What's new

OCtober 2021

October 14
Fatip Gold Grande/Bic Chrome Platinum/single use
Saponificio Varesino Tundra Artica
Zenith B-27 Chubby Scrubby Boar

This was going to be a Bic Chrome Platinum blade review. We are going to have to strap on first use and impressions of Saponificio Varesino Tundra Artica. My October 8 shave was a face & head ATG Single Pass BBS. Great comfort shave. There were less than a half dozen clean up buffing strokes required. A memorable shave. It was a seven day shave.
Advantage Bic. This is a six day shave. My last use of a Bic was over a year ago. It was a favourable and liked blade. At that time I found the Bic to be a tad smoother, and wee bit duller than the Feather.
I will also do a Bic on October 20 The Hunter’s Moon 🌝 To keep the howlers at bay Saponificio Varesino Cosmo will be used. It’ll be another first use and impression. Let’s do Tundra/Bic tonight and see what happens.

8B6C367E-DD2F-4949-B052-5B18A3E1A808.jpeg

Mitchell’s Wool Fat bath bar vs SV Tundra Artica bath bar

A night for first’s. Tonight’s pre shave shower. I have been using and evaluating a bar of MWF bath bar, I’m two thirds through the bar. I fully load a face towel and gently message and soap my face and head. I’ve only used MWF on face and head. Tundra Artica bath bar vs MWF bath bar. Same load was used for the Tundra. I used the Tundra on all other body parts sans face and head. The Tundra load produced ample soap the texture noticeably sudsier and creamier than MWF. I would say it easily produced three times more soap on the same load. Soaping arms and shoulders there was no doubt there would be a large difference in performance. They both rinse cleanly. They both leave a comfortable skin non oily or greasy feeling. SV skin comfort was above that of the MWF, by a considerable margin. MWF has a very pleasant clean mild soap fragrance. SV soaps are fragranced. The MWF remaining bar was reassigned to laundry tub soap duties. Should a SV bath bar at three times the cost outperform MWF? Yes it should and it did. I will be purchasing more SV bath bars.

Fragrance

I can not identify a muted Cinnamon bright note in the middle base structure of a fragrance. Whatever that means. I smell something and I like it or not. I like it a little or like it a lot. The Tundra and Cosmo I’ve purchased are quite a bit softer in scent compared to the Felec Aromatica. My favourite. I asked my wife to smell the bloom water on the Tundra. I got a smile and a thumbs up. Rare occurrence for me. The night is off to a good start.

Lathering

Dudes don’t need no stinking instructions. We know better. I decided to try the SV lathering instructions. I tried fitting the puck in a few bowls I like but decided to work out of the aluminium container It’s a good comfortable hand fit for me as well. The puck is loose in the container. I used my thumbs to knead the top edges of the puck snugly into the sides of the container. Less water can be used for the bloom. The triple milled soaps consistency is closer to a very stiff croap. Lightly covered the soap surface with hot water ten to fifteen minutes. Probably thirty minutes soak time on the boar hair. Fully hydrated. A medium hard squeeze removed all loose water. Poured all the bloom into the damp boar hair. Held the brush work side down a few drops of water exited. This was a wet brush. Settled in and worked the puck. In a short time the slick in the soap could be felt momentarily just before the brush created a hard suction. It felt like a sink plunger. Neat. I lightened up a few more swirls and painted the luxurious creamy lather on my face. The fourth SV shave as of late. I have not had to adjust the first three lathers but tonight’s was different. That wasn’t the soap performance. It was using a slow blade. I am ecstatic with the SV soaps.

Bic Chrome Platinum vs Feather

An apology first. I will not be shaving with this blade next week as promised. Comparing last weeks shave to this shave performance will tell the tale. The speed of the cut. Half way through the first ATG cheek stroke. It felt like someone had grabbed me by the back of the pants and slowed me down big time. If your stroke moves quicker than the blade will cut. The purchase of the apex will tug the hair, before it cuts through. It feels exactly like a cart blade. The Bic cut one third to half the speed I use with the Feather. Disappointment change the shave to a DFS. I completed the face ATG Single Pass shave. It was considerably slower and required more buffing than I wanted even to get to a DFS. Halfway through the face shave I decide to do a two pass head shave. WTG/ATG. Since both face and head shaves were slower than usual the lather required touch ups and adjustments. I do not think a BBS shave is superior to a DFS. Both face and head were very pleasant comfortable DFS shaves. I prefer a BBS.

