What's new

OCtober 2020

(Sorry for the huge image) RR GC .84P JAWS - PermaSharp - MDC Fougere - SV Dolomiti
20201021_135209.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
OCtober 21st, Wed, 2020

Razor: Razorock old type O.C - Mfg 2015> excellent razor with a KAI SS DE blade. Milder mid range, good daily driver IMO.
Blade: KAI SS (9) excellent, sharp & smooth + great longevity. Worth having a few tucks for mild razors, .009"wider than a standard blade.
Soap: Colonel Conk Bayrum- mild scent + excellent lather qualities with a good post shave feel.
Brush: Yaqi lucky dice 26mm Tuxedo knot- excellent lather creator(bit of a lather hog) + cloud like soft tips.
Pre shave: brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WT + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Proraso green with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm,
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with my RR old type & Kai SS blade combo:thumbup:.
OCtober 21st, Wed 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Segal Razor / Vikings Blade (1) / Stirling Texas on Fire / Ever Ready Brush (made in England) / Pinaud Clubman -- first shave with the Segal Razor (a "beater" that looks like it was rescued from a shipwreck) -- suffice to say, everything was out of synch this morning and the shave reflected it, but the razor wasn't to blame (first time trimming a blade, the blade wasn't the best candidate, shaved my neck against the grain on the first pass, etc.). I acquired the Ever Ready badger brush in an antique store this weekend, and cleaned/gave it a spa day and did a few practice lathers on Monday. It appeared unused with the knot/handle undamaged--the red end cap unscrews and the bottom of the knot was "out of the box" clean so I have no idea how old it is/when it was made--it's light, so I might unscrew the top and put some BBs/bird shot in the handle. It looks like a 22mm knot, and is nice for face lathering; definitely the highlight of the shave.
089EF535-B1DD-42CC-87B6-53112D5D470A.jpeg

A rather overcast but warm day here in the mid-atlantic. Tomorrow begins our early muzzleloader season for deer so I probably won't shave for the next few days! As such and in keeping with the OCtober theme, I took the opportunity to shave today with my 'user' '36 'Crat. Loaded with a 3rd use Feather and paired up with AOS tallow lavender, it made for a nice, relaxing lunchtime shave. Happy shaves, everyone!
10.21.20.jpg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Haven't missed a day all month. I've been riding the Fatip Grande OC for the past 9 days or so; time soon to switch back to the New Improved to finish the month. I'll give the GSB one more shave in the Fatip and perhaps I'll make the change by Friday.

293A5ADE-26E8-4474-8596-7A40B228B523.jpeg

Razor: FOCS
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2)
Brush: 2-band badger
Cream: Gillette Pure
AS: Gillette Cool Wave

You're looking at a dead soldier in this photo. Finally squeezed out the last of the cream from that bottle and tossed it today. I face lather so whipping up a cloud on the brush isn't sensible. I left it all on my face. Next up is to finish off a half-empty tube of Erasmic.

After a couple of slightly rough straight razor shaves my face needed a break, and I didn't have time for a straight razor shave today anyway. Fortunately it was the FOCS's turn. Wiped off the whiskers silently and effortlessly. But my skin was still a bit irritated so I was left with a bit of redness under my right jaw; alum block and AS cleaned that up with a quickness.

SEtember 21st (15th OC of 15 Shaves)

Franken-Razor (DLC-Yaqi Cap, Pearl OC Base, PAA Handle) / Gillette Sport (new)
Dove +Men Pre-Shave
RR What the Puck Lime / 30mm Synthetic
Polo AS Balm
Couple dabs of Lagerfeld Cologne

Wow, great shave! - Possibly the best in OCtober. Don't know if its the Gillette Sport blade, which I've never used before, all the razor, but awesomely close and comfortable. This mishmash of parts just works really well, you can both hear and feel when the angle is just right. (Oddly, don't care for the Yaqi-DLC head itself, as its less than smooth, and the Pearll quite aggressive felling, but combined they're great).

M

member 119848

Since home from my Colorado road trip, I have been using my 🦊. Great as always.

Just ordered the new PAA glow in the dark open comb double slant PGOCS! Maybe it’ll be here in time to use before OCtober is gone.

El Fantasma!

View attachment 1170941
As soon as you get it please make us a review!
Not only the material is different from the BOCS, but the design... the "twist" is little more pronounced.

Razor: Gillette Brownie
Blade: Gillette King C. Gillette Platinum
Brush: Simpson's Butterscotch Chubby 2 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Essence of Scotland Malt N Myrtle
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
20201020_075459.jpg

Tomorrow is a Schick day gents, so I will see you on Friday.

Last edited:
OCtober 21:

E2875CB4-4E36-455C-94B2-0441A77C0775.jpeg

Stirling bay rum oil
Antiga Barbearia yadda yadda Porto cream
Wild West Brushworks BOSS
Gillette Goodwill 160 w/Rapira stainless
Captains Choice bay rum splash
Plum Island bay rum oil :001_wub:

Nice shave. First time with this cream. Performed well but very faint scent. Scent faintness might be because of poor lather result from this brush. Man I hate synth knots. Same issues as @Multum in parvo . Maybe I’ll get the water balance better tomorrow.

But I sure do live the Plum Island bay rum oil as a finish. Delightfully rich scent. It is basically olive oil with bay rum essential oil. So you gotta like putting oil on your face. But if your skin can handle it, just a few drops will make your face feel smooth and comfy all day.

Oh - and the Goodwill was great as always. Better blade tomorrow. :thumbup1:

Last edited:

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
OCtober SOTD
Razor: Fatip Grande OC
Blade: Feather (2)
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Brown Synthetic
Soap: MWF

Just because I'm quite stubborn, I decided to give MWF another try today after my sub par results previously. I made a couple of changes and had much better results.
1. I have hard water here, but that's never given me a problem with any other soaps or creams, but just to experiment I used purified bottled water.
2. I used my smooth stainless lather bowl instead of the Timeless bowl I usually use. I thought the ribbed Timeless bowl might be causing a liitle too much agitating of the MWF and causing the airy lather problems.
3. I tried the Yaqi brown synthetic brush because it has a little more back bone than others I have. (yes I did try my Omega 48 Boar brush, but with no improvement.)
So to make a long story short, I did finally achieve a nice creamy and slick lather with MWF. Yay!
Had a wonderful smooth BBS shave with the combination of gear I used today.

20201021_153105_kindlephoto-1195748.jpg

Top Bottom