What's new

October 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in

My shave last night was a shave with my Böker shavette, Wilkinson sword brush and TOBS Sandalwood. It tugged a bit on the atg pass as the Miraki blades usually do on my third shave but I got a bbs result. I didn't want to shave but I had to as I knew that today me and my girlfriend would be putting our cat to sleep. Within the last week or so a really aggressive cancer just came out of nowhere and even the veterinary surgeons were shocked at how fast it was spreading.

Anyway here is a photo of our beloved Captain Morgan* during happier times. We are currently consoling ourselves with the thought that we at least gave this ex-stray cat 2 happy years
Screenshot_20211026-213503_Facebook.jpg

* the name Captain Morgan was chosen by a student vet when the Blue Cross took him in for a medical when he came into their care. As it was December 2019 the vet had presumably been at a party the night before and named the cat after the cause of his hangover. Estimates of his age have ranged between 6-11 years.

. I didn't want to shave but I had to as I knew that today me and my girlfriend would be putting our cat to sleep. Within the last week or so a really aggressive cancer just came out of nowhere and even the veterinary surgeons were shocked at how fast it was spreading.

Anyway here is a photo of our beloved Captain Morgan* during happier times. We are currently consoling ourselves with the thought that we at least gave this ex-stray cat 2 happy years

Sorry to hear about your cat, mate. We had to put two cats down within about three months a few years back shortly before my son was born. One of them was only with us about 11 months ( just showed up, emaciated, on our back deck one day) before he succumbed to hyperthyroidism, and he was my favorite little beast in the whole world. I was surprised how hard both of those trips to the vet were for me.

Still in

My shave last night was a shave with my Böker shavette, Wilkinson sword brush and TOBS Sandalwood. It tugged a bit on the atg pass as the Miraki blades usually do on my third shave but I got a bbs result. I didn't want to shave but I had to as I knew that today me and my girlfriend would be putting our cat to sleep. Within the last week or so a really aggressive cancer just came out of nowhere and even the veterinary surgeons were shocked at how fast it was spreading.

View attachment 1352839

* the name Captain Morgan was chosen by a student vet when the Blue Cross took him in for a medical when he came into their care. As it was December 2019 the vet had presumably been at a party the night before and named the cat after the cause of his hangover. Estimates of his age have ranged between 6-11 years.
Sorry for your loss

You ever get busy and end up going so long between shaves that when you finally look at yourself in the mirror, you realize you’d better just get out a straight?

Anyone?
Just me?
Okay.

B7CE2852-8694-496C-B7B0-E8DCE7AA2338.jpeg

Using an aftershave with no face food is always a chancy proposition after a straight shave, but the lather and this vintage razor were so good it wasn’t a problem at all. No cuts during a two pass ten minute DFS. I’ll take it.

Still in

View attachment 1352839

Sorry for your loss- looks like a fine beast. We had a beloved tuxedo cat disappear a few months ago- my wife especially is just broken-hearted.

I'm out. Butterscotch Chubby 2 synthetic. Been waiting for a Chubby synthetic in bscotch for a long time. They just posted a few fancy Chubs. I usually feel like a failure when I blow a restraint but I'm okay 👍 with this one.
I am out. I snapped and bought a few autumn soaps and aftershaves. The GRUME karma bit me too, I cut a mole on my jawline that I have not nicked for almost 2 months!!

I am still holding on to no new hardware for October and will be rooting for all you who remain!!
I'm out,
I purchased the colibri for sale on the BST. It's a razor that has really interested me for a while but something felt a bit off (perhaps ignorantly) in regards to entering my card data in a Russian site. So when I saw one pop up stateside with the plate I wanted I decided to purchase it.

Anyhow I'm excited to try the 1.50 gap on it. See you lot in a few days. @FoolishMortal
Forgot to report that I bombed out spectacularl on my birthday last week. Found a backup for my favorite brush that’s nearly impossible to find and decided to get myself a present. 15 minutes later, I remembered….
Still in. @FoolishMortal - looks like we need an updated roll call.