I think the Bic Chrome Platinum is a decent blade. If I had to use them. I would use multi pass shaves to get to my BBS. I likely was pushing the blade harder mostly out of habit. The Grande is locked and loaded with a fresh Feather for next week. The Hunter’s Moon. I feel a howl coming on.

Halfway through the month. Thank you Gentlemen for all your enjoyable fine shaves.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Last night’s shave
RazoRock Hawk V3OC
Schick Proline P-Series (6)
Ω10048 boar brush
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Pre-shave: face rinse with shave binky
Pre-shave: refined shea butter
Lather: Stirling Naked and Smooth
Post-shave: alum block
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: hot shower
Post-shave: Stirling Glacial Unscented Post-shave Balm

@JoWolf , thank you for using the Bic blade and reporting on it. I’m sorry it didn’t work as well as a single use Feather.

OCtober 14

Soap:
Proraso green
Brush: Yaqi Moka Express synthetic
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Razor: 7 O'Clock

The Moka Express whipped the Proraso into a nice lather. WTG and ATG passes went well, but the touch-up pass left several weepers on my neck. The weepers surprised me since the 7 O'Clock razor usually works well for me.

2021-10-14 21.22.19.jpg

October 14
Fatip Gold Grande/Bic Chrome Platinum/single use
Saponificio Varesino Tundra Artica
Zenith B-27 Chubby Scrubby Boar

This was going to be a Bic Chrome Platinum blade review. We are going to have to strap on first use and impressions of Saponificio Varesino Tundra Artica. My October 8 shave was a face & head ATG Single Pass BBS. Great comfort shave. There were less than a half dozen clean up buffing strokes required. A memorable shave. It was a seven day shave.
Advantage Bic. This is a six day shave. My last use of a Bic was over a year ago. It was a favourable and liked blade. At that time I found the Bic to be a tad smoother, and wee bit duller than the Feather.
I will also do a Bic on October 20 The Hunter’s Moon 🌝 To keep the howlers at bay Saponificio Varesino Cosmo will be used. It’ll be another first use and impression. Let’s do Tundra/Bic tonight and see what happens.

View attachment 1345206

Mitchell’s Wool Fat bath bar vs SV Tundra Artica bath bar

A night for first’s. Tonight’s pre shave shower. I have been using and evaluating a bar of MWF bath bar, I’m two thirds through the bar. I fully load a face towel and gently message and soap my face and head. I’ve only used MWF on face and head. Tundra Artica bath bar vs MWF bath bar. Same load was used for the Tundra. I used the Tundra on all other body parts sans face and head. The Tundra load produced ample soap the texture noticeably sudsier and creamier than MWF. I would say it easily produced three times more soap on the same load. Soaping arms and shoulders there was no doubt there would be a large difference in performance. They both rinse cleanly. They both leave a comfortable skin non oily or greasy feeling. SV skin comfort was above that of the MWF, by a considerable margin. MWF has a very pleasant clean mild soap fragrance. SV soaps are fragranced. The MWF remaining bar was reassigned to laundry tub soap duties. Should a SV bath bar at three times the cost outperform MWF? Yes it should and it did. I will be purchasing more SV bath bars.

Fragrance

I can not identify a muted Cinnamon bright note in the middle base structure of a fragrance. Whatever that means. I smell something and I like it or not. I like it a little or like it a lot. The Tundra and Cosmo I’ve purchased are quite a bit softer in scent compared to the Felec Aromatica. My favourite. I asked my wife to smell the bloom water on the Tundra. I got a smile and a thumbs up. Rare occurrence for me. The night is off to a good start.

