What's new

OCtober 2021

OCt 18 second shave (late afternoon)

>Probak / GSB (8)
>Karve OC-D, same blade to clean up the trouble spots when the Probak seemed too mild
>Semogue SOC boar
>Tabac stick
>Florida Limeade badger blend - grasping at a summer vibe
View attachment 1348089
View attachment 1348090
The writing on the underside of the Probak guard is great. Looks like they had a real eye for design. The handle's nicer than a Gillette ball end too; is that original?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Gillette New Type SC
Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super (2)
Brush: Omega Evo
Soap: SV 70th Anniversary Special Edition
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green
Post Shave: InstaSkincare Hyularonic Acid
Aftershave: SV 70th Anniversary Special Edition (Splash)
012_20.jpg

I can tell this week is going to go good. Everything I know is wrong about the Old Type being better than the New SC. I've always been against gap and pro exposure. I'm quite enjoying the gap on this little razor. The blade is always there when you need it. You don't have to search to far. It really helps when shaving under my nose. The SV soap was wonderful if not just a tad dry. I knew I should have dipped the tips of the brush one more time. It was still serviceable. It just wasn't at my sweet spot. I used a lot less of the SV splash, brilliant! Happy shaves!

Valet Auto Strop VC2 / vintage Auto Strop blade (1) / Cella w/vintage Fuller Best Badger knot / AV splash -- recently picked up this VC2 and a VC3 that require the blade punch outs. The only blades I have to fit are some vintage blades, so figured I'd go ahead and give the blade a stropping before using... ARGHHHH! my fault, I should have done a trial run on the razor stropping mechanism before inserting the blade to make sure it worked smoothly, but I didn't. The first lap went well enough (the blade didn't flip quickly on the first return trip, leaving the blade standing upright before coming to rest on the strop, but when I went to start the second lap, it didn't rotate at all and I put a big slice in the OEM strop. It's at the end, and I can super glue it back down (it's not through thankfully) and it's in an area that won't affect stropping action, but I'm still pissed at myself. The shave wasn't as comfortable as a GEM PTFE, and it took a bit more care, but I got a CCS and nearly zero burn from the AV so I must not have done too bad. I'll give the VC3 a try with this blade and use it up in these two or the other Auto Strops and spring for some Feather blades to fit -- other than Try a Blade or Amazon (I haven't looked yet), has anyone else found a good source for the Auto Strop Feather blades?
VC2 Shave.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, OCtober 19th, 2021 Valet Auto-stop C 1, MFG 1920's- .011 original gap clearance to a .007 blade gap Henry,Jacques...jpg Henry Gaisman who controlled Valet Auto-strop also controlled Gillette Mfg in the 1930's over a patent dispute, also a person who invented and had 100's of patents on his creations.

Razor: Valet auto-strop, C1 mode, Canadian variant- Mfg 1920's, modified blade gab from 11/1000 to 7/1000 of a inch to smooth the shave with the Gem Personna SS PTFE, great shaves, interesting and well built for its day, blade keepers are the weakest point of the whole razor. 100's of thousands of these razors where sold world wide.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(2) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap: Ogallala Bayrum with sandal wood-nice bayrum scent with a some clove + good lather qualities. I load from bowl and apply drier and add a little water as needed seems to work.
Brush: Yaqi 22mm 2band badger, excellent lather generator, soft pillow like tips, excellent scrubber + good lather painter. It is designed more for a good scrubber this model IMO.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Witch hazel, Ogallala Bayrum with Sandal wood + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizer balm.(scentless)
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:Excellent shave with my Valet auto-strop with a coated gem blade.
SOTD, Oct 19, 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Oct 19th: OC Shave #14 of 14 for the month

R41 Clone / Rapira Plat Lux (2nd)
Dove +Men Pre-Shave
Stirling Electric Sheep / RR 26mm Monster
Mentholated Witch Hazel (Lightly scented w/Old Spice Oil)
Nivea Calming Post-Shave
Halston Z14 Cologne

Results: Another super close BBS shave, although less than 24 hours of growth, perhaps a little overkill.

20211017_174409-01.jpeg
SOTD #255/2021
19-10-2021

>> TALLOW TABAC TUESDAYS/ SOCTOBER / OCtober / TABACTOBER <<

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Premium Boar
Soap: Mäurer & Wirtz ~ Tabac
Razor: Above The Tie OC S2-plate
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (4)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Mäurer & Wirtz ~ Tabac ASL, Neutrogena Hydro Boost Aqua Creme.

Happy shaves!

OCtober Shave 18

WE INTERRUPT THIS SEQUENCE TO BRING YOU SOMETHING NEW!!!

Durham Duplex razor
Stanley Carpet Cutter blade
Semogue beechwood handle boar brush
Soap Commander Integrity
Cold water to finish

Durham Duplex 20211019_202530.jpg

So, I dragged out the Durham Duplex. I previously tried a N.O.S. Durham blade and found its edge wasn't good. I read that there was a carpet cutter blade that would fit so I ran to the home improvement store and bought a pack. As you can see the Stanley blade, on the left, has a different grind than the Durham blade, on the right.

Shaving with it today I got a BAS...Barely Acceptable Shave. It tugged like hell and wasn't very close. Clearly these blades aren't made for shaving! I may try honing one or the other at some point just to see if anything improves.

OCt 19 - connoisseur shave (if that means self-indulgent)

Prep:
Juniper soap / SOC boar
Shave lather:
BOSC Special Reserve CLW / Tanuki-turned black walnut boar
E6DF65B1-4178-4DA2-9887-1BD273AE7329.jpeg
Stubble reduction: Rasoir Sabre France 'Der Kayser'
Smooth finish: ATT R2/Geisen&Forstoff handle/Rapira Platinum Lux (1)
After: Captain's Choice Bay Rum - the real deal

856C48EA-7618-40B6-B035-C4062881D5BB.jpeg

Top Bottom