What's new

OCtober 2022 - Let's Put the OC in OCTOBER

Shave #4. I'm thinking about a razor switch for the weekend. I haven't used my New SC in a while.
IMG_20221004_163418.jpg

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Time for another "Triple"!!! So I don't shave all that often (every other to every other other day), but when I do, I prefer Dos (or in this case, Tres) razor. Not sure everyone got my no-so-subtle commercial reference. ;)

So here are the chosen 3 for today: 2 awesome Goodwills (160 & 162) sporting a Feather blade, and a Schick Repeating Razor with a Schick Proline B. The brush is a Palladin Honey Noir -- an absolutely stellar synthetic brush, and the soap is the Saponificio Varesino Felce Aromatico. And yes, the shave was top notch, not only in results, but also in experience.
proxy.php
proxy.php

To me this is one of the most beautifully designed razors ever. Simple, effective and full brass for the price of three Tabac pucks. Bliss!

Guido

O, and before I forget: YMMV
Fully agree. It's my cheapest razor, but I think it's the best looking one. Especially the Piccolo handle. Others are also nice, but there is something in this little handle. It also feels good in hands, both weight and balance of head/handle. I like this vintage design and the fact that for this price it's brass and not zamak. The only problem I have with this razor is blade allignment. I need to spend some time when dropping a new blade to make sure that blade exposure is the same on both sides. But for this price and more important for how smooth it shaves, I can live with it 😉

Oh, and in my case it was less than two Tabac pucks. I got it cheap, but brand new. I don't know how they make money of these razors 😁

Last edited:
Fully agree. It's my cheapest razor, but I think it's the best looking one. Especially the Piccolo handle. Others are also nice, but there is something in this little handle. It also feels good in hands, both weight and balance of head/handle. I like this vintage design and the fact that for this price it's brass and not zamak. The only problem I have with this razor is blade allignment. I need to spend some time when dropping a new blade to make sure that blade exposure is the same on both sides. But for this price and more important for how smooth it shaves, I can live with it 😉

Oh, and in my case it was less than two Tabac pucks. I got it cheap, but brand new. I don't know how they make money of these razors 😁
Ah yeah of course - the nickel version is even cheaper indeed. Used one this morning and tomorrow is Special Edition day…o wait tomorrow just began, so today!

And alignment…hihi…that’sa whole different experience.

Cheers,

Guido

OCtober 2022 SOTD
1939-RFB-B_2022-10-04.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Simpson Wee Scot 13/39
Soap: Phoenix Scentsless
Razor: 1939 Gillette NEW RFB GT
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Black (10)
ASL: Clubman VIBR

A great shave. :biggrin:

My Wee Scot is a really good brush, barring the scritch. I intend giving it a longer run this time round, to see if I can tame the tips a little (he said hopefully :001_rolle).

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
OCTober
ACtober

Tonight’s luxury shave
RazoRock Hawk V3OC
Schick Proline P-series (1)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Simpson Wee Scot 13mm badger brush
Pre-shave: hot shower
Lather: Canada Shaving Soap, face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: Neutrogena Hydro Boost gel cream

Happily got enough water in the lather. My main pass was steep ATG buffing the whole way. So was the minimal pickup. Probably didn’t need to buff, but it was a thing I was trying the last time I picked up the razor. A few red dots around the lips, but the aftershave didn’t sting.

Wed 5 OCT-ober
Soap
Stirling Executive Man
Brush Yaqi 24mm Purple Haze Mew Brown
Razor Pearl OC on yaqi handle
Blade Gillette Nacet Stainless 1st
Aftershave Stirling Executive Man Splash
Fabulous cone of creamy and slick lather from the soap. Pleasant scent enhanced by the matching splash.
Good razor paired with good blade results in a great shave!
20221005_102757.jpg

View attachment 1533542
Timeless .95 OC - what a great shaving tool with perhaps the smoothest open combs out there...🤩 Two passes with some touchups made my skin feel like 12 again. Needless to say the rest of the gear performed gracefully as well. No nicks or blemishes, just a calm BBS skin. Terrific!

Have a great day, y'all!
What a beautiful razor with that scalloped cap and splendid handle!!!😊👍💈

Date:05.10.2022
Focused participations:05/31 Days in GRUME (out at 13%, but no subsequent purchases)
278/278 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
05/31 OCtober
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Shave of the Week Society (on hold)
Tabactober
Razor:Fatip Piccolo Special Edition
Blade:King C Gillette (24)
Brush:Razorock Plissoft 400
Soap:Tabac (tallow)
Bowl:Kox Enamel
Preshave:Cold splash
Proraso Green preshave
Postshave:Cold face wash
KCG Face wash
Passes:WTG (Gillette Slant) | XTG (Gillette Slide) | ATG (usual)
Efficiency:9/10 (~15 minutes)
Quality:10/10 (Clean as a whistle)
Comfort:10/10 (GlideFest)
Effectiveness:10/10 (BBS+)

Next OC in my rotation is my first OC I bought in the beginning of this year - the Fatip Special Edition. Plating is starting to disappear, but when it comes to shaving this is a remarkable little razor. I am absolutely in love with it. The blade performed as if fresh out of the wrapper on a for me unprecedented 24th run.

Loading my brush took maybe 5 seconds or so to produce a very fine face lather. Thick yet never dry, smooth and the post effect very slicky. And I get what Jack Goossen mentioned this morning about the scent and it triggering something inside my brain. I cannot put my finger on it, but once lathered it is nothing like straight from the puck - at least not for me.

And combining end result was amazing. I was buttery smooth all over with an excellent post shave feel. And so my maiden shave with Tabac is in the books. And I must say that it was everything others raved about and a big thank you therefore to specifically JAHE for his persistence in me wanting to try this soap. Was it worth breaking GRUME for? #onnodig I have been told yesterday. Was it fun to do? Yes, it was and I was surprised by the results. Just as surprised as I was when I first used an open comb.

Ponderings on today's shave can be found here: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11955270

Have a great day everyone!

Top Bottom