What's new

October 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in.
Pretty tired this morning so 2 passes...maybe more like 1.5.
Still better then the old electric ever gave with less irritation.
Henson al13+
Nacet(4)
RR WTP Green
Goodfellas smile "The Hog" boar; halfway broken in.
Brut and Nivea cool.
Probably not gonna make the month, decided lastnight that I REALLY want to search out my birthyear razor!

Still in!
IMG_20221003_113619.jpg

Tallowbactober, GRUME and SWS, Day 3
A Tabacorific Shave

PXL_20221003_143933552.PORTRAIT.jpg

Rockwell 6S, plate 4
Astra Platinum (4)
Semogue 830
Tabac Original

Hey Guys
Today's shave was excellent! I think it was a combination of extended prep time, a (relatively) new blade, a very nice and slick lather and improved technique. Yesterday, I mentioned I would reverse the shaving angle order today. On the first pass, I more-so rode the guard-boy was it smooth. On the 2nd and 3rd passes, I more-so rode the cap-also excellent results. The Rockwell may be so forgiving and have a larger tolerance range than other razors.

Today, I pre-soaked just the tips of the boar brush for about a minute. This gets me a better lather than soaking a larger portion of the knot. Using this technique and mixing in a bowl, produces some of the best lathers I have ever created.

First shave of the month, it was a Sunday morning shave. Obviuosly still in

GRUME 1 of 16
SOTM 1 of 16
Tabactober 1 of 16

Razor: Merkur 34 HD C
Blade: GSB
Soap: Tabac Tallow
Brush: Proraso Boar Professional
AS: Tabac

First time using this soap, slick. Dry skin day so the AS did not had much change to stand out other than for the smell. I had to apply a skin balm 30 minutes or so later

Oh well there is always tomorrow

Restraint is different from not buying at all. Our definition is have what you need and enjoy what you have. Your soap fits the idea of having what you need - because otherwise how would you ever try out a new soap?! After 3017-ing everything you have first? Then the second part comes into play - suppose you do (3017 everything and not buy a new soap), would you enjoy what you have? I am guessing not. Same for blades albeit less so.

And not the same for razors - those will put you out of GRUME. Period. GRUME is restraining yourself from buying too much stuff in one go and never use it or get round to using it. About refraining from spending just to be spending.

At least that’s my 2ct. And I would plee to have you reconsider.

Guido
Wouldn’t that be a broken razor that needs repairing. I mean if you are referring to the statement that razor will put you out, that was meant for new and newly acquired razors.

Just trying…
:blush:

Guido
Your interpretation of restraint and mine are different. For me, it's a matter of buying for need, in a relatively strict sense.

The Lupo doesn't have a base plate, but (1) that's unusable rather than broken, and the distinction doesn't really matter as (2) I'm quite sure that BJM has enough other options available so that he's able to shave. If not, then sure, he can buy a razor (or part) so that he can shave.

Similarly, having more than one (usable) soap means that you don't need to make a purchase. If you're down to your last soap, buying a couple (or few, within reason) during the restock makes sense, as they will be needed in the near future. And if you somehow get down to nearly the end of your current, last soap, and you're probably - or definitely - not going to make it to the end of the month, you can buy then.

Think of GRUME as a very slow and flexible process of 3017ing everything you have. :)

Just a little clean-up and CWCID. :)

1) FoolishMortal - SOTMC - Tabactober
2) Markdad2
3) FL shaver
4) Balin - SOTMC - Tabactober
5) Tjsgarden - Tabactober - SWS
6) LJBraaten
7) Multum in parvo - Tabactober - OCtober
8) elmo_koffman
9) Jack Goossen
10) Dotii B
11) linty1 (30/31)
12) kjbarth - GRUYERE
13) Kyle89
14) sarir97
15) Guido75
16) Sandorfi - SOTMC - Tabactober
17) cryhavoc
18) SharpieB
19) La Malice - SOTMC - Tabactober
20) Jayson74
21) hopper_64 - Tabactober - OCtober
22) Trollky
23) Cantujm
24) JaggardJ
25) lasta - Tabactober
26) Chef455
27) Dodger59
28) ChriWilson SOTMC - Tabactober - SWS
29) bjm
30) Roedeer
31) Iver
32) 1Pet5_8

Day 3, 9.7% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 OC, Ti Handle, Nacet #5
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #5
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

Same again, for a good near-BBS.

Shoot, I am out. Last month I traded some Cella and 15 bucks for a few soaps. Noble Otter Rawr, Neon Sun, A&E Little Fictions, and DG Weinstrasse he threw in for free. Most of these soaps only had a scoop taken out. He wanted to throw in the AS for Neon Sun when we made the deal, but I wasn't sure without smelling it. After receiving the soap, and the free DG I thanked him and asked me if I wanted the AS for them he would send them if I paid shipping. I went for it. Maybe next month will be my month! Have a great evening.

lasta

Blade Biter
Shoot, I am out. Last month I traded some Cella and 15 bucks for a few soaps. Noble Otter Rawr, Neon Sun, A&E Little Fictions, and DG Weinstrasse he threw in for free. Most of these soaps only had a scoop taken out. He wanted to throw in the AS for Neon Sun when we made the deal, but I wasn't sure without smelling it. After receiving the soap, and the free DG I thanked him and asked me if I wanted the AS for them he would send them if I paid shipping. I went for it. Maybe next month will be my month! Have a great evening.
Goods for goods transactions are not against GRUME. Think of the $15 as a tip, not a purchase.

So good to say “still in” again! I used a lighter touch today and no damage ensued. I also seem to still have the lather dialed in. I was under time pressure again, I might have been able to get a BBS today (I coulda been a contender!).
This repeat is post #3 of a threefer; Micromatic Monday, OCtober, and the October GRUME. I had a great shave with my Micromatic Open Comb (thanks again @Tanuki!). Mike’s Natural Soap again, and my usual badger in an Ever-Ready 200 handle. The RIGS Shim {tm}* tamed the MMOC beast and I got a quick DFS without any irritation. Yesterday’s weeper was staring at me and threatening to appear, but it stayed subdued.

*Ron’s Improvised Gem Spine Shim
( @Ron R)

Attachments​

Last edited:
Top Bottom