OCtober shave count: (8)

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Joris
Blade: Shark SS (9)
Brush: APShaveco uBrush Tuxedo
Soap: Fine Snake Bite
Aftershave: Osage Rub
030_50.jpg

Where has this two weeks gone using my Joris? I'm already on day 9 with it and a Shark SS blade. One more shave and my Joris will go back into the depths of my rotation. I'm really considering doing a extended stay with my Fatip Grandes.

I'm finding the chill of Fine Snake Bite has less affect on me as the week goes on. I always find my soaps are better on the first day of the week. Maybe it's the 72 hours of stubble that I prep and take down rather than daily 24 hours growth? Don't get me wrong, good soaps are good soaps and Fine can hang with the best of them.

Anyway, great shave, great fun!

10 Oct 19 OCtober
Razor:
Razorock GC .84P OC
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (2)
Brush: 24mm RR Silvertip Badger brush
Pre-Shave:
Shower and Clearasil face wash
Lather: Barrister & Mann Seville soap
Aftershave: Barrister & Mann Seville AS Splash
Additional Care: Thayers WH
IMG_20191009_210102.jpg

OCtober Shave #8

Gillette Old type Thick Cap Ball End, No SN
Gillette Silver Blue (3)
WCS Ancient Stone Topaz 24mm Synthetic Brush
Martin de Candre-Lav Soap
Aqua Velva Blue Ice Classic AS

I tried the steep angle/ride the bar technique with the razor today, and I was surprised it did a nice DFS with no weepers or irritation! BUT, it was not as close as with the shallow/ride the cap technique. I was surprised.

I have only used this razor 3 times, so really all I can competently say about this razor is, I don't hate it.

hAve A greAt one And keep on shAving!

• Gillette Old Type, thin cap head w/ Fat Handle from Pre-war Tech
  • NOS Schick Super Chromium (8)
  • Long Rifle Hawkeye soap
  • ToBS Badger, face lathered
  • Benjamins Bay Rum Mentholated Splash on Lotion
Second Old Type shave using a steep angle--today's with the thin cap model that gave me so much grief a few shaves ago--and again, success. No nicks or cuts.

Steep angle shaving runs counter to everything I think I know about shaving. But it's worked. Pass and a half, minimal touch up for a strikingly close shave. Just goes to show you.

OCtober shave #9
Merkur 41C + US Personna Blue (2)
Face lather with Muhle XL and Tabac Original. 3 passes + touch ups to DFS+. No issues. This combo continues to perform.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
This was an impulse purchase based on member B&B recommendations (and it was dirt cheap) -- a VERY inexpensive Chinese Dual Open Comb (DOC) that I put on one of my heavier nicer stainless steel handles. The shave was incredibly mild feeling and not nearly as efficient as most of my other razors, but after 3-passes I was left with a very nice finish (smooth and irritation-and-blood-free). The Dorco Prime blade has been surprising me, and the Nivea Sensitive Skin cream was lathered well with my 24mm RazoRock Plissoft.
proxy.php

OCtober Shave 9

Open comb Gem MicroMatic razor
Carbon Steel SE blade (4)

Omega Bigger Bambino Boar Brush
Razorock Orange Sunrise soap
Dickenson's Witch Hazel for AS

OCtober Shave #8

Gillette Old type Thick Cap Ball End, No SN
Gillette Silver Blue (3)
WCS Ancient Stone Topaz 24mm Synthetic Brush
Martin de Candre-Lav Soap
Aqua Velva Blue Ice Classic AS

I tried the steep angle/ride the bar technique with the razor today, and I was surprised it did a nice DFS with no weepers or irritation! BUT, it was not as close as with the shallow/ride the cap technique. I was surprised.

I have only used this razor 3 times, so really all I can competently say about this razor is, I don't hate it.

hAve A greAt one And keep on shAving!

Fantastic! I find the same thing - the steep-angled shave isn't quite as close, but it's very much in the acceptable range. That's a tiny price to pay for the massive increase in comfort (for me). Very few nicks occur, and rarely is there irritation until I've done it to myself by over-shaving an area.

