What's new

October 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in!
IMG_20221027_192311.jpg

Thanks @Guido75 for the @Roedeer - Balin Game EX-changer moniker!!

Its been at least 6 months since I have used the .84 SB. I had a really nice shave and I can only see them improving as I re-learn this base plate. Definitely a DFS+ shave and I bet by the end of the week I will be getting BBS shaves. I did my usual 2 pass shave and had very little alum feedback. For my first pass, I thought that maybe it was not gliding well because of the safety bar, but the second pass was fine, so I attribute that to not having enough water in the Tabac. Second pass picked up everything I missed on the first pass except for small part just under the jawline. A quick buff cleared it right up!

Last edited:
Still in and determined to stay in! Sounds like a great time, @FoolishMortal!
Here’s today’s earlier than usual OCtober shave:
Under time pressure to get a quick morning shave since I’m spending the rest of the day, until 9 pm, in town. I got out my Gillette New LC and skipped the scuttle for a face lather. Only one pass each way on my cheeks area, four passes around the chin area. A CCS+ in record time!
I’ve rediscovered face lathering, and think I’m a convert. For what I am looking for, a slick only slightly stiff lather while maintaining moisture on my face — it is perfect. It is quicker, easier to adjust or correct, and more economical (no leftovers) than trying to mix in a scuttle. What’s not to like? I’ll be trying this again for a while and may never turn back!

Day 27, 87.1% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.68 OC, Al Handle, KCG #4
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

Second shave with the open comb .68, in the Roedeer - @Balin Game EX-changer. Got a comfortable DFS, and did not chase after a BBS finish. This feels easygoing, but might be working better at a shallow angle ("riding the cap"). It's agile in tight corners, and works well with an 84mm 23g aluminium handle.

Very little sting from the 2-in-1 (and that stuff lets you know, if you've made mistakes).

DSCN4833_compressed.jpg

Date
365 days of shaving302/301
(100%)
GRUMEOut
OCtober24/31 (77%)
Tabactober14/31 (45%)

Passes3
WXTG(2)Gillette Slide
(NE-SW)

ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Efficiency & Effectiveness
Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
9/10 (BBS-)
10/10 (One weeper but gone during relathering)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Fatip Special EditionKing C Gillette (27)Omega Super Badger
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Proraso
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Face wash with residual lather
Proraso Green (A/S)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave:

What can I say - blissful shave. KCG blade still going strong and an amazing teammate for the Fatip SE OC. Everything Proraso was wonderful and really combining with each other (duh - all from the same line). Even my worn-down badger brush (my oldest and first brush since I was 18-19) was a great performer today. I think it really benefits from John's (@tjsgarden) lathering method. Kudos to John!

Continued my revisit of earlier used techniques and I must say that those double Gillette Slide passes combined with a single ATG pass makes for one comfortable shave. My increased experience helps in the efficiency department as I also understand all of my razors better.

Just a few more days and November is here! I am looking forward to using my SB razors!

Enjoy your shaves!

linty1

My wallet cries.
thumbnail_IMG_0814.jpg

Still in.

First shave on the reknotted Kent blk8, I kept the original knot depth, and it's the floppy-ness that I associate with these brushes (although not quite as floppy as the bk4). It's been through two washes (castille soap and zingari brush cleaner), and got rid of a bit of badger funk. Knot was already very useable/nice out of the gate and blooms nicely. Handle is wonderfully comfortable to hold, kinda thought that the blk8 would be a bigger on the face? But this is very nice. I'll get a shot of the 4 and 8 side by side next time. Does anybody have a 12 to look at?

30/31 GRUME, day 28
Tabactober

"Our 5 Year Anniversary"

PXL_20221028_152330589.jpg

Schick Korona
Feather Platinum (7)
Muhle X-Large STF
Tallow-Tabac

Hey Guys
Today is very special! Kathy and I are celebrating our 5 year anniversary...we still consider ourselves as newlyweds.
On our first date and on our wedding day and again today we are going to a special restaurant called Trapps overlooking the Ouachita River. It has been over a year since we have gone to a theater so later this afternoon, we're going to see a movie.
Tonight it is champagne.

As to the shave, the Muhle brush is a big winner. I spent extra time "playing" with the lather on my face because it felt so soft and enjoyable.

30/31 GRUME, day 28
Tabactober

"Our 5 Year Anniversary"

Hey Guys
Today is very special! Kathy and I are celebrating our 5 year anniversary...we still consider ourselves as newlyweds.
On our first date and on our wedding day and again today we are going to a special restaurant called Trapps overlooking the Ouachita River. It has been over a year since we have gone to a theater so later this afternoon, we're going to see a movie.
Tonight it is champagne.
Congratulations, that's great!

30/31 GRUME, day 28
Tabactober

"Our 5 Year Anniversary"

View attachment 1547454

Schick Korona
Feather Platinum (7)
Muhle X-Large STF
Tallow-Tabac

Hey Guys
Tonight it is champagne.

As to the shave, the Muhle brush is a big winner. I spent extra time "playing" with the lather on my face because it felt so soft and enjoyable.
Congrats John! Enjoy your night out!

Guido

30/31 GRUME, day 28
Tabactober

"Our 5 Year Anniversary"

View attachment 1547454

Schick Korona
Feather Platinum (7)
Muhle X-Large STF
Tallow-Tabac

Hey Guys
Tonight it is champagne.

Happy anniversary! Best wishes and may there many more happy years ahead!

Top Bottom