Gillette New FB with Heritage Handle
Lord Platinum (6)
Omega EVO 2.0
Tabac
Floid

808EF9CD-3F3F-4C6C-AF6A-7FC77CF6C048.jpeg

Halloween Week / Trick or Treet Week / OCtober

Prep: P.A.A. Cube 2.0

Razor: Alpha Shaving Works Bandit (prototype) w/ (no lather drains) open comb base plate
Blade: Treet Classic

Soap: Stirling Soap Co. - Ramblin' Man
Brush: Yaqi Purple Haze
Bowl: Bluff Cove Pottery

Post 1: P.A.A. Alum No-Slip Grip System w / Dry Dock System
Post 2: Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel Deep Cleansing Astringent w/ Menthol & Eucalyptus
Aftershave Balm: Stirling Soap Co. - Ramblin' Man
Aftershave Splash: Guerlain Vetiver (used a while afterward)

Today's shave is brought to you buy this Happy (meal) bunch. Let me introduce you to McPunk'n, McGoblin and McBoo.

Some of you may remember these or some of the other variations but these Halloween buckets are very nostalgic toe. So, when McDonald's announced they were bringing them back, I just had to have them.

For today's shave I'm getting one last dance with this absolutely beautiful Bandit by Alpha Shaving Works. Seeing as it's still Open Comb October and that I love this razor's open comb base plate, choosing it was an easy decision.

I paired the razor with the Treet Classic blade that's now quickly becoming a favorite of mine. This shave is the third run with the blade and it performed superbly.

I did a four-pass shave, not so much because it was needed, but more so because I was enjoying this shave and wanted more time with the Bandit. With this said I earned a super smooth bbs shave.

The Stirling Ramblin' Man soap was top-notch and reliable as always. The scent is one of my absolute favorites. It's very smooth and manly. I can't recommend this one enough.

Another fantastic shave in the books on this pre-Halloween weekend.

Ramble on gentlemen and enjoy your shaves.

Came to the thread late but I had an awesome shave with a new to me RR Lupo .95 OC. Paired it with a well worn 4-5 month old Personna Lab Blues blade that just won’t die. Pre-soap was the Menthol Cube2.0, and then an also pretty new to me soap by The Shave Mercantile called Mochachino. Nice coffee fragrance. Used my Omega green boar brush (forget the number but it’s one of the cheap ones). Quick 1 pass Shave with a second touch up pass. Finished up with a splash of Limacol AS.

470B0442-859F-41DE-99A9-449CA83C3391.jpeg

Gillette Goodwill
Rapira swedish (1)

This shaves better than it looks, and these do look pretty awesome. First shave and it's smooth and closer than the New OCs for me. Handle had a split and I had to swap handles mid shave. Great close shave, really looking forward to more with this one.

20221029_180643.jpg

We’ll, yesterday’s shave didn’t go as planned, I posted it elsewhere
I was looking forward to my shave today after being pleased with my Gillette New LC and finding a renewed appreciation for face lathering. I had more time, and began anticipating a better shave than yesterday. But user error was the order of the day and it was not to be. First, I got the brush too wet on the first pass (shulda just started over). It made for a rough start with 30 hours of growth resistance. Next, on the second pass, I snagged my chin, and stubbornly trying to get over that spot; yup, blood. I thought maybe my blade had finally given up, but discovered my razor head had come slightly loose. I’ve had this happen before on my tech, and it hasn’t been that big of a deal. It appears that a loose razor with an OC is much more dangerous! (FWIW I have never noticed that a properly assembled OC is more aggressive or dangerous than a similar razor with a safety bar. Both my Gillette OCs are milder than my Prewar Tech). I had to be cautious not to make my cut worse the rest of the shave, but still managed a CCS/DFS on most of my face. Oh well, there’s always tomorrow!
Today was much better. I got the lather right, took my time, and got a DFS on my Gillette New LC with a freshly honed blade. There was a lot of chatter on the first pass (like a typical day on a New England ski slope), but on later passes it was smooth as silk (like skiing nearly anywhere else). Nice rebound, and much more enjoyable!

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
We’ll, yesterday’s shave didn’t go as planned, I posted it elsewhere

Today was much better. I got the lather right, took my time, and got a DFS on my Gillette New LC with a freshly honed blade. There was a lot of chatter on the first pass (like a typical day on a New England ski slope), but on later passes it was smooth as silk (like skiing anywhere else). Nice rebound, and much more enjoyable!
I used my New LC yesterday. The best razor Gillette ever put out! (Of course, I say that about all my Gillette's except the Fatboy!)

