What's new

OCtober 2021

1921 Gillette New Improved / KCG (6) / ProRaso Red / OS splash -- yesterday's GEM 1912 shave was really still holding up, and I debated about taking the day off. I considered an ER Lather Catcher, but then noticed the NI still had a KCG chambered, so I went lazy and grabbed it and the ProRaso Red sample in an OS mug (realized sample is nearly gone, which leaves me with only 3 soaps active in the rotation). I have two pucks of Williams in the freezer intending to grate down to make a shave stick but life is getting in the way (I might mix a little bit of VDH Luxury in with it to boost the lather ability). I also picked up two pucks of vintage Colgate a couple weeks ago that I haven't tried yet, so I have soap, just not actively using. The NI continues to impress me with how rigidly it holds the blade and gives SE level shave quality with a DE blade.

20211017_165406-01-01.jpeg
SOTD #256/2021
21-10-2021

>> SOCTOBER / OCtober <<

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Mistura Cherry wood handle
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Triumph
Razor: Razorock Gamechanger 0.84 OC Jaws
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (1)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap ~ Triumph AS, Neutrogena Hydro Boost Aqua Creme.

Nice shave today. 3 passes, BBS on the face and a very dfs on the neck. Unfortunately I caught some minor redness but the skin irritation didn't last too long. The RPL is a very smooth blade, maybe I unintentionally add too much pressure. The good thing is the JAWS didn't bite me though.

Happy shaves, y'all!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Gillette New Type SC
Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super (4)
Brush: Omega Evo
Soap: SV 70th Anniversary Special Edition
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green
Post Shave: InstaSkincare Hyularonic Acid
Aftershave: SV 70th Anniversary Special Edition (Splash)
014_20.jpg

One more shave and I'm done. I've really been enjoying the New SC. My shaves have been bbs with a dfs on my neck area. I've actually improved the dfs standing on my neck area. I have been doing a wtg and atg two pass on my lower neck. It's not a huge improvement from what it was, but it feels nicer. It's something only I would notice.

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Gillette New Type SC
Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super (4)
Brush: Omega Evo
Soap: SV 70th Anniversary Special Edition
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green
Post Shave: InstaSkincare Hyularonic Acid
Aftershave: SV 70th Anniversary Special Edition (Splash)
View attachment 1349535
One more shave and I'm done. I've really been enjoying the New SC. My shaves have been bbs with a dfs on my neck area. I've actually improved the dfs standing on my neck area. I have been doing a wtg and atg two pass on my lower neck. It's not a huge improvement from what it was, but it feels nicer. It's something only I would notice.
I need to play with my New SC a bit more. The shaves haven't been as satisfactory as I'd like. Tomorrow I am going to run the New De Luxe again, then maybe side by side for the next week. I have played with the angle quite a bit. I guess I should also try a shallow angle, I know for a time @Esox shaved shallow. I tried starting ATG but, that did not improve the results.

Last edited:
OCtober

EA9DD2D5-CCAB-4E76-B6C9-ED5955A03FCF.jpeg

Pre-shave: Proraso White
Razor: Yaqi DOC
Blade: Lord Super Chrome (11)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Brush: Ever Ready 500T
Soap: Pre de Provence
Balm: Tabac
Aftershave: Bootleggers Lime Bay Rum

I had some problems today:
1. I didn’t load this small brush sufficiently. Absolutely no lather left in the bowl after 3 passes.
2. The blade seems to have dulled.

Nevertheless, no injuries.

I’ll give it one more use tomorrow trying to use better technique. If the blade is still not feeling sharp enough I’ll switch it out.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I need to play with my New SC a bit more. The shavrmes haven't been as satisfactory as I'd like. Tomorrow I am going to run the New De Luxe again, then maybe side by side for the next week. I have played with the angle quite a bit. I guess I should also try a shallow angle, I know for a time @Esox shaved shallow. I tried starting ATG but, that did not improve the results.
I always thought Mike was a bit "touched" starting ATG. On the other hand only he can pull that off. From what I gather he does it blade buffing all the way.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
4C57BAB9-6B45-4123-B1D4-1B055E0EA6D9.jpeg

Gillette New Improved
Rudy Vey “Captain America”
Stirling Varen soap and splash

It occurred to me after putting this group together that the Captain America works pretty good with the Dutch flags on the Varen, so for this shave it’s Captain Holland. Top tier hardware and software all around. Needless to say, it was an awesome shave!

Oct 21
Razor: Gillette Old Type
Blade: 7 O'clock sharp edge
Brush: Semogue
Soap: Arko
A/S: Ice Blue Aqua Velva

The Old Type provided a great shave today! Three passes no issues. Very close to BBS. I really enjoy this razor. The Arko got away from me. The Semogue built more lather than I could use. Amazing soap.

Top Bottom