What's new

Octopus

Weird title o0 Anyway, When i was in Aus in may, my girlfriend took me for my first Octopus try out, only baby Octopus mind, but ever since the first taste I bloody loved it, and i've been wanting to try it ever since I got home, I'm gonig back to live for a year in October so I think i'll have my fair share when I get there, but i'v said to myself, I want to try something with Octopus before I go.

But don't know what, so I was wondering, any of you guys have any recipes, quick fixes, anything for Octopus? Can't BBQ as I don't have one unfortunately, so it's pretty much, bake, fry or grill.

Mmmmm, Octopus! That's good stuff! I have no idea how to cook the stuff, but if there's a Greek or Turkish restaurant near you, they might serve it. That's where I've had it here in the States.

(For those of you who haven't tried it, you're missing out!)

I really like Takosu, which is like a salad made with blanched octopus thinly sliced, wakame (a kind of seaweed) and thinly sliced cucumbers in a vinegar dressing. I'll post a recipe if I can find one.

Weird title o0 Anyway, When i was in Aus in may, my girlfriend took me for my first Octopus try out, only baby Octopus mind, but ever since the first taste I bloody loved it, and i've been wanting to try it ever since I got home, I'm gonig back to live for a year in October so I think i'll have my fair share when I get there, but i'v said to myself, I want to try something with Octopus before I go.

But don't know what, so I was wondering, any of you guys have any recipes, quick fixes, anything for Octopus? Can't BBQ as I don't have one unfortunately, so it's pretty much, bake, fry or grill.

In Aus I bet you can find a Korean place that serves san-nakji (live baby octopus). The server should bring it out alive, cut it up on the plate, and leave you with a seething mass of squirmy tentacles. They taste great, they squirm for the duration of the meal (so it's dinner and a show all in one!), and when you dip them in cho-kochu-jang (vinegared chili sauce) they squirm extra vigorously from the burn. Be sure to dip them in cham-gireum (sesame oil) before eating, though, or they'll grab yr teeth.

Delicious.

Thanks guys, the wiggling-ness..I dunno how appealing that sounds, lol but the one I had was fryed in this chilli like sauce, was bloody nice, but I can't say I won't not ever try it, if it's there i'll give it a go, lol

I shall continue on with my recipie quest, see if there's anything that appeals to me, the salad does sounds nice though, i'll keep it in mind.

I like it too. It was pretty common in Mexico, but I never learned how to cook it.

One of the dishes was something called Fruta del Mar (Fruit of the Sea) and basically consisted of shrimp, octopus, chopped onion, green pepper, in a nice hot sauce. They served it on crackers.

How could I have forgotten takoyaki? I'm not a huge fan of octopus fritters myself, but they're hugely popular in Japan. Here's a link to a reasonable looking recipe and some related information:

http://lunchinabox.net/2007/06/27/making-takoyaki/

Little live octopus occasionally show up as bar food in Japan too. Pop one in your mouth and swallow it. Head first, chase it with a shot of rice liquor--shochu or awamori. Not sure if the liquor is to settle your stomach or stun the octopus.

I eat it dried, fried, boiled, and raw...however the cook happens to prepare it. My favorite though is probably 'takoage' which is lightly breaded and deep-fried chunks of octopus. Yum! :biggrin:

I've only had octopus raw in sushi establishments. Served that way, the whole arms of baby octopus are generally marinated in something such as citrus juices. Crunchy!

I like to fry up baby octopus that's been stuffed with sausage. Chorizo is perfect with it. Actually chorizo is good with just about anything so the chorizo thread in the Mess Hall is awesome.

Around here you see it in greek/italian/middle eastern salad's. Baby octopus salad, you can get it at just about any ethnic grocery store in these parts.

I like it too. It was pretty common in Mexico, but I never learned how to cook it.

One of the dishes was something called Fruta del Mar (Fruit of the Sea) and basically consisted of shrimp, octopus, chopped onion, green pepper, in a nice hot sauce. They served it on crackers.

:thumbup::thumbup:
Yummy. The octopus is typically boiled and the sauce is a mixture of Clamato and hot sauce (I like Tapatio and Cholula).

Top Bottom