• Gillette Old Type, thin cap head w/ Fat Handle from Pre-war Tech
  • NOS Schick Super Chromium (8)
  • Long Rifle Hawkeye soap
  • ToBS Badger, face lathered
  • Benjamins Bay Rum Mentholated Splash on Lotion
Second Old Type shave using a steep angle--today's with the thin cap model that gave me so much grief a few shaves ago--and again, success. No nicks or cuts.

Steep angle shaving runs counter to everything I think I know about shaving. But it's worked. Pass and a half, minimal touch up for a strikingly close shave. Just goes to show you.
I'm so happy to hear it! This was a revelation for me, too, and allows me to enjoy all of my razors. Cheers!

SOTD
  • Tabac
  • Maggards 24mm Synthetic
  • Thin-cap Old Type on '45 Ball End Tech Handle
  • Nacet (8)
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Gentlemen's Grooming Black Pepper & Thistle ASP
  • Vintage Avon Moonwind Cologne (as AS)

For me and a few others we could rename the thread “Learning to shave with a 100 year old razor”!!

:thumbup1:

I found some instructions for the Old Type razor online. A "neutral" angle was recommended, it seems, going by the illustration in the pamplet. Not too shallow, not too steep. Right in the middle.

Thursday OCtober 10

Ok, so on Monday I started using my European made vintage razors and I'm going to continue with European made razors for the next week or so. Today, I shaved with my British single ring, British Patent #28763.02, serial #H105553. Based on the serial #, I think this was made around 1915 which makes it more than a century old. I'm not sure what the "H" in the serial # means or if the serial # is actually "serial". H could mean that it was made in Britain for another country like Germany or that it was made in Germany for Germany. I don't know where it was made or what country it was made for. All I know is I have it and it's a GREAT shaving razor for 104+/- years old.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - Cold River Soap Works Glide Morning Ghost
Brush - Dubl Duck #2 Boar
Blade - Feather HI SS (7)
Razor - 1915+/- Gillette British Single Ring
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Cold River Soap Works Morning Ghost A/S Splash

Shave rating 5 of 5

My hand is still bothering me so shaving is a bit of an issue; I'm not shaving every day. I get my stitches out tomorrow, maybe that will help - I can't get it wet, movement is still compromised, and there is still some pain. I can't stretch my skin in my neck area so I am having some problems there.

I did a 2 pass shave today. First pass, WTG was DFS and I could have stopped there. I really liked how this razor was shaving me. It felt very solid, a little blade feel which I liked. So I did a second pass XTG on my face but WTG again on my neck area as I wasn't going to try to get really close there as I can't stretch my skin there. Comparing this razor to my other single rings, this might be a half notch below my 1906 that I shaved with on 10/1 but shaved and felt better than the other single rings and the Bulldog. Seventh shave with this blade and it still feels ok. I thought the brush might be a little too floppy but it wasn't really. The soap and brush worked up a real nice lather. This soap and A/S has a real nice complex scent. Earthy and woodsy but at different times as I was shaving, I could smell some different scents, like it was changing a bit. I'm not sophisticated enough to know what each scent I picked up was but there were several different scents I smelled at different times during the shave. I hope the same happens with the A/S too. If it does, I'll look into getting the EdT (if they make one).

Overall, a really good shave. Have a few French razors that will be the razors for my next few shaves this weekend and next week.

Happy OCtober and great shaves everyone.
F211F50D-0FCA-42CD-964B-240920FB87AA.jpeg

OCtober shave #6
Razor: Gillette Single Ring
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: WCS Tortoiseshell Torch Silvertip
Soap: NO Barrbarr
Aftershave: NO Barrbarr
Bowl: CC Copper

Edit to add: This was a great shave. I went slightly steeper than I had been and it worked wonderfully. I really like this razor. This was by far my best shave of OCtober yet.

OCtober4.jpg

Top Bottom