What's new

OCtober 2020

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Greetings Open-Comb Shavers --

Open Comb October (aka OCtober) is rapidly approaching. This has been an annual tradition for many years -- last thread I found was in 2013, but it may go back even further than that -- and I hope everyone with an open comb razor will join in. Here is a link to last year's event (OCtober 2019)...and here is a quick summary of the "rules":
  1. There really are no "rules".....all it takes is an OC razor. Even though this thread is housed in the "DE" area, all OC razors are welcome: DE, SE, even those weird (but highly regarded) Wecks!!!
    :001_tongu
    . If it uses a blade and has an open toothed comb, then it's "in".

2. We've been taking a "head count" for years, so if you're going to participate (even for a single shave), just let us know with a "I'm in!!!" -- explanation points are optional.
  3. You don't have to shave the whole month with an OC (although it is highly encouraged and respected
    :punk:
    )....some will show for one shave and others for 31. When you do use your OC, please post your shave. It's doesn't have to have a pic (although we REALLY like pictures), just tell us something about your shave....most folks at least mention the razor, the blade (always looking for good razor-blade combos), the soap (always looking for good soaps/creams), the brush (always....well, you get the picture). Most of us are still learning about different razors, and these events are always great for learning about different razors and how they shave.

4. See rule #1.
So whether you have 1 or considerably more
:shifty:
, come join in the fun. I will be this year's facilitator. I reached out to @Shutterbug57, and work is keeping him very busy, so I offered to carry the torch again this year.

Greetings Open-Comb Shavers --

Open Comb October (aka OCtober) is rapidly approaching. This has been an annual tradition for many years -- last thread I found was in 2013, but it may go back even further than that -- and I hope everyone with an open comb razor will join in. Here is a link to last year's event (OCtober 2019)...and here is a quick summary of the "rules":
  1. There really are no "rules".....all it takes is an OC razor. Even though this thread is housed in the "DE" area, all OC razors are welcome: DE, SE, even those weird (but highly regarded) Wecks!!!
    :001_tongu
    . If it uses a blade and has an open toothed comb, then it's "in".

2. We've been taking a "head count" for years, so if you're going to participate (even for a single shave), just let us know with a "I'm in!!!" -- explanation points are optional.
  3. You don't have to shave the whole month with an OC (although it is highly encouraged and respected
    :punk:
    )....some will show for one shave and others for 31. When you do use your OC, please post your shave. It's doesn't have to have a pic (although we REALLY like pictures), just tell us something about your shave....most folks at least mention the razor, the blade (always looking for good razor-blade combos), the soap (always looking for good soaps/creams), the brush (always....well, you get the picture). Most of us are still learning about different razors, and these events are always great for learning about different razors and how they shave.

4. See rule #1.
So whether you have 1 or considerably more
:shifty:
, come join in the fun. I will be this year's facilitator. I reached out to @Shutterbug57, and work is keeping him very busy, so I offered to carry the torch again this year.
I'm in

Woo hoo! Been waiting for this. With a little discipline, I’m hoping to get through my whole set:
- ATT Atlas R2
- ATT Atlas S2
- Eclipse Red Ring*
- GEM Damaskeene*
- GEM MMOC
- Gillette Goodwill 160
- Gillette misc New Type head on a Tech handle
- Gillette New SC
- Gillette New LC
- Gillette Single Ring Old Type
- Phoenix Nickel DOC
- Phoenix Starling V2 OC
- Rotbart Old Type Clone

I put a * on the Eclipse Red Ring and GEM Damaskeene because they both have a bar that joins the teeth. I think of them as OC because the blade rests across the teeth and is more exposed than it would be with a normal safety bar. But if you gents think they don’t qualify, let me know.

Flintstone65

Woo hoo! Been waiting for this. With a little discipline, I’m hoping to get through my whole set:
- ATT Atlas R2
- ATT Atlas S2
- Eclipse Red Ring*
- GEM Damaskeene*
- GEM MMOC
- Gillette Goodwill 160
- Gillette misc New Type head on a Tech handle
- Gillette New SC
- Gillette New LC
- Gillette Single Ring Old Type
- Phoenix Nickel DOC
- Phoenix Starling V2 OC
- Rotbart Old Type Clone

I put a * on the Eclipse Red Ring and GEM Damaskeene because they both have a bar that joins the teeth. I think of them as OC because the blade rests across the teeth and is more exposed than it would be with a normal safety bar. But if you gents think they don’t qualify, let me know.
Excellent, EXCELLENT point, sir!!! So I've been on the verge of starting a poll on this, but frankly it only matters to those of us who are participating in OCtober. So I'll give you my two-cents:

An Open Comb to me is a comb razor (meaning it has "teeth" [as in teeth of a hair comb]) where the teeth are "open" (i.e., exposed, as in they are connected only in one spot [either on "roof" or on the "jaw", but not in both places....so they are independent of each other). Someone once put it this way, "if I took a pair of pliers, I could break a "tooth" off"....to me, that means the tooth is exposed. Now it may be more vestigial (as in it doesn't really "comb" your lather), most SE razors have such a shallow angle (ride the cap), that the comb seems almost pointless. However, I see the comb on an Open Comb Micromatic, and I think "open comb"; when I see the comb on a Gem 1912, I think closed comb (the teeth are connected).

