What's new

October 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Date
365 days of shaving305/304
(100%)
GRUMEOut
OCtober26/31 (84%)
Tabactober15/31 (48%)

Passes3
WXTG(2)Gillette Slide
(NE-SW)

ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Efficiency & Effectiveness
Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
7/10 (DFS)
5/10 (weepers on the neck and some irritation)
7/10 (harsh)

Razor
Blade
Brush
NEW Flat BottomGillette 7 o'clock black (6)Razorock Plissoft 400
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Proraso Green
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Proraso residual lather face wash
Chanel Allure (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave:

Had some issues and challenges to attend to, so I did not post yesterday. The shave was ok and could have been better. This blade is working, but I retired it because the shave felt harsh and I incurred a number of neck weepers and irritation. That is a no in my book for a next run. Everything else performed beautifully.

In terms of technique, the Gillette Slides saved the shave, because I could use the slide to temper the harshness quite a bit. I have seen other gents take the Black to double digits, but maybe this is not the blade for me in that department - because the first couple of shaves were excellent.

Finishing October's GRUME with 30/31 - after the Tabac no personal shaving acquisitions. I did buy stuff for other brothers, but that's it. Many itches and urges - all overcome. Congrats to all who made it through. See you on the other side for November!

Date
365 days of shaving306/305
(100%)
GRUMEOut
OCtober27/31 (87%)
Tabactober16/31 (52%)

Passes4
WXTG(2)Gillette Slide
(NE-SW)

ATG (2)Straight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Efficiency & Effectiveness
Quality & Comfort
7/10 (~25 minutes)
5/10 (CCS)
10/10 (Clean)
5/10 (pulling)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41 on Razorine 70 handleTiger Platinum (4)Kox Blue Synthetic
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tallow Tabac
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
KCG face wash
Chanel Allure (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave:

I have said it before - I have a love/hate relationship with my Tiger blades. The Tiger roared today and maybe was not a right match with the R41. The R41 on the other hand took no prisoners and the combination of the two lead to a rough shave. It got the job done and I was fit to go to work, but I definitely have another definition of pleasant shaves in my shave dictionary.

Tabac performed wonderfully and is an excellent addition to my soap rotation. I was in and out of Tabactober but it has been a fun ride. So thank you @JAHE for your perseverance on getting me to use this soap. The scent is still not my most favorite one, but the lather quality and shaving support I get from Tabac are almost second to none. So happy again to have experienced this.

I’m looking forward to completing this GRUME after washing out in September. This will be four out of five for me now.
The temps dropped here last week, high 30s-40 overnight, 60-70° during the day. I’ve had the woodstove burning during the day, which means a lot of the autumn harvest, lunch, and supper are cooking or heating on it much of the time. I also have returned to heating my shaving water on the stove. So we are saving a bit on electricity as the days get colder.
I’ll probably have a Micromatic Monday / OCtober shave to post later, ifin’ I work up the courage to use my aggressive OC Micromatic.
P.S. whatever I decide on the razor, I will definitely do an electric razor spot shave in the area where I keep snagging that cut. Then l’ll need to focus on avoiding it later. For now, another dab of vitamin E oil and aloe.

I was looking forward to my shave today after being pleased with my Gillette New LC and finding a renewed appreciation for face lathering. I had more time, and began anticipating a better shave than yesterday. But user error was the order of the day and it was not to be. First, I got the brush too wet on the first pass (shulda just started over). It made for a rough start with 30 hours of growth resistance. Next, on the second pass, I snagged my chin, and stubbornly trying to get over that spot; yup, blood. I thought maybe my blade had finally given up, but discovered my razor head had come slightly loose. I’ve had this happen before on my tech, and it hasn’t been that big of a deal. It appears that a loose razor with an OC is much more dangerous! (FWIW I have never noticed that a properly assembled OC is more aggressive or dangerous than a similar razor with a safety bar. Both my Gillette OCs are milder than my Prewar Tech). I had to be cautious not to make my cut worse the rest of the shave, but still managed a CCS/DFS on most of my face. Oh well, there’s always tomorrow!
I use a nylon washer on my three-piece razors, over the threaded post so that it sits between base plate and handle. It helps to keep things snug while avoiding the metal-on-metal scratching that comes with tightening up a razor. They're cheap and worth using, at least for me. :)

I think you should still be in, there should be an exception clause for cases like this. Mike’s products are so very hit and miss, so restock days are usually a mismatch for desired purchases. (I had a discussion with @FoolishMortal about this in June and he seemed to be sympathetic.) I watched for two weeks while I was out in September, and all Mike’s had was two (to me) undesirable choices. I finally gave up ordered them at the end of the month. And then within two days, you guessed it, my favorites were back in stock. I don’t blame Mike, he runs a small business and is apparently a one man operation or very low staffed. And who knows, maybe the Lime and Honeysuckle soaps I purchased will turn out to be very good!
I'm sympathetic in the sense that, if Mike's is the only soap you use, buying pucks when they are available is fine as long as it doesn't devolve into treewhaling. If you've got other soaps to use, and you're buying Mike's based on FOMO, that's not the same. :)

Well, I am out! LOL, but I am good with it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I won a couple of GEM razors from the St. Sue auction. My first GEMs, so of course I needed blades. A small blade order from Connaught without thinking and I am out.

