This morning's shave:

Merkur 25C
Omega S Brush synthetic
Van Der Hagen Luxury soap
Gillette Stainless the blue ones
Clubman after shave

Shave on!

How are you liking your first OC?
Well, I’m still learning. It’s been rougher on my chin than I’m used to. Today I limited myself to 2 passes and was more careful on my chin to not overlap strokes so the blade contact was more limited. Also switched to a different blade. The shave was much more comfortable throughout the day. I’ll see if I can repeat that success. Maybe I’m getting the hang of it

Shave #6

Gillette New LC “Reissue”/Derby/Yaqi Metal 24mm/RR Emperor Tallow soap
Thayers Astringent Lemon/RR Emperor splash

Derby and I are not good friends but, a few weepers aside it was a good shave.
A great evening and shaves to all.....

3B3DEB46-546F-4F57-B599-68ED50A0E98E.jpeg

OCtober shave #7
Merkur 41C + US Personna Blue (4)
Washed face and applied hot towel. Face lathered with Muhle XL and Tabac plus a small snurdle of Cremo. 3 passes + touch ups to just shy of a BBS. No issues. Very pleasant and smooth shave. This razor is combo is mild but it is easy to get near BBS without issues. Finished with AV Classic. It’s worth repeating very pleasant and smooth evening shave.

This morning

Gillette Pocket Old Type
Dorco Prime (2)
Anthony's brushless cream

A quick shave o the face.

This evening

Valet Autostrop with GEM blade - aborted as wasn't cutting hair no matter the angle
Replaced with
Gillette Single Ring
Polsilver (1)
IanS Orange Geranium
Synbad 30mm
Witch Hazel

Head shave, lovely.

8 October 2019
Merkur 25c
Astra SP (2)
Maggard Lilac
Razorock Monster synthetic
Col Conk Rio Grande Lavender aftershave lotion

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Shave of the day
Razor:
Fatip Piccolo SE
Blade : Voskhod #9
Brush: Maseto Silvertip, 27mm knot
Soap: Proraso Sandalwood
ASB: Nivea
IMG_1118b.JPG

Raven Koenes

My precious!
OCtober shave count: (7)

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Joris
Blade: Shark SS (8)
Brush: APShaveco SynBad
Soap: Fine Snake Bite
Aftershave: Osage Rub
032_50.jpg

Shave 8 on a Shark SS blade was smooth. Things are still in the flow. I'm totally at ease with my larger, heftier, Joris. I really like the refined Fatip head Joris uses. It's a very efficient and the razor gets the job done with minimal effort on my part. Plus, it's real purtty to look at. Like David lee Roth once said, "It's not whether you win or loose, it's about how good you looked doing it." I can't do much about my looks, but this razor has it in spades.

Last edited:
  • Gillette Old Type, thick cap head w/ post-war Tech's fat handle
  • NOS Schick Super Chromium (7)
  • Williams + Derby Lavender cream superlather
  • Vie Long, face lathered
  • Mennen Afta Original After Shave Skin Conditioner
Took the advice of @FoolishMortal and used a steep angle with the Old Type. An extremely audible shave, and it felt like it was scraping, not shaving, my stubble, but the results were impressive. Most importantly--NO CUTS.

Now, it was the thin cap that was killing me, so I will have to go back and try a steep angle with that razor and see how it goes. Perhaps that's the secret to the Fatip Piccolo.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Bohin Adjustable / Gillette Minora
Wild West - Mantle / Timberwolf
Bundubeard - Kameelperd's Kick
Prep​

proxy.php
Well there's something you don't see every day....I had to look that beauty up! A French-made vintage....not easy to come by....well done!!!

OCtober Shave 7

Gillette Old Type Thick Cap Ball End no SN
Gillette Silver Blue (#2)
West Coast Shaving Ancient Stone Topaz 24 mm
Cyril R. Salter French Vetiver creme
Stirling Sandpiper AS

3 Pass DFS++. No nicks or cuts, 1 small weeper.

Have a Great One Everyone! Lets get to 40 Pages!
And a tip of the hat to Fred for all the work he is doing!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Took the advice of FoolishMortal and used a steep angle with the Old Type. An extremely audible shave, and it felt like it was scraping, not shaving, my stubble, but the results were impressive. Most importantly--NO CUTS.