I've been thinking about this for the last few months, and actually there was a thread with a mild discussion on this, but it seem to get a bit heated....let's remember that everyone looks at their razors with their own "lens"....if you see an "open comb" when you look at a Gem Damaskeene, that's perfectly fine; but as facilitator of the thread, I do reserve the right to make the final call.

So what is everyone's opinion on what constitutes an "Open Comb"....we've got a few days before we have to "lock it down" and the call is made.

Thanks!

Excellent, EXCELLENT point, sir!!! So I've been on the verge of starting a poll on this, but frankly it only matters to those of us who are participating in OCtober. So I'll give you my two-cents:

An Open Comb to me is a comb razor (meaning it has "teeth" [as in teeth of a hair comb]) where the teeth are "open" (i.e., exposed, as in they are connected only in one spot [either on "roof" or on the "jaw", but not in both places....so they are independent of each other). Someone once put it this way, "if I took a pair of pliers, I could break a "tooth" off"....to me, that means the tooth is exposed. Now it may be more vestigial (as in it doesn't really "comb" your lather), most SE razors have such a shallow angle (ride the cap), that the comb seems almost pointless. However, I see the comb on an Open Comb Micromatic, and I think "open comb"; when I see the comb on a Gem 1912, I think closed comb (the teeth are connected).

I've been thinking about this for the last few months, and actually there was a thread with a mild discussion on this, but it seem to get a bit heated....let's remember that everyone looks at their razors with their own "lens"....if you see an "open comb" when you look at a Gem Damaskeene, that's perfectly fine; but as facilitator of the thread, I do reserve the right to make the final call.

So what is everyone's opinion on what constitutes an "Open Comb"....we've got a few days before we have to "lock it down" and the call is made.

Thanks!
I’m in. Maybe not for the whole month, but at least part of it.

1930 Gillette New Long Comb

As for what constitutes a“legal” razor, I would refer you to Rule #4. Let the gentleman’s conscience prevail.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Open Comb October (aka OCtober) is rapidly approaching.

I'm in! Oh, what the heck -- for our more sober-sided members who disdain exclamation punctuation I'll toss in a few more. Feel free to take one if you need it.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There. That oughta do it.

I just sold the SE2, so I'll let the new owner rock it for OCtober.

However, I still have the ATT S2, an MMOC, the PAA Starling V2OC, and the RazoRock Hawk V3OC.

Looks like one a week, and I can transition out of Slantember with the S2. I feel special! I might even have a PBOCS toward the end of the month, so another one that could fit more than one month.

O.H.

To me a comb is a comb. Regardless of how it is constructed the essential function is the same. If there is a gap between the tines where the blade meets the whiskers it is an open comb. I believe we call a true closed comb a solid bar. With respect Fred, does reinforcing the tines at the bottom change the function?
I am thinking largely about razors such as the Damaskeene and Gem Junior.

I agree with letting the gentleman's conscience prevail.

With my Gem 1912, I get "rakes" in the lather like I do with my open combs. When I think of a solid bar, I think of my Techs. Opinions are perfectly valid either way.

I'll be considering my Gem 1912 as open comb, and if you disagree, I shall remind you that this is all in good fun. I still like you and want to hang out :)

Flintstone65

I’m in. Maybe not for the whole month, but at least part of it.

1930 Gillette New Long Comb

As for what constitutes a“legal” razor, I would refer you to Rule #4. Let the gentleman’s conscience prevail.
To me a comb is a comb. Regardless of how it is constructed the essential function is the same. If there is a gap between the tines where the blade meets the whiskers it is an open comb. I believe we call a true closed comb a solid bar. With respect Fred, does reinforcing the tines at the bottom change the function?
I am thinking largely about razors such as the Damaskeene and Gem Junior.
I agree with letting the gentleman's conscience prevail.

With my Gem 1912, I get "rakes" in the lather like I do with my open combs. When I think of a solid bar, I think of my Techs. Opinions are perfectly valid either way.

I'll be considering my Gem 1912 as open comb, and if you disagree, I shall remind you that this is all in good fun. I still like you and want to hang out :)
You all make compelling points -- especially the "all in good fun" position, which I do thoroughly agree with and firmly believe it supersedes all other "positions". So the open comb question is answered: if you believe your razor is sporting an open comb, then please join in and share it with the rest of us. This is a "big tent" and we've got room for lots of razors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom