (for lack of a better descriptor) scented soaps. They smelled like harsh bathroom cleaners or Pine Sol to me at first. Now, several are among my favorites (Uncle Jon Bay Rum, Uncle Jon Gravity, Uncle Jon Prohibition, Uncle Jon Fougere).

+1. I do find that cherry scents tend to stick around, but otherwise it's just something to enjoy during the shave.

Seems like some of the soaps would have to have scents that would last awhile, even after rinsing face?

Got a body wash that lasts for about a day and half for keeping the bathroom smelling great, but may just mean I'm not rinsing the shower out good enough.

Top Bottom