What's new

October 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Tuesday October 4 - Still in

Gillette New FB with Heritage handle
Perma-Sharp Super (5)
Hans Baier Silvertip
Tabac
Stirling Gentleman

IMG-4814_DSC_4814 (2).JPG

Shoot, I am out. Last month I traded some Cella and 15 bucks for a few soaps. Noble Otter Rawr, Neon Sun, A&E Little Fictions, and DG Weinstrasse he threw in for free. Most of these soaps only had a scoop taken out. He wanted to throw in the AS for Neon Sun when we made the deal, but I wasn't sure without smelling it. After receiving the soap, and the free DG I thanked him and asked me if I wanted the AS for them he would send them if I paid shipping. I went for it. Maybe next month will be my month! Have a great evening.
Well, we have our first "out" for the month. I'm sorry to see you drop, but you're certainly welcome to commit to going for 30/31, which is a darned sight better than treewhaling. And if you don't want to do that, you can hang around, anyway. In either case, we'll look forward to seeing you in November, if you're so inclined.
Goods for goods transactions are not against GRUME. Think of the $15 as a tip, not a purchase.
Nope, that's not how it works. A trade is a trade - perfectly acceptable. Money exchanged for goods, though, even if that's to "even up" a trade, puts you out. Imagine if I "traded" 1 blade plus $150 for a Fatboy...

First, that's silly. Who would pay $150 for a Fatboy? Second, and more important, it's against the spirit of GRUME.
So…ehh…yeah…how to put this…emm…

…I’m out…
:blushing:

I have a reputation to uphold of being (one of) the first to be out each month, so I thought “well I broke my old record by a day - that counts for something”.

No razor, no blades, nothing special, unicorn or anything like that. Nothing that will go out of stock. Nope, just a want to try a soap that has been sort of forced (or maybe the correct term is enabled) on me this month.

View attachment 1533504

This is the container I already have and in it I just placed this:

View attachment 1533505

I know the LOTH will not approve as she doesn’t like the scent at all. And I must say I sprayed a little aftershave on a scent stick and man that was in my face! Much heavier in scent than anything I have. And just sniffed the puck which is no different
:blink:

There are no other purchases planned not itches that need attending. This was a deliberate act beyond restraint. I just want to test a shave with the famous soap. If it is a test of my marriage I will PIF it to my dad as he would have a ball in Tabactober I can assure you.

So I will be here for the rest of the month making it 30/31 just as I did last month. And the month before. And the month before…and…you get the idea!

Onwards as my Head Master would say!
And we have our second loss for the month, but it's for a worthy cause and a worthy soap. I hope you were able to get the tallow version. And, of course, we want you to stick around and post, especially if you're shooting for 30/31.

Heck, maybe we need a "30/31" thread!

Anyway, when a brother or two falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - SOTMC - Tabactober
2) Markdad2 - out (10/3: Aftershave)
3) @FL shaver
4) @Balin - SOTMC - Tabactober
5) @tjsgarden - Tabactober - SWS
6) @LJBraaten
7) @Multum in parvo - Tabactober - OCtober
8) @elmo_koffman
9) @Jack Goossen
10) @Doti B
11) @linty1 (30/31)
12) @kjbarth - GRUYERE
13) @Kyle89
14) @sarir97
15) Guido75 - out (10/4: Tabac)
16) @sandorfi - SOTMC - Tabactober
17) @cryhavoc
18) @SharpieB
19) @La Malice - SOTMC - Tabactober
20) @Jayson74
21) @hopper_64 - Tabactober - OCtober
22) @Trollky
23) @cantujm
24) @JaggardJ
25) @lasta - Tabactober
26) @Chef455
27) @Dodger59
28) @ChriWilson SOTMC - Tabactober - SWS
29) @bjm
30) @Roedeer
31) @iver
32) @1Pet5_8

Still in
Tonight’s shave was
Pre-Shave: Warm face wash
Soap:Fine Santal Absolut puck
Razor: Rockwell 6C (5)
Blade: King C Gillette
Brush: FS Shaving 3-Band Silvertip Badger

Post-Shave: Alum Block
Williams Acqua Velva Ice Blue AS
Proraso Sandalwood and Shea Butter ASB
TOBS Sandalwood Cologne

Lovely shave this evening. Had to dig deep into the drawer for this one. Just a first class shave period. BBS finish just put the icing on the cake.

