What's new

Odd Badger Bristle Phenomenon

Has anyone ever had a bristle come out of their brush looking like a wet noodle? I've been losing a lot a hairs in one of my brushes since new. Sometimes, they are "plump" towards the bottom half and wiggle like a piece of spagetti. They can be pulled in half too.

I always rinse and shake the bruch out well before sitting it on it's handle on my shelf to dry. I haven't used any chemicals on it, and I've used the same creams and soaps that are popular on this forum. The brush is going back to the manufactuer due to the bristle loss, but I've never seen the soggy bristle problem mentioned before.

Mike

Austin said:
Mike, I've never seen one do the noodle thing. What brand brush?

Mike,

That's also my question. My C&E brush went through a period of loosing bristles but that has ended, no more issues.

Randy

It's a Shavemac 220. A fine brush. I've had it for a couple of months and lose hairs almost every day. Sometimes just one or two, but other days more like 8-10. It's been getting worse. Bernd has asked that I send it back. I only recently noticed the "rubber bristle" issue, so I haven't informed him of that. I'm told by the brush experts here that bristle loss is usually due to improper glue cure or bad seating of the hair bundle. I'm thinking I just got some defective hair in my particular brush and it is only noticable when the brush has been saturated with water for a time.

Mike

Mike,
Experts aside, it sounds as though there is hair other than badger in the bundle. I will not argue the issue of drying brush down, but from your description, this appears to be an all together different problem.
Hair lose after "Break-in" can come from a variety of sources, not the least of which is improper knot tying and seating.. But that has little to do with an apparent hair quality issue. What do the tips look like on these errant hairs?

guenron said:
Mike,
Experts aside, it sounds as though there is hair other than badger in the bundle. I will not argue the issue of drying brush down, but from your description, this appears to be an all together different problem.
Hair lose after "Break-in" can come from a variety of sources, not the least of which is improper knot tying and seating.. But that has little to do with an apparent hair quality issue. What do the tips look like on these errant hairs?

I don't recall the exact look of the tips. I don't have any reason to think that what I have is anything other than Silver Tip Badger. If I happen to get another one before shipping back to Bernd, I'll take a look or even snap a pic. I absolutley love the brush and will miss it while it's gone. In the meantime, I'll have to improve my lathering technique with my little Vulfix.

i have noticed the few hairs my VDH brush has lost are a bit stretchy and almost slimy :huh: EDIT: i really need to start looking at the post dates.... that's 2 today :facepalm:

Top Bottom