Pre-shave: Stirling Barbershop Pre-shave Oil
Brush: Stirling B&W 2 band synthetic
Razor: Schick Type M3
Blade: Chinese Schick (2)
Lather: Proraso Red
Aftershave: Cold water + alum, hyaluronic acid, TOBS Royal Forest A/S
Sorry, all. Last week was my birthday week and I went for a three-day solo motorcycle ride, followed by four days at the Russian River with my lovely bride. Then time was spent catching up on 700+ emails and getting ready for an all-day sales meeting, then said meeting happened, and now - as I work in ecommerce - things are really heating up. I'll be distracted by work for the foreseeable future.

That said, when some brothers fall, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @henrickd - GRUYERE
3) @Doti B
4) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
5) Sinnbad11 - out (10/22: Colibri)
6) @JWCowboy
7) @Multum in parvo
8) Owen Bawn - out (10/19: Simpson brush)
9) @‘Bout Time
10) @JKar
11) @SharpieB
12) @hopper_64
13) Timeclo - out (10/8: discounted stuff)
14) @Heavy_Metal_Hound
15) @linty1
16) @Stuart Ganis
17) @mattps1
18) JaggardJ - out (10/10: PIF entry)
19) Roedeer - out (10/10: MWF)
20) @12stones
21) @Kyle89
22) @Jmp63 - GRUYERE
23) bobmsp - out (10/??: Brush)
24) @FL shaver
25) @Contact_vs_Feedback
26) @sandorfi
27) @djmillard
28) @B_R_A_D
29) JCinPA - out (10/10: PIF entry)
30) Shaun asleep - out (10/11: AS and blades)
31) @Dodger59
32) Abz88 - out (10/5: RFB)
33) Balin - out (10/19: Soaps and A/S)
34) @pdieten
35) @La Malice
36) @Altonius

Sorry, all. Last week was my birthday week and I went for a three-day solo motorcycle ride, followed by four days at the Russian River with my lovely bride. Then time was spent catching up on 700+ emails and getting ready for an all-day sales meeting, then said meeting happened, and now - as I work in ecommerce - things are really heating up. I'll be distracted by work for the foreseeable future.

That said, when some brothers fall, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @henrickd - GRUYERE
3) @Doti B
4) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
5) Sinnbad11 - out (10/22: Colibri)
6) @JWCowboy
7) @Multum in parvo
8) Owen Bawn - out (10/19: Simpson brush)
9) @‘Bout Time
10) @JKar
11) @SharpieB
12) @hopper_64
13) Timeclo - out (10/8: discounted stuff)
14) @Heavy_Metal_Hound
15) @linty1
16) @Stuart Ganis
17) @mattps1
18) JaggardJ - out (10/10: PIF entry)
19) Roedeer - out (10/10: MWF)
20) @12stones
21) @Kyle89
22) @Jmp63 - GRUYERE
23) bobmsp - out (10/??: Brush)
24) @FL shaver
25) @Contact_vs_Feedback
26) @sandorfi
27) @djmillard
28) @B_R_A_D
29) JCinPA - out (10/10: PIF entry)
30) Shaun asleep - out (10/11: AS and blades)
31) @Dodger59
32) Abz88 - out (10/5: RFB)
33) Balin - out (10/19: Soaps and A/S)
34) @pdieten
35) @La Malice
36) @Altonius
If you could open up the November thread we could silently move over and don’t bother you until you have a breather…
Happy Birthday 🎂 btw :)

Wednesday 27th October, still out.
If you've stayed the course, you will now be 87% complete.

While I've been on the loose, I've dealt with some built-up ideas that were reasonable, and that included trying a synthetic brush.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary Edition
Brush: Vulfix Simpson small synthetic
Razor: GC.68 OC, Astra SP #2
Post-shave: Nivea Balm, Hyaluronic Acid.

Giving my new synthetic brush a test drive. This was not expensive, and feels more comfortable than my run-in boars, so a worthwhile upgrade. :thumbup:

With plenty of time, I went for the full multi-pass, and got a fine result without any irritation.

Top Bottom