What's new

OCtober 2022 - Let's Put the OC in OCTOBER

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
RR SLOC
Rapira swedish (5)

Smooth and close. I cold do multiple passes without irritation but still only needed the 2 with touch ups. If you just used this cap on a safety bar would it still count as a OC?
Um, I believe it would count as a scalloped cap in that situation, a Frankenrazor.

But "That's neither here, nor there." Jonathan Winters

~doug~

Um, I believe it would count as a scalloped cap in that situation, a Frankenrazor.

But "That's neither here, nor there." Jonathan Winters

~doug~
SLOCs are DOCs (i.e. Double Open Combs). So a double open comb has open comb baseplate and cap, whereas a normal (or single if you like) open comb has the open comb ONLY on the baseplate OR the cap.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I now have three OC razors: the Lupo 95OC, the Filament OC Slant and the NEW British Raised Flat Bottom. I'll get to them sometime this month, I hope.

I am sort of getting used to the ATT X1 AC Slant that showed up today. It sure is a lovely razor that provides an excellent, smooth, close shave.

I see your point @Cal, but I believe the baseplate is what makes the comb, open. Then we have the R41...

~doug~
The type of guard on the baseplate would no doubt have defined the razor type originally (in the olden days when users were instructed to keep the guard on the skin to smooth [and stretch] it ahead of the blade)...

but now that so many don't even use the guard, and prefer to bunch their skin up with the cap pushing it in order to raise it in front of the blade, so the blade can instantly remove any irregularities like blemishes/spots/scars/moles/you-name-it... and folk wonder why their skin is irritated! I guess that's why they started doing guard type things on the caps (just for the crazy cap riders).

Bear in mind that we're only discussing double edge razors here.

In defense of the cap riders, if that's how they were taught you can't really blame them. Shucks, it was only a couple of years ago that I learned how to tie my shoe laces properly (so they never come undone). My Mom taught me (and the old "granny knot" was in play rather than the "reef knot").

Gosh! Was that a rant? :001_unsur :blushing:

Thu 6 OC-tober
Soap
RazoRock XXX
Brush Yaqi 24mm Red Marble
Razor Gillette Single Ring
Blade Gillette Perma-Sharp 2nd
Aftershave RazoRock XXX Splash
Good lather from the soap. The matching aftershave enhanced the pleasant scent.
This old razor is not very friendly but with the right blade, it can be wonderful. Today's pairing was good with the blade feeling so smooth and crisp. Managed 3passes for a bbs-dfs finish...
20221006_092535.jpg

Shave 6 of 31 is in the books. Same razor, blade & soap but fancied a slightly smaller brush today for some reason.

The Personna Lab Blue has been as smooth as butter from shave 2 onwards and works like a charm in the Fatip!

Finished off with a healthy splash of Cella green AS and had zero feedback 🙂

There is a lot to be said for sticking with one setup for a few days.
IMG_20221004_190648934.jpg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
OCTober
ACtober

Last night’s luxury shave
RazoRock Hawk V3OC
Schick Proline P-series (2)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Simpson Wee Scot 13mm badger brush
Pre-shave: hot shower
Lather: Canada Shaving Soap, face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: Neutrogena Hydro Boost gel cream

The Wee Scot was feeling scritchier. Probably needs more frequent removal of buildup. Soaked it in a mixture of hot water, dishwashing liquid, and lime juice for about 20 minutes for next shave. Will see if that reduced the scritch. It brought back some badger funk so we’ll see. Shave itself was steep ATG with much less buffing. Well, my ucky whiskers were removed so there’s that.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Vintage 1980s Fatip
Blade: Gillette Platinum (3)
Brush: Omega Evo Ovale
Soap: Barrister & Mann Cheshire
Aftershave: Barrister & Mann Cheshire (Splash)
036_01_20.jpg

This was the last shave of the week. It was good, yet the Vintage 1980s Fatip still caught a few hairs on my circle beard. I'm doing three shaves a week. I wanted to do Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. I'm eliminating Friday to make time for my workout routine. My workout is intense, but I'm also very lazy. There is no way I'm expanding the energy to do both. It's one or the other.

