What's new

Odd Animal Facts or "Facts"

Okay I'm betting you made that one up... :001_tt2:
Well, no, I didn't make it up. The myth has been around for years.

I do remember reading it online about a year ago, but I just did the research, googling "Mr. Ed zebra" and it turns out to be a well-known Internet Hoax.

So apparently, its not true. Sorry about that. So I'll withdraw this bit of trivia.

The fact that pacific salmon are born in a creek somewhere, swim to the ocean as infants (that's not the technical term, but you know ... ), spend years swimming about the ocean, and then manage to find their way back upstream to the same creek to spawn and die.

Friggin' awesome.

Oh, and my sister was bitten by a moose.

I bit a moose once- it was tasty with new potatoes.

Clams are all born males. It can change to female but only once. The change is irreversible.

On average, sharks kill 10 humans every year. Approximately 100 people die each year when they are stepped on by cows

My Rottweiler could eat a bagel in about one second but took about a minute to get a single raisin down.

She was not allowed to beg at the table so she sat about 15 feet away and we would occasionally throw her a tidbit (bagel, raisin, whatever). She cold catch anything. Yes, I know this is a bit uncouth, but we both had fun!

I know of another Rottweiler whose training went a bit awry. She knew sit, down, stay, etc. but took "stay" to mean stay down but not stay in one place. When told "down, stay" she would literally crawl to wherever she wanted to go.

Grapes (and raisins) are toxic to dogs and can kill them.. one or two probably won't hurt a rottweiler, though.. but just so you know! Maybe your dog's smarter about her diet than you think :wink2:
-\Visdom

Grapes (and raisins) are toxic to dogs and can kill them.. one or two probably won't hurt a rottweiler, though.. but just so you know! Maybe your dog's smarter about her diet than you think :wink2:
-\Visdom

Actually, I learned that some time after my dog had passed away, but she weighed 135 pounds and only got a couple of raisins every few months, if that. (The thrill wore off quickly and after that we only did it occasionally to amaze and amuse our friends. :biggrin1:)

She didn't dislike raisins; I think they just got caught up in her teeth and it took her a while to deal with that. She never spit one out.

Well, no, I didn't make it up. The myth has been around for years.

I do remember reading it online about a year ago, but I just did the research, googling "Mr. Ed zebra" and it turns out to be a well-known Internet Hoax.

So apparently, its not true. Sorry about that. So I'll withdraw this bit of trivia.

:lol: It made me laugh plus you shared a different bit of trivia so all's good.... :thumbup:

-\Visdom

Grapes/Raisins build toxins in the gall bladder and liver......

Cat Aromatherapy
Cats and essential oils don't go together - a cat's liver is different from any other mammal and doesn't metabolize in the same way so they aren't able to clear them through their system and the build-up when exposed daily can be very fast and deadly.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
My little dachshund Woofgang der Wunderhund poops such huge amounts, that would make a Rottweiler proud...:lol:

They say dogs can't spit, but I saw one do this.

Years ago, our german shepherd was digging in our kitchen trash can looking for goodies.

So I abliged and handed her a stalk of cold cooked brocolli that was in there.

The look on the dog was priceless and she turned her head and spat it out.

She looked back at my like "what the heck was that?".

Also, years ago, Budweiser had a commercial with horses kicking a football. My dad worked with two guys who refused to believe it was fake and had many conversations about how they trained the horse to kick a football.

Last edited:
crocodiles can't move their tongues.
porcupines float.
A giraffe almost never uses its vocal cords. They communicate with their tails.

Last edited:
The largest terrestrial arthropod is not a South American Tarantula. It is in fact the..........

proxy.php

Coconut Crab!!!!

just an excuse to post my favorite internet picture :001_smile

But they can have a three foot plus leg span, a foot diameter carapace and weigh a dozen pounds.

Top Bottom