What's new

October 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in.

Another zen shave. Tabac is good stuff 😉

Muhle Kosmo STF | Henson++ | Wilkinson Sword | The Goodfellas' Smile wooden bowl | Tabac | Cella aftershave
2022-10-28 18.24.01.jpg

30/31 GRUME, day 28
Tabactober

"Our 5 Year Anniversary"

View attachment 1547454

Schick Korona
Feather Platinum (7)
Muhle X-Large STF
Tallow-Tabac

Hey Guys
Today is very special! Kathy and I are celebrating our 5 year anniversary...we still consider ourselves as newlyweds.
On our first date and on our wedding day and again today we are going to a special restaurant called Trapps overlooking the Ouachita River. It has been over a year since we have gone to a theater so later this afternoon, we're going to see a movie.
Tonight it is champagne.

As to the shave, the Muhle brush is a big winner. I spent extra time "playing" with the lather on my face because it felt so soft and enjoyable.
Congratulations on the Anniversary @tjsgarden!

Still in
This evenings shave consisted of
Pre-Shave: Hot Shower
Brush: FS Shaving 3-band Silvertip Badger
BLade: Wizamet Super Irifium
Razor: Rockwell 6C (5)
Soap: Czech & Speake No.88
Post shave:Alum Block
Davidoff Cool Water AS Splash
Proraso Sandalwood & Shea Butter ASB
Czech & Speake No.88 EDP

Great shave as I took my time. Lovely BBS finish. C&S soap performance was exemplary and the EDP just topped off the shave to a T. I’ll see if I can squeeze one more in before November

I can smell the finish line 💪💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻

Still in!
IMG_20221028_194203.jpg

Day 2 of the @Roedeer - Balin Game EX Changer!

I really enjoyed my shave today! There were no concerns with dragging on the first pass. There was no irritation during or post shave. 2 passes DFS+ with no buffing required on the jawline!

I used the RR Thin handle, which I think may be my favourte RR handle coming in at 76mm and 40g. Tomorrow I may try the RR Barber Pole handle.

Day 28, 90.3% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.68 OC, Al Handle, KCG #5
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

Third shave with the open comb .68, in the Roedeer - @Balin Game EX-changer. Got a comfortable near-BBS.

So far, this is looking like a good candidate for seven days a week. (I'd hoped the open comb .84 would be, but gave myself cumulative irritation using that one ATG.)

I used the RR Thin handle, which I think may be my favourte RR handle coming in at 76mm and 40g. Tomorrow I may try the RR Barber Pole handle.

That looks like a nice handle, Balin.

I enjoyed my Rockwells (the 6S was 118g), but later I thought the perfectly made thin caps and thin baseplates, plus the precise CNCed design of the Game Changers were a "Rockwell Killer".

It (eventually) beat the Rockwell for me, and yet they still send them out with those self-sabotaging handles (Bulldog handle alone, 73g) that could do service as boat-anchors.

Still in and determined to stay in! Sounds like a great time, @FoolishMortal!
Here’s today’s earlier than usual OCtober shave:

I’ve rediscovered face lathering, and think I’m a convert. For what I am looking for, a slick only slightly stiff lather while maintaining moisture on my face — it is perfect. It is quicker, easier to adjust or correct, and more economical (no leftovers) than trying to mix in a scuttle. What’s not to like? I’ll be trying this again for a while and may never turn back!
Face lathering is great.

I was looking forward to my shave today after being pleased with my Gillette New LC and finding a renewed appreciation for face lathering. I had more time, and began anticipating a better shave than yesterday. But user error was the order of the day and it was not to be. First, I got the brush too wet on the first pass (shulda just started over). It made for a rough start with 30 hours of growth resistance. Next, on the second pass, I snagged my chin, and stubbornly trying to get over that spot; yup, blood. I thought maybe my blade had finally given up, but discovered my razor head had come slightly loose. I’ve had this happen before on my tech, and it hasn’t been that big of a deal. It appears that a loose razor with an OC is much more dangerous! (FWIW I have never noticed that a properly assembled OC is more aggressive or dangerous than a similar razor with a safety bar. Both my Gillette OCs are milder than my Prewar Tech). I had to be cautious not to make my cut worse the rest of the shave, but still managed a CCS/DFS on most of my face. Oh well, there’s always tomorrow!