I'll be using a Fatip wood next week. It will be the Ulivo that I was gifted from Cal. I ordered a Fatip il Grosso from Gifts and Care. I messed up the shipping address. Instead of having it delivered to my work, it is being sent home for my wife to find it. Given the trouble I'll be in, I am going to use it to finish out OCtober, life and limb willing. :001_unsur

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
OCtober SOTD

Razor:
Merkur 15C
Blade: Gillette Platinum (5)
Brush: Shavemac 26/52
Soap: Ginestra di Taormina
ASL: Black Label Fougere
20221005_210351[1].jpg

For my second morning shave of the month I set the alarm for 3:00am, and woke when WhichyPoo told me to turn it off.
Her alarm has been waking me up at 4:30M every since I retired, and this did bring a smile to my face, what can I say.

After feeding Casey, cleaning his cage and giving him some play time, my coffee was ready and it was time for a shave.
I must say the Merkur 15C is the mildest open comb razor in my arsenal, but is fully capable of delivering a close, comfortable shave.
I couldn't feel either the blade or the combs on the first WTG pass, the 15C silently slicing through two days of stubble, a true testament of just how mild this razor is.
On the second ATG pass, mostly S-N, the blade began to sing and I could feel the combs, keeping the cap in contact with my skin as demanded by the design angle, while maintaining a steep approach.
The Shavemac 26/52 was in it's prime this morning also, holding just the right amount of water after a good squeeze and a few dunks in the water mug for a perfectly slick and runny lather, even better on the subsequent lathering's. Great knot.

The end result was a very close shave with a surprise weeper at the base of my neck as the only proof this razor is capable of a nick or two. In my case, the weeper disappeared with with a simple wipe of my finger.
The Witch hazel felt nice and slick, the Black Label Fougere had nary a burn, and the Nivea balm just soaked in nicely.

Yeah, it's not a Wolfman, but it is a worthwhile razor to keep in my travel bag.

~doug~

OCtober SOTD

Razor:
Merkur 15C
Blade: Gillette Platinum (5)
Brush: Shavemac 26/52
Soap: Ginestra di Taormina
ASL: Black Label Fougere
View attachment 1534467
For my second morning shave of the month I set the alarm for 3:00am, and woke when WhichyPoo told me to turn it off.
Her alarm has been waking me up at 4:30M every since I retired, and this did bring a smile to my face, what can I say.

After feeding Casey, cleaning his cage and giving him some play time, my coffee was ready and it was time for a shave.
I must say the Merkur 15C is the mildest open comb razor in my arsenal, but is fully capable of delivering a close, comfortable shave.
I couldn't feel either the blade or the combs on the first WTG pass, the 15C silently slicing through two days of stubble, a true testament of just how mild this razor is.
On the second ATG pass, mostly S-N, the blade began to sing and I could feel the combs, keeping the cap in contact with my skin as demanded by the design angle, while maintaining a steep approach.
The Shavemac 26/52 was in it's prime this morning also, holding just the right amount of water after a good squeeze and a few dunks in the water mug for a perfectly slick and runny lather, even better on the subsequent lathering's. Great knot.

The end result was a very close shave with a surprise weeper at the base of my neck as the only proof this razor is capable of a nick or two. In my case, the weeper disappeared with with a simple wipe of my finger.
The Witch hazel felt nice and slick, the Black Label Fougere had nary a burn, and the Nivea balm just soaked in nicely.

Yeah, it's not a Wolfman, but it is a worthwhile razor to keep in my travel bag.

~doug~
Your photo skills make even the humble Merkur open comb head look like a class act!

On an unrelated note, what the hell are you doing dragging your arse out of bed at 3 a.m.?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, OCtober 6th 2022

Razor : Razorock SLOC with RR barber pole handle- Mfg 2017> mild upper range, double open comb, great design for self lubrication(kind of works even) + affordable. One of the best razors for newbie or seasoned shavers to use + a joy to use.
Blade : Gillette Nacet(5) sharp & smooth with excellent longevity.
Soap : Razorock Fresco XXX, nice unique clean scent (some menthol added) + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi Mysterious space, timber wolf synthetic, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock fresco XXX:001_wub: with witch hazel+ a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my RR SLOC with a Gillette Nacet blade.
SOTD October 6 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom