What's new

October 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in!
IMG_20221026_175103.jpg

Last edited:
Day 26, 83.9% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Opuntia
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.68 OC, Al Handle, KCG #3
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

This is my first shave in the Roedeer-Balin Game EXChanger (thanks to @Guido75 for thinking up the title). I'm using my neglected .68 open comb, he's using his neglected .84 safety bar.

Moved the KCG blade to the open comb .68 Game Changer, and used a known first-class soap, so the only significant variable here is the base plate.

Overall, I got a good near-BBS result. Although the Italian Barber chart has it at 14, versus 19 for the .84 SB (higher numbers = more aggressive), it didn't feel underpowered.

This was more comfortable to use ATG than the .84OC (24 on the chart), and seemed to work as well as the .84P, so it's a candidate for 7 days a week.

Later (about an hour after shaving), that thing did a remarkably good neck shave! An open comb razor is the last place I'd have looked for that!

Face shave not quite perfect? Shrug, let's do some more tidying up.

Neck shave not quite perfect? Walk away quietly from that one, and accept your defeat, if you don't want blade burn. The skin is thinner, so your blade strokes are rationed.

Last edited:
From the OCtober thread:
This was going to be an OCcasional thing for me, shaved with my Gillette Old Type and New early on, I got decent shaves, not quite up to the standard of my favorite Tech. I decided to do an obligatory last shave with the New, and it blew my socks off! I see now why it used to be my favorite. It matched the tech for performance, and once I get used to the different size, weight, etc. it may exceed it. I attribute the difference to changes in technique, I have also been getting closer shaves with my tech lately. (The blade is not a variable, been using the same Feather for over 4 months.) A DFS, almost a BBS! Now I’m planning on using it for at least the rest of OCtober!View attachment 1546610

Which occasions this update:

Me: I got shave 130 on my blade today!
She: Didn’t you get 130 yesterday?
Me: I would have, but I used a different blade on Monday. {She had to be counting since Sunday to have that number so quickly on hand. I still have this one positive shaving equipment response! Yippee! All is not lost!}

From the OCtober thread:

Which occasions this update:

Me: I got shave 130 on my blade today!
She: Didn’t you get 130 yesterday?
Me: I would have, but I used a different blade on Monday. {She had to be counting since Sunday to have that number so quickly on hand. I still have this one positive shaving equipment response! Yippee! All is not lost!}
<enters shave den> “ehh dear…where are my razors and other blades?!”

LOTH:”Oh I figured since you apparently only need one blade I thought one razor would be sufficient for you. Don’t you worry I got a nice price for them!”

“By the way what do you think of the new vanity setup?”

<end of scene>

:lol::popc:

Date
365 days of shaving301/300
(100%)
GRUMEOut
OCtober23/31 (74%)
Tabactober14/31 (45%)

Passes3
WXTG(2)Gillette Slide
(NE-SW)

ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Efficiency & Effectiveness
Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
9/10 (BBS-)
9/10 (Two minor weepers)
9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette NEW LC on Lasta Red handle
Gillette Platinum (4)Kox Blue Synthetic
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Haslinger Sandalholz
Proraso bowl/face lather
Cold splash
Face wash with residual lather

Notes to today’s shave:

The blade was not at its end. Wonderful and soft performance paired with the NEW LC.

I decided to return to an old favourite of mine and did two Gillette Slide passes followed up by a single ATG pass. Really nice and smooth result with practically allround BBS. @CCS was messing with my brain, because after my post routine and cleaning gear I felt some stray whiskers and the next thing I knew I was holding my razor again to get rid of them.

This Gillette Slide goes well with my beardmap. And actually is WAXTG all in one, because my pattern doesn’t necessarily match the way I do the pass. I don’t mind or care as long as the end result is there.

Haslinger performed like a charm. Rich, thick and creamy lather using the @tjsgarden tipdip brush method. Thoroughly enjoyed the face lathering.

Ready for another day! Enjoy your shaves!

1666876899457.png

@LJBraaten
I like everything in this photo!
The soap bowl seems to fit your avatar and personality. Is that a new knot in the Ever-Ready handle?
The razor is a real beauty!

BUT WAIT.......................................Is that "THE FEATHER LJB 130+" ?
You can tell the LOTH that you have made some excellent purchases.