First shaving related purchase on a few months, so I’m still winning. 👍

See you fine folks in Dec!

I'm out!

My favorite soap maker, Mike's Natural Soaps finally got some soaps up on the website and I couldn't resist. I picked up some Orange, Cedarwood and Black Pepper and Barbershop, two great scents.

I had not bought anything in months but I'll pick myself up and enjoy the November GRUME.

Just as we near the finish line, a couple of stumbles. Still, considering the amount of restraint shown up until the final weekend, that's not bad.

And to the gents who - assuming they make it through today - have finished, a hearty "Well done!" is in order.

I guess this brings us to one last October...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - SOTMC - Tabactober
2) Markdad2 - out (10/3: Aftershave) - (30/31) - out (10/8: soaps)
3) @FL shaver
4) @Balin - SOTMC - Tabactober
5) tjsgarden - out (10/12: Birch Bark, XLSTF, MdC, boar) - Tabactober - SWS
6) @LJBraaten
7) @Multum in parvo - Tabactober - OCtober
8) @elmo_koffman
9) Jack Goossen - out (10/9: OG Green Cult)
10) @Doti B
11) @linty1 (30/31)
12) @kjbarth - GRUYERE
13) @Kyle89
14) @sarir97
15) Guido75 - out (10/4: Tabac)
16) @sandorfi - SOTMC - Tabactober
17) cryhavoc - out (10/30: Mike's soaps)
18) SharpieB - out (10/29: SE blades)
19) @La Malice - SOTMC - Tabactober
20) Jayson74 - out (10/21: PIF-prize SS)
21) hopper_64 - out (10/14: Omega EVO 2.0) - (30/31) - Tabactober - OCtober
22) Trollky - out (10/24: Fatips)
23) @cantujm
24) @JaggardJ
25) lasta out (10/9: Plucked by a chicken) - Tabactober
26) @Chef455
27) @Dodger59
28) @ChriWilson SOTMC - Tabactober - SWS
29) @bjm
30) @Roedeer
31) @iver
32) @1Pet5_8
33) wmadoty - out (10/19: Cheap Disappointments)
34) @markmc

Yes, still in, and second razor mishap in three days, and I haven’t even shaved yet!

***WARNING!!! GRAPHIC PHOTO***

I decided to strop my Gem blade on my Stag Sharpener. (No…wait for it…). Then decided to load blade into my Micromatic early. I wanted to test the mechanism after loading it. The cap is TTO, and it sometimes hangs up while opening it. It did. I pried it open with my thumb, and the blade caught it just below the nail, then made a left turn and continued cutting until nearly the top of the nail.
Slightly disturbing photo:

4EB1D319-CACB-4E07-B0DA-12DFEF33741A.jpeg

(Hmmm, it asked if I wanted to insert a thumbnail; how did it know?)

Anyway, there is not much blood and not any pain, so far. I think I found the problem: there’s a little calcium on the sides of the cap, and the blade is hanging up on it. Soaking and scrubbing with Dove, but this may need an intervention: Vinegar.

5BE8D1C5-8E52-4597-88B6-45B2ED114B54.jpeg

Day 31, 100% complete. ✓

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.68 OC, Al Handle, KCG #8
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

A repeat of yesterday, for a comfortable DFS.

Congratulations if you made it to the finish line! Hope to see some of you over in the November GRUME.

After my earlier thumbnail slicing episode I got one of the most satisfying shaves I’ve gotten with an OC Micromatic. I was so distracted with earlier events that I forgot to preshave the cut area on my chin, but I managed not to stir it up. The razor glided easily on my face over Mike’s Natural Barbershop Soap. I think the newly sharpened blade helped, and focusing on the razor flat on my face (a requirement for many Gems) with a light touch also contributed. Another DFS!

lasta

Blade Biter
Yes, still in, and second razor mishap in three days, and I haven’t even shaved yet!

***WARNING!!! GRAPHIC PHOTO***

I decided to strop my Gem blade on my Stag Sharpener. (No…wait for it…). Then decided to load blade into my Micromatic early. I wanted to test the mechanism after loading it. The cap is TTO, and it sometimes hangs up while opening it. It did. I pried it open with my thumb, and the blade caught it just below the nail, then made a left turn and continued cutting until nearly the top of the nail.
Slightly disturbing photo:

View attachment 1549294

(Hmmm, it asked if I wanted to insert a thumbnail; how did it know?)

Anyway, there is not much blood and not any pain, so far. I think I found the problem: there’s a little calcium on the sides of the cap, and the blade is hanging up on it. Soaking and scrubbing with Dove, but this may need an intervention: Vinegar.

View attachment 1549296
Oh, poor thing!

Did the blade get damaged? Can it still be salvaged? Are you going to take it to 100?

Top Bottom