Lathering

Dudes don’t need no stinking instructions. We know better. I decided to try the SV lathering instructions. I tried fitting the puck in a few bowls I like but decided to work out of the aluminium container It’s a good comfortable hand fit for me as well. The puck is loose in the container. I used my thumbs to knead the top edges of the puck snugly into the sides of the container. Less water can be used for the bloom. The triple milled soaps consistency is closer to a very stiff croap. Lightly covered the soap surface with hot water ten to fifteen minutes. Probably thirty minutes soak time on the boar hair. Fully hydrated. A medium hard squeeze removed all loose water. Poured all the bloom into the damp boar hair. Held the brush work side down a few drops of water exited. This was a wet brush. Settled in and worked the puck. In a short time the slick in the soap could be felt momentarily just before the brush created a hard suction. It felt like a sink plunger. Neat. I lightened up a few more swirls and painted the luxurious creamy lather on my face. The fourth SV shave as of late. I have not had to adjust the first three lathers but tonight’s was different. That wasn’t the soap performance. It was using a slow blade. I am ecstatic with the SV soaps.

Bic Chrome Platinum vs Feather

An apology first. I will not be shaving with this blade next week as promised. Comparing last weeks shave to this shave performance will tell the tale. The speed of the cut. Half way through the first ATG cheek stroke. It felt like someone had grabbed me by the back of the pants and slowed me down big time. If your stroke moves quicker than the blade will cut. The purchase of the apex will tug the hair, before it cuts through. It feels exactly like a cart blade. The Bic cut one third to half the speed I use with the Feather. Disappointment change the shave to a DFS. I completed the face ATG Single Pass shave. It was considerably slower and required more buffing than I wanted even to get to a DFS. Halfway through the face shave I decide to do a two pass head shave. WTG/ATG. Since both face and head shaves were slower than usual the lather required touch ups and adjustments. I do not think a BBS shave is superior to a DFS. Both face and head were very pleasant comfortable DFS shaves. I prefer a BBS.

I think the Bic Chrome Platinum is a decent blade. If I had to use them. I would use multi pass shaves to get to my BBS. I likely was pushing the blade harder mostly out of habit. The Grande is locked and loaded with a fresh Feather for next week. The Hunter’s Moon. I feel a howl coming on.

Halfway through the month. Thank you Gentlemen for all your enjoyable fine shaves.
This is pretty intense. If I tried to go right to ATG on a six-day beard I'd need a transfusion.

OCtober XV

Much better shave today, my face recovered so I was able to get a nice shave.
I grabbed ARKO for its delightful scent and great performance. Lathered with my gigantic, soft, and awesome Paladin 2xl.

My New Bostonian was smooth and efficient. No whiskers left and no irritation.
75A7DDA9-7C66-4278-9386-AA0E8A22C8D7.jpeg
3BEE201C-6C10-47F6-9C65-88537729D83E.jpeg

We're on the same page today!
Gillette New SC
Bic Chrome Platinum (1)
and bay rum soap (Em's) and aftershave (Captain's Choice Cat o' 9 Tails)

I also used a new Semogue boar brush

Smoothest first shave with a Bic I've had. Also first time I've used one in a NEW.
Yes. We are on the same page.
I’ve been using the Personna Reds and now the German Blues are starting to run low on inventory.
So, I decided to try the Bic Chrome Platinum. Based on a sample size of 3 they seem to vary a bit. I like them in my Net SC band not as much in my RazoRock Old Type. (A bit rough and tuggy.) The good shaves are very good. They may take some more investigation but at this point I have a preference for the Personna.
The Atomic Age is Aargh-uably a fine Bay Rum.

I’ve been using the Personna Reds and now the German Blues are starting to run low on inventory.
So, I decided to try the Bic Chrome Platinum. Based on a sample size of 3 they seem to vary a bit. I like them in my Net SC band not as much in my RazoRock Old Type. (A bit rough and tuggy.) The good shaves are very good. They may take some more investigation but at this point I have a preference for the Personna.
That should read New SC.
Back to the tipping tutorial.

I respect the Bic for sure. I've mostly used them in a Slim, and they cut closer than most. Different blades give me different trouble spots, and for Bics, it's the corners of my mustache at my cheek, about where it creases when I smile. I forget to go carefully there because it's an odd spot--not my neck or soul patch or mustache--and come away with spots of blood. It's odd that my face should look so different to different blades, but it's real. When I remember their quirks, I avoid the nicks but I'm still experimenting with blades so I don't always remember.

Top Bottom