Last edited:
30/31 GRUMER, day 27
Tobactober
OC-tober

PXL_20221027_144457538.jpg

Gillette "Old Type OC, I think?"
Feather Platinum (6)
Brushworx G5C
Tallow-Tabac

Hey Guys
I notice other OC-toberites in our midst so I decided to post in their thread today.
I started out the shave more-so riding the guard but quickly got better results riding the cap a bit on the first pass.
On the second and touch-up passes, I "did the slide" diagonally to the left and the right and started riding the guard.
The shave was comfortable. I don't get technical concerning the outcome but it would probably rate as a DFS+.

View attachment 1546757
@LJBraaten
I like everything in this photo!
The soap bowl seems to fit your avatar and personality. Is that a new knot in the Ever-Ready handle?
The razor is a real beauty!

BUT WAIT.......................................Is that "THE FEATHER LJB 130+" ?
You can tell the LOTH that you have made some excellent purchases.
Thanks! The cup is a thrift store special. I purchased the brush about 2 years ago, it had a new knot, the seller “had” to get rid of some stuff.(I suspect a woman might have been involved.) I later bought a polyester brush with a new Timberwolf (?) knot from him. The razor has its tarnish and flaws, some gold plating worn off. Best side forward for a picture and lots of light to make it shine makes it look better 😁. Yes, that’s the blade in its younger days, only in its 80s or 90s when it posed for this picture.

The November thread is up:

I'm still in, and around - just really, really busy. My wonderful in-laws (nope, not being facetious) were in town, so I have been spending time eating oysters at the coast, dinner in Sonoma, hiking with dogs and sitting around doing not a lot...IRL.

However, I have a thread to steward, so...

I am out and it is my wife's fault. My wife made me go to the Dollar Tree. I walked out with a razor, a brush, soap, and aftershave. Everything was $1.25. I will have a six dollar shave in the morning.

Next month I will do better. The razor looks pretty scary. The razor has a very large blade gap and positive blade exposure I might have to file 13 it. The soap appears to be an unexpected gem. A test lather looks very promising.

I just noticed a reference to GRUME rule 5!

No entering PIF's. I guess I am out. I received a consolation Super Speed from Luvmysuper.

No is the answer.... So I'm out!

I had a spare 5 minutes between meetings and made the mistake of perusing Connaught's website. I totally accidentally landed on the Fatip page whereupon I, again totally accidentally, managed to add a Chrome Grande OC, a Chrome IL Grosso OC and a Chrome Omega razor & brush stand to my shopping basket. An unbelievable turn of events I think you will agree. To make matters worse I then totally accidentally placed the order....

Talk about being accident prone 😉

A few more victims of ADs have given up the ghost, but 30/31 is still possible.

And when brothers fall, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - SOTMC - Tabactober
2) Markdad2 - out (10/3: Aftershave) - (30/31) - out (10/8: soaps)
3) @FL shaver
4) @Balin - SOTMC - Tabactober
5) tjsgarden - out (10/12: Birch Bark, XLSTF, MdC, boar) - Tabactober - SWS
6) @LJBraaten
7) @Multum in parvo - Tabactober - OCtober
8) @elmo_koffman
9) Jack Goossen - out (10/9: OG Green Cult)
10) @Doti B
11) @linty1 (30/31)
12) @kjbarth - GRUYERE
13) @Kyle89
14) @sarir97
15) Guido75 - out (10/4: Tabac)
16) @sandorfi - SOTMC - Tabactober
17) @cryhavoc
18) @SharpieB
19) @La Malice - SOTMC - Tabactober
20) Jayson74 - out (10/21: PIF-prize SS)
21) hopper_64 - out (10/14: Omega EVO 2.0) - (30/31) - Tabactober - OCtober
22) Trollky - out (10/24: Fatips)
23) @cantujm
24) @JaggardJ
25) lasta out (10/9: Plucked by a chicken) - Tabactober
26) @Chef455
27) @Dodger59
28) @ChriWilson SOTMC - Tabactober - SWS
29) @bjm
30) @Roedeer
31) @iver
32) @1Pet5_8
33) wmadoty - out (10/19: Cheap Disappointments)
34) @markmc

Top Bottom