What's new

OCtober 2021

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
R41 Frankenrazor

2021-10-31 12.41.01.jpg

Oct 29th: OC Shave #23 of 24 for the month

Timeless 95 OC SS / Rapira Plat Lux (5th)
Stirling Electric Sheep / 30mm Tuxedo
Halston Z14 AS
Nivea Post-Shave Balm
Halston Z14 Cologne/EDT

Oct 30th: OC Shave #24 of 25 for the month

Timeless 95 OC SS / Rapira Plat Lux (5th)
Stirling Green / 30mm Tuxedp
Stirling Green AS
Nivea Post-Shave Balm
Stirling Green Cologne/EDT

Oct 31
Razor: RR GC .84 OC
Blade: Perma-sharp
Brush: Semogue
Soap: B&M Seville
A/S: B&M Seville

Something went horribly wrong today. I had been working on my son's car. Needed a shower after so decided on an afternoon shave. Same razor I have used many times without issue. Same soap. Same blade. Maybe I had some pent up frustration after working on the car. Maybe it was a Halloween thing. It wasn't the beer because I had just opened my first one. I don't know but it was a blood fest. Scalped up my neck. Pink shaving cream in the sink. The alum block made my eyes bulge out! Lost of cold water and Seville balm got things to simmer down but I am sure I will be paying the price for a couple of days. In the end, it was a BBS for sure but at a steep price. Anyway, really enjoyed OCtober as always. Lots of great hardware photos by the group. Big thanks to all that helped put this on and all that participated. I got lazy and did not use as many OCs this year. Maybe I can dig up something different for next year. Of the razors I used this month, the Old Type stood out as the best of the lot. The R41 produced the longest lasting shave (no surprise there). The .68 OC was much smoother than I remembered. The New LC was great as always. Until today, the RR .84 OC had been producing great shaves. Stay safe and great shaves to all.

Halloween shave: Monster Mash or Mostochglemash
NEW SC
Rapira Platinum
Em’s place glycerin soap

Had 2.5 day growth and didn’t seem to be plowing through it on first pass. Maybe I let my guard down because I ended with a few cuts that took longer to stop weeping than usual (but not bad). Out trick or treating in cold, so didn’t notice any lingering burn, but I’ve had better shaves. Could be my skin condition or I could have gotten lazy from the teflon coating on the last blade from Mostochglemash. Can tell the next shave will be better.
Happy OCtober everyone!

OCtober Shave 30

Gillette NEW Long Comb
Gillette Nacet (6)
Semogue beechwood handle boar brush
Soap Commander Integrity
Cold water to finish

So how did this month go? I love my open comb razors and this month confirmed that. Most of the shaves were pretty effortless. I shaved with five razors, a thin-cap Old Type, a Fatip Piccolo, a NEW Short Comb, a NEW Long Comb, and a thick-cap Old Type. I guess the winner was the Short Comb, though it was pretty close. The Long Comb was more comfortable but just a tad bit less close. The biggest surprise was the Thick Cap Old Type. That razor delivered shaves on par with the NEWs. The Fatip shaved about like it always does. The only disappointment was that I didn't get many comfortable shaves with the Thin Cap OT. As I have been mightily impressed with this razor before I assume I have to dial in my technique to work with this one.

OCtober is always an enjoyable month of shaves! Thanks to @Flintstone65 and all who participated! I love the pictures and I have serious lust for some of your razors!

Sunday 31st OCtober.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Vulfix Simpson small synthetic
Razor: GC.68 OC, Astra SP #2
Post-shave: Nivea Balm, Hyaluronic Acid.

Went for the basic WTG and XTG on my face, WTG on my neck, and got a surprisingly close, irritation-free result.

Final shave of an enjoyable OCtober. The Game Changer .68 open comb is currently my favourite razor. It's as comfortable as the safety bar version, and more efficient.

Thanks to @Flintstone65 for organizing another great OCtober! Thanks to all who participated. I really had a blast using all my open combs. I am just missing & longing for the only 1 open comb...a Karve!😆

It has been a great OCtober 2021! Hope to see everyone again in OCtober 2022.

Meantime, perhaps @Flintstone65 could organize AdjustableApril?? Seems like many of us have various adjustable razors as well...I would love to use all my adjustable in a month to show some love...

