What's new

October 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

1) FoolishMortal
2) Markdad2
3) FL shaver
4) Balin maybe SOTM Tabactober
5) Tjsgarden - Tabactober-SWS
6) LJBraaten
7) Multum in parvo - Tabactober/OCtober
8) JAHE - Tabactober
9) Jack Goossen
10) Dotii B
11) linty1 (30/31)
12) kjbarth - GRUYERE
13) Kyle89
14) sarir97
15) Guido75
16) Sandorfi (SOTM-Tabactober)
17) cryhavoc
18) SharpieB
19) La Malice (SOTM / Tallowbac & Tabaftershave at least for must of the month for the AS )
20) Jayson74
21) hopper_64 - Tabactober/OCtober
22) Trollky
23) Cantujm
24) JaggardJ
25) lasta (Tabactober)
26) @Chef455
27) Dodger59
28) ChriWilson SOTM - Tabactober - SMS
29)

Added next months events.

There is an auction that I intend to bid on that closes this evening (1/10) my time, but as it isn't a restock I can't justify it. So, rather than stating a intention to join you for this month, and failing immediately, I will wish you all good luck and see you in November.

May your shaves be close and your wallets tight! :)

There is an auction that I intend to bid on that closes this evening (1/10) my time, but as it isn't a restock I can't justify it. So, rather than stating a intention to join you for this month, and failing immediately, I will wish you all good luck and see you in November.

May your shaves be close and your wallets tight! :)
I admire your integrity. Make no mistake, I'm being totally selfish here... the final decision is yours, but October 1st is the restock day and I plan to make a purchase that is technically not a "restock" item since I don't have one already.

I hope you reconsider. Not so much for you but it would make me feel better about adding my name to the roster :cool:

I'm in

1) FoolishMortal
2) Markdad2
3) FL shaver
6) LJBraaten
8) JAHE - Tabactober
9) Jack Goossen
10) Dotii B
11) linty1 (30/31)
12) kjbarth - GRUYERE
13) Kyle89
14) sarir97
15) Guido75
17) cryhavoc
18) SharpieB
19) La Malice (SOTM / Tallowbac & Tabaftershave at least for must of the month for the AS )
20) Jayson74
22) Trollky
23) Cantujm
24) JaggardJ
25) lasta (Tabactober)
26) Chef455
27) Dodger59
29)
elmo_koffman

Buying a seventh straight doesn't really fit within the bounds of "restock". I'm fine with that, I'd rather purchase it guilt free and then rejoin the fellowship of the GRUME next month than begin the month with a new razor and a heavy heart. 🙂
You have a very fair point here.
Your argument gave me reason for thought.

Earlier this week I already had decided to make a purchase on October 1st (a soap/splash set I was lusting for for quite some time...).

But if I'm honest to myself this upcoming purchase doesn’t qualify as a "restock" item. It's a "want to have" product. Not a "needed one".

This is why I've decided with a heavy heart to withdraw my participation.

I've relocated @elmo_koffman
into the open space on the list which my withdrawal caused...

1) FoolishMortal
2) Markdad2
3) FL shaver
6) LJBraaten
8) elmo_koffman
9) Jack Goossen
10) Dotii B
11) linty1 (30/31)
12) kjbarth - GRUYERE
13) Kyle89
14) sarir97
15) Guido75
17) cryhavoc
18) SharpieB
20) Jayson74
22) Trollky
23) Cantujm
24) JaggardJ
25) lasta (Tabactober)
26) Chef455
27) Dodger59
29)

Looking forward to joining in in November GRUME again.
I'm going to miss you, comrades!

Cheers
Guido

You have a very fair point here.
Your argument gave me reason for thought.

Earlier this week I already had decided to make a purchase on October 1st (a soap/splash set I was lusting for for quite some time...).

But if I'm honest to myself this upcoming purchase doesn’t qualify as a "restock" item. It's a "want to have" product. Not a "needed one".

This is why I've decided with a heavy heart to withdraw my participation.

I've relocated @elmo_koffman
into the open space on the list which my withdrawal caused...

1) FoolishMortal
2) Markdad2
3) FL shaver
6) LJBraaten
8) elmo_koffman
9) Jack Goossen
10) Dotii B
11) linty1 (30/31)
12) kjbarth - GRUYERE
13) Kyle89
14) sarir97
15) Guido75
17) cryhavoc
18) SharpieB
20) Jayson74
22) Trollky
23) Cantujm
24) JaggardJ
25) lasta (Tabactober)
26) Chef455
27) Dodger59
29)

Looking forward to joining in in November GRUME again.
I'm going to miss you, comrades!

Cheers
Guido
Don't be a stranger!! November isn't that far away!!

Restraint is different from not buying at all. Our definition is have what you need and enjoy what you have. Your soap fits the idea of having what you need - because otherwise how would you ever try out a new soap?! After 3017-ing everything you have first? Then the second part comes into play - suppose you do (3017 everything and not buy a new soap), would you enjoy what you have? I am guessing not. Same for blades albeit less so.

And not the same for razors - those will put you out of GRUME. Period. GRUME is restraining yourself from buying too much stuff in one go and never use it or get round to using it. About refraining from spending just to be spending.

At least that’s my 2ct. And I would plee to have you reconsider.

Guido

I'm in...

1) FoolishMortal
2) Markdad2
3) FL shaver
6) LJBraaten
8) elmo_koffman
9) Jack Goossen
10) Dotii B
11) linty1 (30/31)
12) kjbarth - GRUYERE
13) Kyle89
14) sarir97
15) Guido75
17) cryhavoc
18) SharpieB
20) Jayson74
22) Trollky
23) Cantujm
24) JaggardJ
25) lasta (Tabactober)
26) Chef455
27) Dodger59
29) bjm

I had planned to purchase a Lupo base plate during the restock period to go with my Lupo cap but apparently razors can't be restocked. So for now I have a Lupo cap, handle, and no base plate. Rest assured I do NOT enjoy using the razor.

I was tempted to skip the October GRUME and just buy the plate, but every shave with the razor would have been met with resentment. So, here I am in an effort to keep my GRUME streak going for a little while longer.

I'm not sure whether I'm going to behave myself in October or not. Still mildly curious about Lupos, but getting very good results out of the GC.84P, so any performance improvement is likely to be marginal.

I'll sign up, in the hope that common sense will prevail.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Markdad2
3) FL shaver
6) LJBraaten
8) elmo_koffman
9) Jack Goossen
10) Dotii B
11) linty1 (30/31)
12) kjbarth - GRUYERE
13) Kyle89
14) sarir97
15) Guido75
17) cryhavoc
18) SharpieB
20) Jayson74
22) Trollky
23) Cantujm
24) JaggardJ
25) lasta (Tabactober)
26) Chef455
27) Dodger59
29) bjm
30) Roedeer
31)

So for now I have a Lupo cap, handle, and no base plate

That sounds a bit frustrating, either way!

Trades are allowed, so you might be able to get a base-plate without buying one.

during the restock period to go with my Lupo cap but apparently razors can't be restocked.
Wouldn’t that be a broken razor that needs repairing. I mean if you are referring to the statement that razor will put you out, that was meant for new and newly acquired razors.

Just trying…:blush:

Guido

Last edited:
Tabactober GRUME and SWS
Day 1

PXL_20221001_054317527.PORTRAIT.jpg

Rockwell 6S
Astra Platinum (1)
Tallowbac
Brushworx G5C knot

Hey Guys
A new month and my first participation in Tabactober, 4th GRUME and second week in the Shave of the Week Society.
Life is Good!
A new blade, Tabac and plate 4 on the Rockwell made DFS+ easy. This combo works good. The lather was slick and did not dry out for three passes. In SWS, I will switch razors every Saturday. Brush
selection may change daily. It was nice to use a new blade for a change.

I look forward to new and old acquaintances posting on all three threads.

Restraint is different from not buying at all. Our definition is have what you need and enjoy what you have. Your soap fits the idea of having what you need - because otherwise how would you ever try out a new soap?! After 3017-ing everything you have first? Then the second part comes into play - suppose you do (3017 everything and not buy a new soap), would you enjoy what you have? I am guessing not. Same for blades albeit less so.

And not the same for razors - those will put you out of GRUME. Period. GRUME is restraining yourself from buying too much stuff in one go and never use it or get round to using it. About refraining from spending just to be spending.

At least that’s my 2ct. And I would plee to have you reconsider.

Guido
Thanks, Guido, appreciate your feedback.

Whilst I don't intend to do a "threewhale order", there is no element in my order which contains any sort of need. I have quite some stash of soap in my den (and I enjoy every single tub). But still my order wouldn't comply with rule 1a.

After valueing the arguments my very personal take on this for the future is: if I feel a strong need to try something new (no matter if it is a tub of soap, blades, a brush or a razor) I'll have to give GRUME a short break.
At least, this approach will make me reconsider carefully if I really want to place the order (read: is the order really worth it to overcome the "hurdle" of stepping out of GRUME, which has become an event which I really value high and enjoy wholeheartly).

I'll drop by regularly here and I'm going to support the spirit of my comrade's efforts to make it through the month successfully!

Cheers!
Guido

Last edited:
Date:01.10.2022
Focused participations:01/31 Days in GRUME
274/274 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
01/31 OCtober
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Shave of the Week Society (on hold)
Razor:Mühle R41
Blade:Dorco ST300HQ (7)
Brush:Omega Proraso
Soap:Dutchy Bergamot
Bowl:Kox Enamel
Preshave:Cold splash
Proraso Green preshave
Postshave:Cold face wash
Chanel Allure (Balm)
Passes:WTG | XTG | ATG
Efficiency:8/10 (20 minutes)
Quality:8/10 (two minor weepers)
Comfort:9/10 (super smooth)
Effectiveness:9/10 (BBS)

Starting OCtober with the staple of open comb razors - the R41. And boy did it deliver. Two passes and I was smooth. Was using the third pass as toch up on the jaw line at first but decided to make it a full pass to get to the marble finish this razor is so renowned for. Not all bits are as marble, so 9/10 for that one. Using the excellent soap the razor was very smooth. I had the sense the blade might be over its top, but not entirely sure - although the two weepers are a giveaway. Brush lost two hairs again today and returned to its previous behaviour of sucking up my lather for the second and third pass. Hmm..

And starting with a clean slate for GRUME. No purchases since the NEW LC and I don’t need to restock on anything either. Had a lingering want to be part of Tabactober but since I don’t have a puck of Tabac (WHAT??! Yes there are still shavers out there without!) I have to forfeit that want (that and LOTH doesn’t take Tabac very well scent-wise. She tolerates Bergamot and prefers Proraso).

35263C9A-B558-450E-B6EB-BC6266B8720D.jpeg

Top Bottom