What's new

OCtober 2022 - Let's Put the OC in OCTOBER

I 100% agree that they are fantastic shavers. Congrats on having one of these odd little razors. Just a few days ago, I used my Goodwill #162 for the first time, and it was superb. I also love the look with the keyholes in the cap and the engraved borders around them. It's one of my favorites.

If you have a common bar handle, consider giving it a try with this head. The diameter of the flute at the connecting end of the common bar handle fits the counterbore in the underside of the guard perfectly and helps to align the guard, blade, and cap correctly when everything is tightened up.
Thanks for the advice. I was looking at the base on this earlier and tried a tuckaway, the one I tried wouldn't tighten down. The LC common bar does fit better on the #162 and so does the tuckaway with the same size flute and clean threads.

Gillette Tuckaway
Rapira swedish (2)

This was the one I pieced together. It shaves amazing, smooth and extremely close. Not LC smooth, but much closer for me.

20221030_142507.jpg

Another nice shave with my Gillette New LC. As is almost always the case, it’s difficult not to reopen a cut from a previous shave. Maybe tomorrow I’ll preshave that area with my electric shaver.
One thing I like about all my combed razors is that is easy to backpaint lather with them, which I find helpful for getting a slick lather and effective shave.

October 30, 2022

Pre-shave: Noxzema face wash + hyaluronic acid serum
Razor: RazoRock Game-Changer 0.68 Open Comb
Blade: Wizamet
Lather: LPL Oud-Santal

Wow, never used a Wizamet blade before ... didn't know what I was missing. Smooooth. This is my last shave for Open-Comb OCtober. It's been fun, guys. Got a beauty of a shave this evening.

LPL Oudj-Santal.jpg

Mon 31 OC-tober
Soap
Barrister & Mann Seville
Brush Yaqi 26mm Lucky Dice 2 Band Badger
Razor Gillette New LC
Blade Eddison Stainless 3rd
Aftershave B&M Seville Splash
Love this soap and matching splash scent...so good! The lather is good too, whip up easily with the nice huge badger brush!
A very good shave with the blade again in this nice vintage razor...so smooth so efficient. 3passes for a bbs finish...
20221031_111243.jpg

Last shave of OCtoberfest on Halloween!!! It wasn’t spooky at all as it wasn’t a blood bath like I had expected it might be. I used my well patina’ed Blackland Brassbird with the shorter 85mm handle. I used a fresh Personna Lab Blues and I can count on one hand how many times a year I ever use a new blade (that’s how rare an occasion it is for me). I used the PAA Ice Cube preshave Menthol soap and actually just shaved with that. I face lathered with my Omega green 10051 boar brush. Did a 1 1/2 pass shave DFS+. Love the Brassbirds effortless cutting and I’m upset this isn’t my daily driver as it is so nice. I fault that for having so many razors lol.

I was surprised there was no nicks cuts or weepers to speak of despite not having used the Brassbird in almost a year, using a fresh and sharp Lab Blues, and using only the Cube pre-soap for my lather, AND it being halloween!

Here’s my Brassbird, with all the patina to where I affectionately call her the Dirty Bird. Oddly enough it looks like it’s been rode hard and put away wet (pun intended) but I’ve only used it maybe 5 times tops.

Here she is and hopefully it won’t take another year before she makes a reappearance….

32532CC7-7D77-4733-A3CB-AA2C3B675A40.jpeg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
OCtober SOTD

Razor:
Goodwill #175 (I think)
Blade: 7 O'Clock Black (2)
Brush: Simpson PJ2
Soap: Stirling Bay Rum
ASL: Layrite No 9
20221030_060754.jpg

This Goodwill is an interesting razor. One side has a larger gap, the other side has more blade exposure.

Using the side that has the larger gap, I started my usual WTG first pass from my left sideburn to the base of my neck.
There was just a little more blade feel than my New LC, with the efficiency about the same.
Switching to the other side for the second ATG and Freestyle pass, the razor definitely felt milder, requiring more of a neutral to shallow angle than the first side.
So mild that I lathered up for a third WTG/XTG pass with the first side again, and was rewarded with a very close comfortable shave.

The Witch hazel felt nice and slick, the Layrite refreshing, and the Nivea balm put on the finishing touch.

And as it was a Halloween Eve shave, there was no blood loss during the shave.:punk:

~doug~

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday(ASR), OCtober 31 2022

Razor : Gem 1912, OC, Mfg 1912-17 OC model, excellent tame mid range, fairly rare to buy now a days, built to last for a 120 year old razor, very nice shave this morning and this razor performs stellar with a new blade. Very enjoyable shave to start the day.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(8) excellent sharpness, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle IMO.
Soap : Cyril R Salter Indian Sandalwood cream, nice Sandalwood scent with excellent lather qualities. Very similar to TOBS sandalwood scent wise.
Brush : Yaqi "Mysterious space"24mm silver tip badger, Excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. Very enjoyable brush!
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Ogallala Bayrum & sandalwood + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Gem 1912 OC with a Gem coated blade.
SOTD October 31 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Final shave of OCtober 2022!
Thank you @timetofly for hosting the event! It's been fun!

20221031_092224-02.jpeg

For today's shave I decided to give the ATT classic H2 a spin. She provided a close DFS+ shave, two passes wtg/atg. Overall, a dramafree and solid shave - but I tend to get an even closer if the H2 is loaded with a Feather or PermaSharp blade... 🪓

Have some great shaves,y'all!

Date
365 days of shaving305/304
(100%)
GRUMEOut
OCtober26/31 (84%)
Tabactober15/31 (48%)

Passes3
WXTG(2)Gillette Slide
(NE-SW)

ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Efficiency & Effectiveness
Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
7/10 (DFS)
5/10 (weepers on the neck and some irritation)
7/10 (harsh)

Razor
Blade
Brush
NEW Flat BottomGillette 7 o'clock black (6)Razorock Plissoft 400
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Proraso Green
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Proraso residual lather face wash
Chanel Allure (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave:

Had some issues and challenges to attend to, so I did not post yesterday. The shave was ok and could have been better. This blade is working, but I retired it because the shave felt harsh and I incurred a number of neck weepers and irritation. That is a no in my book for a next run. Everything else performed beautifully.

In terms of technique, the Gillette Slides saved the shave, because I could use the slide to temper the harshness quite a bit. I have seen other gents take the Black to double digits, but maybe this is not the blade for me in that department - because the first couple of shaves were excellent.

Thanks @timetofly for hosting this special. I really had fun exploring my OCs - and I have had some of the better shaves this month. Great to see all our posts and pictures here. Happy shaves everyone!!

Top Bottom