Sun 30 OC-tober
Soap
Ariana & Evans Kaizen
Brush Yaqi 24mm Ruby Tuxedo
Razor Gillette Goodwill
Blade Timor Stainless 3rd
Aftershave A&E Kaizen Splash
Gorgeous lather and scent from this soap...further enhanced by the matching splash.
A nice easy and comfortable shave with this razor paired with the blade. 3passes for a bbs finish...
20221030_150622.jpg

Last OCtober shave with:
  • 1906 silver Single Ring OLD type (No. 728243) replated by Back Roads Gold
  • 1974 U1 Gillette Super Stainless "The Spoiler" blade (1)
  • Daveli Farms Sheep Fat Orange Cedarwood and Oakmoss shave soap
  • WCS silvertip badger brush
  • LEA sensitive after shave balm after unscented Thayer's Witch Hazel
PXL_20221030_143652965.jpg

I really wanted to give this single ring a try after Chris Spencer brought it back from the dead by fixing its badly bent teeth and replating it for me. Here is a BEFORE photo showing the badly bent corner teeth. They are completely corrected now.

PXL_20220815_163803730.jpg

Well, the razor gave a very aggressive shave with the fresh Spoiler loaded. I stopped after two passes and did no touching up. The primary trouble spots for me were all on my neck, which suffered a few weepers and some lingering burn after this razor. I suppose I needed to use an even lighter touch or a blade that had been used a few times to take off a bit of its edge. The weepers stopped crying by the time I finished the shave and the witch hazel and balm helped calm the irritation.

I wish I had not retired my five-use British Wilkinson, which was super smooth but with its sharpness suffering a bit. I thought about trying one of my NOS late 1920s three-hole Gillette blades, but I'll have to save that experience of another day (and perhaps a different razor). Regardless of the harshness, this Single Ring is beautiful to look at and hold. Chris really did an incredible job with this one.

Gillette Goodwill
Rapira swedish (1)

This shaves better than it looks, and these do look pretty awesome. First shave and it's smooth and closer than the New OCs for me. Handle had a split and I had to swap handles mid shave. Great close shave, really looking forward to more with this one.

View attachment 1548293
I 100% agree that they are fantastic shavers. Congrats on having one of these odd little razors. Just a few days ago, I used my Goodwill #162 for the first time, and it was superb. I also love the look with the keyholes in the cap and the engraved borders around them. It's one of my favorites.

If you have a common bar handle, consider giving it a try with this head. The diameter of the flute at the connecting end of the common bar handle fits the counterbore in the underside of the guard perfectly and helps to align the guard, blade, and cap correctly when everything is tightened up.

As in blade chatter? In a NEW LC? That sounds (pun intended) very unfamiliar to me. The design of the razor 🪒 should prevent that, right? In my experience the NEW clamps the blade pretty good. So very interested to hear more about your findings.

Guido
As in the whole razor, or “Barbers shaving tool” per some auction listings. 🤣 I could also describe it as jumping, pulling or catching. Since I use low pressure it feels like it is just jumping over the tops of the whiskers. If I were using more pressure the blade would either pull harder, stop or cut my face, and I would bin it (as I had originally done to this blade after shave 17. I realized later that it wasn’t dead yet). If I were using a new blade (1-5 shaves for most shavers?) this wouldn’t be happening. It always amazes me to find out on the second pass that my perception was wrong about the first pass, it was cutting whiskers and not just skipping over the tops of them!

Last edited:
As in the whole razor, or “Barbers shaving tool” per some auction listings. 🤣 I could also describe it as jumping, pulling or catching. Since I use low pressure it feels like it is just jumping over the tops of the whiskers. If I were using more pressure the blade would either pull harder, stop or cut my face, and I would bin it (as I had originally done to this blade after shave 17. I realized later that it wasn’t dead yet). If were using a new blade (1-5 shaves for most shavers?) this wouldn’t be happening. It always amazes me to find out on the second pass that my perception was wrong about the first pass, it was cutting whiskers and not just skipping over the tops of them!
Ah. Yes, well I can second that for at least my NEW LC Flat bottom. The first pass with a used blade appears to be harsh and then on the second and third pass it is smooth again or at least smoother.

Top Bottom