Stay safe especially if you’re in hurricane territory. On to the next one 😎😎😎😎

Attachments

• 30334B4C-4CF5-4891-A002-4844E53DFAF6.jpeg
    30334B4C-4CF5-4891-A002-4844E53DFAF6.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
So…ehh…yeah…how to put this…emm…

…I’m out…:blushing:

I have a reputation to uphold of being (one of) the first to be out each month, so I thought “well I broke my old record by a day - that counts for something”.

No razor, no blades, nothing special, unicorn or anything like that. Nothing that will go out of stock. Nope, just a want to try a soap that has been sort of forced (or maybe the correct term is enabled) on me this month.

View attachment 1533504

This is the container I already have and in it I just placed this:

View attachment 1533505

I know the LOTH will not approve as she doesn’t like the scent at all. And I must say I sprayed a little aftershave on a scent stick and man that was in my face! Much heavier in scent than anything I have. And just sniffed the puck which is no different :blink:.

There are no other purchases planned not itches that need attending. This was a deliberate act beyond restraint. I just want to test a shave with the famous soap. If it is a test of my marriage I will PIF it to my dad as he would have a ball in Tabactober I can assure you.

So I will be here for the rest of the month making it 30/31 just as I did last month. And the month before. And the month before…and…you get the idea!

Onwards as my Head Master would say!
At least we can say you are consistent :lol:

Day 4, 12.9% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.68 SB, Al Handle, Astra SS #1
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

Decided to try an Astra Blue (SS) again. "Corked" it, and used the mild Game Changer. The result was OK, a reasonably comfortable DFS+. I think corking helped with the "not quite as smooth as I'd like, sharper than I need" impression that these give on the first shave.

Date:05.10.2022
Focused participations:05/31 Days in GRUME (out at 13%, but no subsequent purchases)
278/278 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
05/31 OCtober
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Shave of the Week Society (on hold)
Tabactober
Razor:Fatip Piccolo Special Edition
Blade:King C Gillette (24)
Brush:Razorock Plissoft 400
Soap:Tabac (tallow)
Bowl:Kox Enamel
Preshave:Cold splash
Proraso Green preshave
Postshave:Cold face wash
KCG Face wash
Passes:WTG (Gillette Slant) | XTG (Gillette Slide) | ATG (usual)
Efficiency:9/10 (~15 minutes)
Quality:10/10 (Clean as a whistle)
Comfort:10/10 (GlideFest)
Effectiveness:10/10 (BBS+)

Next OC in my rotation is my first OC I bought in the beginning of this year - the Fatip Special Edition. Plating is starting to disappear, but when it comes to shaving this is a remarkable little razor. I am absolutely in love with it. The blade performed as if fresh out of the wrapper on a for me unprecedented 24th run.

Loading my brush took maybe 5 seconds or so to produce a very fine face lather. Thick yet never dry, smooth and the post effect very slicky. And I get what @Jack Goossen mentioned this morning about the scent and it triggering something inside my brain. I cannot put my finger on it, but once lathered it is nothing like straight from the puck - at least not for me.

And combining end result was amazing. I was buttery smooth all over with an excellent post shave feel. And so my maiden shave with Tabac is in the books. And I must say that it was everything others raved about and a big thank you therefore to specifically @JAHE for his persistence in me wanting to try this soap. Was it worth breaking GRUME for? #onnodig I have been told yesterday. Was it fun to do? Yes, it was and I was surprised by the results. Just as surprised as I was when I first used an open comb.

Ponderings on today's shave can be found here: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11955270

Have a great day everyone!

linty1

My wallet cries.
thumbnail_IMG_0574.jpg

Gruming gruming. Will try and swap this blade out for a schick blade for my next shave just to compare how they feel. Hopefully it fits, otherwise I don't really know what to do with this pack of blades. The Arko is performing well, honestly don't even notice scent, which isn't offensive regardless.

Still in and content with what I have. Haven't posted lately, so in summary:

I have used my Twig, Game Changer 68 SB, and Fusion razors thus far in October. Constants have been soap/cream with some combination of Proraso Green soap and/or Stephan Conditioning Cream. Rotating my two boar brushes happily and different aftershaves every day. Personna Lab Blue, Feather and Fusion5 blades. The Feather blade in the Twig has been particularly good.

It's been a very busy time with work and my toddler granddaughter visiting. So, shaves have been quick, utilitarian, but effective and enjoyable.

Best wishes to all to remain in restraint!

Last edited:
Still in. First BBS shave ever!
3 passes: N-S, S-N and then fully against the grain...also a first!
20221005_095814.jpg

Gamechanger .68
Nacet(1)
WTP green lathered on the puck with a RR Amici brush.
I really like the smaller brush.
Never tried just lathering right on the soap. Probably wasteful but really worked out well.

Top Bottom