I was looking forward to my shave today after being pleased with my Gillette New LC and finding a renewed appreciation for face lathering. I had more time, and began anticipating a better shave than yesterday. But user error was the order of the day and it was not to be. First, I got the brush too wet on the first pass (shulda just started over). It made for a rough start with 30 hours of growth resistance. Next, on the second pass, I snagged my chin, and stubbornly trying to get over that spot; yup, blood. I thought maybe my blade had finally given up, but discovered my razor head had come slightly loose. I’ve had this happen before on my tech, and it hasn’t been that big of a deal. It appears that a loose razor with an OC is much more dangerous! (FWIW I have never noticed that a properly assembled OC is more aggressive or dangerous than a similar razor with a safety bar. Both my Gillette OCs are milder than my Prewar Tech). I had to be cautious not to make my cut worse the rest of the shave, but still managed a CCS/DFS on most of my face. Oh well, there’s always tomorrow!
Praise the Lord and let us be thankful The Holy Feather was not the issue here 🙏🏽
I was thinking: maybe your Feather was snatched from Saint Michaels wing?

Date
365 days of shaving303/302
(100%)
GRUMEOut
OCtober25/31 (81%)
Tabactober15/31 (48%)

Passes3
WXTG(2)Gillette Slide
(NE-SW)

ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Efficiency & Effectiveness
Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
9/10 (BBS-)
7.5/10 (weepers on the neck and some irritation)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Razor
Blade
Brush
NEW ImprovedPerma-Sharp (1)Omega Proraso
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tallow Tabac
Kox Enamel
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
KCG Face wash
Proraso Green (A/S)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave:

First run with a nee to me blade which was part of a blade pack by Jack
:thumbup:
. Stainless steel blade and from stroke one super smooth. Very comfortable and indeed sharp - so incurred a couple of weepers/nicks on the ATG on the neck.

The pairing with the NEW Improved is marvellous. This remains a very nimble, smooth and easy to use razor - extremely happy with this one!
:001_wub:

Used Tabac again today and that did not disappoint either. Super slick. Tipdip lathering worked but my boar is my most thirsty brush so I need to load heavier next time.

Excellent start of Saturday!

Date
365 days of shaving303/302
(100%)
GRUMEOut
OCtober25/31 (81%)
Tabactober15/31 (48%)

Passes3
WXTG(2)Gillette Slide
(NE-SW)

ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Efficiency & Effectiveness
Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
9/10 (BBS-)
7.5/10 (weepers on the neck and some irritation)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Razor
Blade
Brush
NEW ImprovedPerma-Sharp (1)Omega Proraso
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tallow Tabac
Kox Enamel
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
KCG Face wash
Proraso Green (A/S)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave:

First run with a nee to me blade which was part of a blade pack by Jack
:thumbup:
. Stainless steel blade and from stroke one super smooth. Very comfortable and indeed sharp - so incurred a couple of weepers/nicks on the ATG on the neck.

The pairing with the NEW Improved is marvellous. This remains a very nimble, smooth and easy to use razor - extremely happy with this one!
:001_wub:

Used Tabac again today and that did not disappoint either. Super slick. Tipdip lathering worked but my boar is my most thirsty brush so I need to load heavier next time.

Excellent start of Saturday!
That' a nice setup.

Did the Tabac scent grow on you in the meantime?

Cheers
Guido

Still in

A nice BBS shave today and finished off the last of this Tabac stick. Thank goodness I've got a bunch of the tallow sticks left.

Razor: GEM Junior w/ Baton handle
Blade: GEM PTFE (4)
Soap: Tabac stick (Tallow)
Brush: Omega 10065 Boar
AS: PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum

Well, I am out! LOL, but I am good with it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I won a couple of GEM razors from the St. Sue auction. My first GEMs, so of course I needed blades. A small blade order from Connaught without thinking and I am out.

First shaving related purchase on a few months, so I’m still winning. 👍

See you fine folks in Dec!

Top Bottom