What's new

Odd looks

I've been wondering lately how many of the younger pipe smokers, or any pipe smoker for that matter, out there get odd looks from people when they see you smoking. I get them constantly, especially when I smoke a cob. People seem to always think I'm smoking pot. I used to walk and smoke but after being stopped by police twice I gave that up and have resigned myself to the balcony. I've just been wondering if this common place for the rest of you pipe smokers.

Not really when I was in my mid twenties and first started smoking a pipe, I took a little good natured ribbing from my friends. Once I had some business at the county clerk and When I emptied my pockets at the check at the courthouse there were some curious looks at my Czech tool. I wasn't carrying my pipe and they seemed to think it was some kind of drug paraphernalia. The older sheriff in the office said, "its a pipe tamper you fool". and we had a laugh over it. As a general rule if I have my pipe out its smoking and its pretty obvious its tobacco, occasionally there is a double take, but I usually register it as pleasant surprise. The only comments I have received are positive. If a police officer ever seriously challenged me on it, I might politely suggest he go ahead and bring me in to check it out while offering the suggestion that he'll probably be the resident 'Barney Fife' for the rest of his carrier for hauling in a guy smoking his pipe.:lol:

I get the occasional sideways glance but I actually kinda dig it. I usually get a look or two from the ladies, perhaps they had a grandpa that had a pipe that they recall fondly. I don't really care what other fellas may think. Haven't been stopped by any cops with nothing better to do, that would probably get a bit interesting...

Frankly I don't care what anyone else thinks of it, I don't bother folks with it and I enjoy it so if they don't like it they can mind their own. I started in my 20's as well, and yeah you get some ribbing from friends and stuff but if it makes you happy who cares?

Stopped by police is pretty extreme.

Living in a congested urban area such as I live, 99% of people try not to make eye contact or even notice you at all much less notice a pipe.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I don't know if I get odd looks- I ignore people generally. I have gotten a few nice comments, though.

I got stopped by the police a couple times when I was younger for smoking a pipe. Actually arrested once by a naive young lad. Things turned around pretty quickly at the police station when the young officer was shown that it really was tobacco I was smoking. I pity the *** kicking he got from his boss.

Yes... I have taken my 3 foot tall Hookah to the beech and have gotten some strange looks (from the non-Lebanese..), but it is quite common around here to see families sitting outside with the men all smoking a hookah.

When smoking a pipe I find I get many many looks... The most common thing I hear? "My Grandfather used to smoke a pipe..."

I got stopped by the police a couple times when I was younger for smoking a pipe. Actually arrested once by a naive young lad. Things turned around pretty quickly at the police station when the young officer was shown that it really was tobacco I was smoking. I pity the *** kicking he got from his boss.
That IS a naive lad indeed, if he doesn't even know the difference between tobacco and cannabis, I mean wheres his training (if any training is needed :001_rolle)

I've been wondering lately how many of the younger pipe smokers, or any pipe smoker for that matter, out there get odd looks from people when they see you smoking.
In 15 years I've had one anti-smoking nazi and a neighborhood kid go off on me about smoking, but mostly I get a lot of positive comments about the scent.
I get them constantly, especially when I smoke a cob.
Maybe they just think you are a hick because of the cob pipe?
People seem to always think I'm smoking pot. I used to walk and smoke but after being stopped by police twice I gave that up and have resigned myself to the balcony.
Nobody has ever made that mistake with me.
I've just been wondering if this common place for the rest of you pipe smokers.
No. It's just you. Could it be something else about your attire or behavior other than the pipe?

Last edited:
Are you comfortable smoking your pipe in public? By that, I mean are you doing it in a fully open, confident manner? It seems odd that anyone's first thought would be that you are smoking marijuana, especially police on two separate occasions, unless it actually looks like you are trying to hide the pipe, even subconsciously.

You got to stop wearing that che guevara hoodie when you are walking about with the pipe brother. Haha.

Phew! So its the Che hoodie I should avoid. Good thing I wear this one...
proxy.php

Yes, I get odd looks too, it's not just you. When I do smoke I like to go out alone in the dark and stroll, and this is mostly when I get them. It looks like I might be hiding somthing.

I've had some looks, but I don't pay it much attention. I get the odd "my dad/grandpa used to..." and once got a "wicked pipe!" from a couple of young guys while smoking a cob at a Starbucks patio in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Of course, most of my pipe smoking takes place on my balcony.

Even as I get older, pipe smoking is still seen by many people as a novelty. Don't worry about it at all, chances are good you'll never see most of the people again anyways, and for those that you do see again, you'll be the cool dude who smokes a pipe!

Top Bottom