What's new

OCtober 2019

Good to see you -- and that is a good question. I've been compiling everyone's name into a spreadsheet, so I do have a roster in the making. I figured I'd post it up on October 1. I also looked back at the past OC threads and it was hard for me to tell how the roster was being used. Given that the "rules" in more recent years seemed to suggest that you didn't have to participate the whole month, it's not quite like a GRUME. I guess I was looking at it like SEptember, Schicktember, and Slantember where some people dedicate themselves to the whole month, and others post-up when they use the specified-tool and are hopefully encouraged to really use the tool-of-the-month as much as possible, but they aren't really held to exclusivity. I have enough OC razors to never have to duplicate a shave over the entire month (yep, that's why I REALLY need to be in and stick to a GRUME); but I know others may only have one or two razors and tremble at the idea of not being able to rotate more of their non-OC collection throughout the month.

In terms of stats, I am recording every member's shave-post in a spreadsheet -- probably razor and blade only, depending on how much folks share about their shave and what I'm capable of recording every day -- then I'll also compare that to the roster and have some stats on razors, shavers, and potentially blades used.

Too complicated? Probably....and I am a newbie who is also trying to be as true as I can to Shutterbug57's running of the thread, so I'm open to ideas and suggestions.
Wow - you're taking it way farther than I would, but that's just because I'm lazy. ;)

I was thinking of something like what I did with the Arko August thread - participation-level categories. Going that route satisfies this:
"I guess I was looking at it like SEptember, Schicktember, and Slantember where some people dedicate themselves to the whole month, and others post-up when they use the specified-tool and are hopefully encouraged to really use the tool-of-the-month as much as possible, but they aren't really held to exclusivity."

That takes a fair bit of tracking, though, so maybe the best option is just a list of who's doing even one OC shave?

In any case, it's your thread. Do it however you want to. I'm just happy to participate!

:shaving:

Due to Tabactober, GRUME and OCtober I've decided on 3 fixes.

Razor: Fatip Piccolo mk2
Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum
Soap: Tabac
Brush: rotation

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Wow - you're taking it way farther than I would, but that's just because I'm lazy. ;)

I was thinking of something like what I did with the Arko August thread - participation-level categories. Going that route satisfies this:
"I guess I was looking at it like SEptember, Schicktember, and Slantember where some people dedicate themselves to the whole month, and others post-up when they use the specified-tool and are hopefully encouraged to really use the tool-of-the-month as much as possible, but they aren't really held to exclusivity."

That takes a fair bit of tracking, though, so maybe the best option is just a list of who's doing even one OC shave?

In any case, it's your thread. Do it however you want to. I'm just happy to participate!

:shaving:
I'll check out the Arko August thread -- and I'll admit that I'm somewhat nervous about my full-on tracking plan for this thread. It has been a bit of a challenge with Slantember, and we had less participants than this thread. We'll see....either way, I really appreciate the guidance, thanks!!!

I'll check out the Arko August thread -- and I'll admit that I'm somewhat nervous about my full-on tracking plan for this thread. It has been a bit of a challenge with Slantember, and we had less participants than this thread. We'll see....either way, I really appreciate the guidance, thanks!!!
Check out this sample of the list. We kept getting new friends all throughout the month.

Happy to help, and thanks for organizing OCtober!

Flintstone65

Check out this sample of the list. We kept getting new friends all throughout the month.

Happy to help, and thanks for organizing OCtober!
Man, that is freak'in BRILLIANT!!!! I am so going to "steal" that idea for the next time out....and depending on how it goes within the first few days, I may just migrate us over to that. Thank you, sir....that really is an excellent way to build a flexible and usable roster for these types of things.

I am in! - Even a solid bar nut like myself have a few OC’s to bring out for this fine event:

Gillette Aristocrat 1st generation (rhodium)
Gillette Senator
Gillette New RFB #77
Rotbart Mond-Extra

Actually, I will even - on 01 October - bring out, for the very first time ever, the gorgeous, the impeccable, the illustrious, the golden, the British ... ARISTOCRAT from the #19 set!!!

View attachment 1019813

Oh, nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hadn’t even thought about OCtober. But something made me take this baby to camp with me for a change. So I’m in!
image.jpg

The Shavecraft 101 was staring at me. So I thought I may as well do a sneak preview.
Shavecraft 101 + US Personna Blue (1)
Face lather with Omega 10049 and Tabac
1st shave this blade. Used the OC side only. No nicks or cuts. Irritation minimal. 3 passes + touch ups to DFS. Capped off with ASB.

I had forgotten how care free this razor can be.

I’ll join! I’m an open comb newb but I’ve got a couple old type razors. One is a ball end old type the other a single ring. I have a gold schone in route as well.

I’ll be sure to check in with my shaves.

Scott

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I'm in once again!

I'll be starting off with my Joris loaded with a Shark SS blade. I will then break out my Vintage 1980's Fatip. If I get brave I plan on using my Roedter 1909, at least once, which is basically a destroyed Fatip rebranded.

Joris:
005_25.jpg

Vintage 1980's Fatip
026_25.jpg

Roedter 1909...Na, Na Nah!:
027_25.jpg

Oh, I'm in all right!!! I just picked up a new to me Old Type this afternoon. Pics should follow tomorrow. I also will bring out my Fatip Piccolo as well as my other NEW and OT razors. Finally I have one razor that gets used both in SEptember and OCtober.

Flintstone65

Quick count on the spreadsheet/roster shows we are 39, and yes, I did count myself. There's certainly room for more. I think we have several of our BOTOC brothers -- but I'll head over there and post a link as a public service message. :cool:

Well, I will be in. OCs are not my favorite, but I have collected a few.
Cap View.jpg

Left to Right: Fatip SE Piccolo, New Short OC (32/40), New Improved, and a Single Ring Old Type (21/29)

Bottom View.jpg

Left to Right: Fatip SE Piccolo, New Short OC (32/40), New Improved, and a Single Ring Old Type (21/29)

Side View.jpg

The New Short OC is the only OC I have used alot. I have not used the Fatip or New Improved and have only used the Old Type three times.

I will start Tues with the SOC with a Nacet. I have used that combo little over 100 times so far.

Have A Great One!

Well, I will be in. OCs are not my favorite, but I have collected a few.
View attachment 1021035

View attachment 1021036

View attachment 1021037

The New Short OC is the only OC I have used alot. I have not used the Fatip or New Improved and have only used the Old Type three times.

I will start Tues with the SOC with a Nacet. I have used that combo little over 100 times so far.

Have A Great One!

The one you identify as a new improved looks like a ball end old type to me. Not positive though.

Nice razors!

Top Bottom