Now, it was the thin cap that was killing me, so I will have to go back and try a steep angle with that razor and see how it goes. Perhaps that's the secret to the Fatip Piccolo.
That's good advice. I would most definetly give steep angle shaving a go with your Piccolo. It's totally counter intuitive, but once you go steep you'll never go cap. Really, if you find it works for you can always check out Steep Angle Shavers Alliance: Steep Angle Shavers Alliance - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/steep-angle-shavers-alliance.521311/ It's actually a thing lol.

OCtober shave #8
Merkur 41C + US Personna Blue (1)
Face lather with Muhle XL and Tabac Original. 3 passes + touch ups to DFS+. No issues. Alum report said close enough. Finished with AV Classic. Very simple and very pleasant shave.

Flintstone65

Inspired by Bohin, but feeling like an SE shave, I decided it was time to trot out my L'Essor. The razor came with wedge blades (as you can see in the pic), but my wedge honing skills are still underdeveloped, so I opted for a GEM SS PTFE blade on it's 10th shave.

At first glance the razor doesn't look particularly special, but it has a nifty feature -- the back blade clip is not spring based, but rather tightened by turning the knob at the bottom of the handle. This twist to close-and-lock on the back blade clip and the nice and snug side clips (plus solid blade stops) meant that the thin GEM blade was nicely locked into place. Often these wedge-blade razors don't do a great job with the thinner modern blades, but this one was, shall we say, parfait!!! The shave was made even better with Modern Williams and my Omega boar....2-passes and a quickie witch hazel touch-up produced a super close and very comfortable shave.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
OCtober 9th- I have been eyeing my Gillette old type that I acquired back last yr and have used it a few times since. I bought it with a _bay lot , you know when you come across a well liked razor that the previous owner cherished from the wear of the top cap plate. Almost all the Nickel has disappeared and the bottom plate is almost pristine & not a bent tooth with no dents so he enjoyed this one, also I had to replace the (paper) wedged Gillette ball type handle with a (spare)Gillette Tech handle. I usually get a weeper or two- but this razor gives a close shave and is more a upper mid range for aggression razor IMO.

Razor : Gillette old type-MFG 1920's + a Tech handle Mfg-1940's
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (4)
Soap : Nivea sensitive shave cream
Brush: Yaki Tuxedo knot 24mm+
Pre shave: Wet the face + Aloe vera gel on beard area only
Post shave: Alum + cold water rinse
Post shave: Razorock Blue barber with witch hazel + Nivea cool kick balm
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + Alum indicated some irritation + 1 chin weeper = :001_smile
OCtober 9-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Inspired by Bohin, but feeling like an SE shave, I decided it was time to trot out my L'Essor. The razor came with wedge blades (as you can see in the pic), but my wedge honing skills are still underdeveloped, so I opted for a GEM SS PTFE blade on it's 10th shave.

At first glance the razor doesn't look particularly special, but it has a nifty feature -- the back blade clip is not spring based, but rather tightened by turning the knob at the bottom of the handle. This twist to close-and-lock on the back blade clip and the nice and snug side clips (plus solid blade stops) meant that the thin GEM blade was nicely locked into place. Often these wedge-blade razors don't do a great job with the thinner modern blades, but this one was, shall we say, parfait!!! The shave was made even better with Modern Williams and my Omega boar....2-passes and a quickie witch hazel touch-up produced a super close and very comfortable shave.

proxy.php

proxy.php
Interesting razor for tensioning the blade to secure seat, looks like a winner you have acquired Fred. Thanks for sharing this unique razor from France?
Have some great shaves!

Flintstone65

Interesting razor for tensioning the blade to secure seat, looks like a winner you have acquired Fred. Thanks for sharing this unique razor from France?
Have some great shaves!
Thanks -- yes, I dealt directly with the owner in France. My mom spoke French before she spoke English (our family were French-Canadian immigrants to the U.S. -- I can recall the adults switching to french to keep the kids from listening in on sensitive conversations. My french is somewhere between barley-understandable and sort-of-conversational, but the seller was patient with me. The razor and case are definitely in "user condition", but that's the case with 95% of the stuff I have. :001_smile

Top Bottom