What's new

OCtober 2019

OCt 19

Sitting on a runway, turns out there is no room for more planes in San Francisco.

Fast, no pressure, 2 pass, early morning Italian shave:

Fatip Piccolo SE
Rapira Platinum Lux (1)
Cella bowl lathered
Omega 10066
Alum and AS - very mellow, skin is feeling good

OCtober shave #18
Gillette Canadian New Long Comb
Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India) (1)
Wilkinson Sword Boar
Williams
Alum
Gillette Aftershave Gel

Another great shave. This is one of those weird times when a mediocre blade becomes a top tier blade in one razor. I tried an Indian Wilkie in this same razor several days ago and got four great shaves. I thought it might have been a fluke, so I tried another this morning. Same thing, sharp and smooth. Yippee!

OCtober Shave 18

Thick cap ball-end Old Type razor
Gillette Nacet blade (1)
Omega Bigger Bambino Boar Brush
Razorock Orange Sunrise soap
Dickenson's Witch Hazel for AS

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
A Ziglar's OC Slant with a Dorco Prime blade. This is an interesting slant to me, it's on the mild side, but I got a CCS+/DFS- with it after 2-passes and no-touchup. The interesting part is how the razor looks....I've included an extra pic that tries to show the unusual base plate. The bottom of the base plate has a blown or balloon shape....I guess that's part of the magic of how it get's the "slant". I also really enjoyed the LEA stick -- I've got a couple of the LEA creams that I absolutely love, and the stick now falls into that category as well.
Here's the razor (base plate turned upside down):
proxy.php

Here's the shave -- sorry the razor is wet in this shot:

proxy.php

Shave of the day, RR GC .84 OC, Derby blade, RR P-160 soap, Proraso Green pre and post. If only I was 20 years younger so my wife would actually notice my clean shaves...

PAA Ascension SS/Voshkod Teflon/Yaqi 30mm Tux/Eleven DFS LE ‘19 soap
Thayers Lemon WH Astringent/Eleven DFS LE ‘19 splash/Mr. Burberry eau de parfum

A real good shave with the SS Ascension. A very smooth yet efficient feeling razor that punches way above its weight. It’s marketed as a ”Twist Adjustable” and it sounds gimmicky but, because of the extreme curvature of the razor base plate and top cap, the razor acts as a spring and gives the razor the adjustment via twisting the handle in very small increments. Tightening the handle closes the gap and leaves a very smooth feeling shave with light blade feel. Turning it to loosen the handle increases gap and blade reveal for more cutting aggression with an increase in blade feel and efficiency. Simple but, genius. Great shaves to all...

I like your description and look of your DOC! I was unaware of this in SS and their "new twist" on design. I'm going to add one to my team of OC's. Thanks !

Hello GlazedBoker, I was just gifted one of these Cooper Monobilts, and I was finding it hard to get a blade in without it bending and having a "smile" at one end, on one side. Does the Derby have shorter ends perhaps? Or possibly my Cooper is not square (I attempted to use an Astra Superior Stainless).

Thanks, Stmiff

Can't tell you my friend. The blade tab should slide under the retainer end and your blade cut out holes should line up with the base plate posts. Once your blade is placed the top cap swings over and that blade shouldn't torque or twist to one side or the other once you turn the knob to tighten it down. Are you sure your blade is lined up properly on the posts and your blade tab end is under the blade hook/retainer and not on top? It's hard to say without a pic of the actual razor and blade installed on your Monobilt. It's possible that your locking pin could be slightly off and is not locking down correctly into the jaw closure or "clutch cylinder assembly" as Mr. Hoffman called it when designing the razor.

Perhaps take a few pics and maybe some of us here can help in identifying what your issue might be.

I like your description and look of your DOC! I was unaware of this in SS and their "new twist" on design. I'm going to add one to my team of OC's. Thanks !

Thanks amigo. It's an excellent razor and actually works extremely well as an adjustable. It's a fine shaver in all three of their alloy make ups that include Copper, Aluminum and the Stainless model here for todays shave.

Happy shaves.... :thumbup1:

This morning’s shave for me was with:

Razor: WCS 110s
Blade: Astra SP
Cream: Proraso blue
Brush: Omega S Brush
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PAA Ascension SS/Voshkod Teflon/Yaqi 30mm Tux/Eleven DFS LE ‘19 soap
Thayers Lemon WH Astringent/Eleven DFS LE ‘19 splash/Mr. Burberry eau de parfum

A real good shave with the SS Ascension. A very smooth yet efficient feeling razor that punches way above its weight. It’s marketed as a ”Twist Adjustable” and it sounds gimmicky but, because of the extreme curvature of the razor base plate and top cap, the razor acts as a spring and gives the razor the adjustment via twisting the handle in very small increments. Tightening the handle closes the gap and leaves a very smooth feeling shave with light blade feel. Turning it to loosen the handle increases gap and blade reveal for more cutting aggression with an increase in blade feel and efficiency. Simple but, genius. Great shaves to all...

Is that brush legal? [emoji38] 30mm wow. That must get the job done no doubt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shave of the day
Razor:
Fatip Piccolo SE
Blade : Voskhod #10
Brush: Maseto Silvertip, 27mm knot
Soap: Proraso Sandalwood
ASB: Nivea
EDC: Eton College Collection
IMG_0371a.JPG

OCtober shave #6:

My first ever shave with a Goodwill! - Meet my newest addition: An immaculate British Goodwill head, for this shave paired with my trusted Hybrid Tech fat handle, a worthy companion for this super condition, wonderfully crafted head. According to mr-razor this head belonged to a 1931-35 French Empire set, as far as I can see.

This was an absolutely wonderful shave. I truly believe the hype now, soooo smooth and easy.

Today further paired with Chubby1, Proraso Azur Lime cream, and my homebrew blue splash. Oh, and mixed in a cute little shave bowl made in raku ceramics by my 83 year old mother :thumbup1:

FAC2FB1F-4676-453B-B4EF-9DBB70B284B9.jpeg

OCtober shave #19
Merkur 41C + Gillette Nacet (1)
Used Lather & Wood Preshave Oil. Face lather with Muhle XL and Tabac Original. 3 passes + touch ups to DFS. Mild Witch Hazel report. No issues. Pleasant shave.

Razor: CG Brass Level 2 OC/RGShaveDesigns Antique Brass Skull handle/PolSilver SI blade

Brush: Paladin Atlas Dancing Skeleton in Bone (alternate ivory)

Soap/Aftershave: DG Massacre of the Innocents
IMG_427.jpg

Parker 24c
Lord Super Chrome - 1st Lord blade. I’m not sure about it yet
Cremo brush
L’Occitane Cade
Nivea Balm
Stirling Executive Man a/s

OCtober Shave #20

Razor: Gillette Goodwill 160
Blade: Perma-Sharp (2)
Soap: Declaration Grooming - After the Rain