Late recording the last shave of OCtober:

Gillette Sheraton
Wizamet Iridium Super (9)
Proraso shave foam
Witch Hazel

I had to shave quickly and used canned foam rather than rush the shaving part. Proraso delivered.

What a great Open Comb October! Participation was great, photos were stunning, insights were illuminating. I didn't get to use my favorite OC razors, but that wasn't the goal. The goal was to use OCs I have failed to use sufficiently in the past, or correctly, and therefore didn't have the respect for them they deserved. This year, focus was on the Gillette Old Types and I have to say I succeeded.

Anyone else come away with lessons learned?

OCtober Shave 30

Gillette NEW Long Comb
Gillette Nacet (6)
Semogue beechwood handle boar brush
Soap Commander Integrity
Cold water to finish

So how did this month go? I love my open comb razors and this month confirmed that. Most of the shaves were pretty effortless. I shaved with five razors, a thin-cap Old Type, a Fatip Piccolo, a NEW Short Comb, a NEW Long Comb, and a thick-cap Old Type. I guess the winner was the Short Comb, though it was pretty close. The Long Comb was more comfortable but just a tad bit less close. The biggest surprise was the Thick Cap Old Type. That razor delivered shaves on par with the NEWs. The Fatip shaved about like it always does. The only disappointment was that I didn't get many comfortable shaves with the Thin Cap OT. As I have been mightily impressed with this razor before I assume I have to dial in my technique to work with this one.

OCtober is always an enjoyable month of shaves! Thanks to @Flintstone65 and all who participated! I love the pictures and I have serious lust for some of your razors!

Thanks for the summary review! Those are all top OCs for me, so it is great to get an outside opinion, well-informed by a focused OCtober.

Final shave for OCtober.

Last night, I had shave #39 with blade #2 of the vintage Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was held in place with a Fatip Open Comb Grande in gold that I bought off the BST. I'm getting a little more used to the Grande, now, but I'll probably still need a couple more shaves before it's as comfortable as the Piccolo.

I used Tabac (tallow) shaving soap and made a good slick and cushiony lather with it.

Prior to the shave, I showered with warm water and also used warm water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. After shaking my brush to remove some water, I picked up the soap puck in my left hand and swirled my brush across it for 45 seconds before scooping up the protolather and transferring it to my Captain's Choice Seaworthy lather bowl. What I couldn't remove from my hands, I rubbed on my face.

Next, I rinsed the remaining protolather off my fingers with some tap water and collected the soapy water in an empty cup. I then picked up my brush and began to stir it in the lather bowl while gradually adding some of the soapy water to make my lather. When my lather looked shave-ready, I applied a little of the soapy water to my face by hand before each lather pass.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. This shave was smoother and had less blade feel than my last shave. However, it was still not quite as smooth as with the Piccolo and the blade feel was still greater than that of my shaves with the Piccolo. Also, I wound up having to buff a little more than with any of my shaves with the Piccolo (or even my last shave). Still, I managed a BBS without cutting myself.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Stirling Spice) and aftershave balm (Van der Hagen Post Shave Soothing Balm). As with my shaves with my Piccolo, I felt no sting from the alum block though I felt a bit of sting from the alcohol in the splash, though.

This was my seventh time using the VDH balm. Again, I used a little less than pea sized amount of the balm and got a better skin feel (i.e., less "heavy"/greasy) but still perspired a bit more on areas of my face to which I applied the balm than areas without the balm.

All in all, I would also give this shave a 98.5/100.

1B52517A-E67A-4857-A41C-6734A0D780E4.jpeg

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Late post
1BCBE19F-3666-4FA7-9B13-31F2D423C9FC.jpeg

A few select favorites to round out OCtober:
Gillette New Improved
Rudy Vey Captain America Two-band badger
Long Rifle Voyageur
Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve

It was my first time going through OCtober and I’m glad I did. Open combs definitely have a great cool factor. I’m bummed that the Gillette Senator didn’t work out. Upon closer inspection, it appears my particular example has a bent head, which likely explains the extremely rough shaves. So hopefully someone doesn’t read my posts and get the wrong idea about that razor.

I enjoyed seeing everyone’s OCtober shaves. Lots of inspiration. Thanks again and see y’all next year.

Top Bottom