What's new

OCtober 2019

I am in! - Even a solid bar nut like myself have a few OC’s to bring out for this fine event:

Gillette Aristocrat 1st generation (rhodium)
Gillette Senator
Gillette New RFB #77
Rotbart Mond-Extra

Actually, I will even - on 01 October - bring out, for the very first time ever, the gorgeous, the impeccable, the illustrious, the golden, the British ... ARISTOCRAT from the #19 set!!!

BD7266F1-1B4A-4E18-B72A-3AB388071274.jpeg

Last edited:

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Whoa!!! Just when I think it can't get anymore intense...or swanky....out comes a gold British Aristocrat -- absolutely beautiful razor, sir -- and the others are no slouches either!!! :001_wub:
I am in! - Even a solid bar nut like myself have a few OC’s to bring out for this fine event:

Gillette Senator
Gillette New RFB #77
Rotbart Mond-Extra

Actually, I will even - on 01 October - bring out, for the very first time ever, the gorgeous, the impeccable, the illustrious, the golden, the British ... ARISTOCRAT from the #19 set!!!

View attachment 1019813
I guess I better get started on the tracking spreadsheet -- this month is going to keep me busy!!!

Gillette Senator
Gillette New RFB #77
Rotbart Mond-Extra

View attachment 1019813

OMG!!! :001_wub::001_wub::001_wub::001_wub::001_wub: That is a lot of OC star power.

Oh yeah, also... I’m in!!! I have a lot of open combs, might have to double up some days. (Sorry, Fred.)

I'm in!
I'll use my Fatip Piccolo with an Astra SP blade, MWF soap and a synthetic brush. Not sure if I'll be able to use only this razor for the entire month, until now I coudn't use the piccolo for more than 6-7 consecutive days but I'll see how it's going this time.
Won't be able to post every shave, as in rule #3, sorry.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
OMG!!! :001_wub::001_wub::001_wub::001_wub::001_wub: That is a lot of OC star power.

Oh yeah, also... I’m in!!! I have a lot of open combs, might have to double up some days. (Sorry, Fred.)
It's kinda your fault I'm participating, as at present I can't find my other OC..... which I will blame on you for not telling me where to look!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Thanks, Fred! Looks like fun. I'm chuckling a little because although I've been celebrating SEptember I also got sucked into SLANTember. The very same ATT S2 that I am using for SLANTember will do admirably for part of OCtober. I'll also use a few other OCs: Gem MMOC, PAA Starling V2 OC, and might even brave the ATT SE2 that I couldn't get rid of.

May need a procedural ruling, though. The Kampfe Star New Model has the "12x6" comb with the little Y-shaped "teeth." Not like I really need to bend the rules, but wondering if that'll qualify or if it's not quite in line with the intent.

O.H.

I'm in, with a variety of OCs. Sure to be used in October will be:

Gillettes
NEW Short Comb
1921 Bulldog
1908 Signature Single Ring

Others
Mellon Grand Shave King
RazoRock SLOC
PAA DOC

I have some others, but these are the sure things!

Flintstone65

Thanks, Fred! Looks like fun. I'm chuckling a little because although I've been celebrating SEptember I also got sucked into SLANTember. The very same ATT S2 that I am using for SLANTember will do admirably for part of OCtober. I'll also use a few other OCs: Gem MMOC, PAA Starling V2 OC, and might even brave the ATT SE2 that I couldn't get rid of.

May need a procedural ruling, though. The Kampfe Star New Model has the "12x6" comb with the little Y-shaped "teeth." Not like I really need to bend the rules, but wondering if that'll qualify or if it's not quite in line with the intent.

O.H.
Well sir, usually I feel the need to reign your rule-bending nature in; but this time we're on the same page....I'm planning on using a Kampfe Star (y-toothed model as well)!!! A tooth is a tooth -- unless otherwise proven/decided. I too have MANY "traditional OC" razors, but I think a little tooth-variety is often the spice of life. So bring on the beautiful Lather Catcher and let's rule-bend together!!! I am truly glad you're joining us!!!

Ok, I'm in. But, it'll be more of an occasional OC shave. Got a few that I've had sitting in the cabinet longer than they should have.

I'm in. I'll be trying two OCs this month. They'll be my intro to open combs.

One aluminum handled Yaqi DOC. Currently in transit from China ordered directly from the Yaqi store.

One very old Ever-Ready SE that my dad gave me. Blades on to the way after taking advantage of the 20% off sale at Walgreens.

Looking forward to trying them!

In.

The rotation will include TTO, 3-piece and 4-piece options, both vintage and modern. :)
  • Parker A1R
  • Single Ring
  • NEW Long Comb
  • Thin-cap Old Type (on ‘45 Tech ball end handle)
  • Aristocrat
Should we have a roster?

I'll join, as it's been quite a while since I have participated in any events! I tend to be a bit busy, so I might only join for a few shaves, but I'll do what I can!

I'll use my 1937 Gillette Sheraton (my dad's birth razor), and my personal favorite - A Maggard Razors MR5 handle with the Maggard Razors V2OC head. As for brushes, I tend to change for every shave. I'll know which I'll use the day I go in to shave. Keeps the shave exciting, really!

Flintstone65

In.

The rotation will include TTO, 3-piece and 4-piece options, both vintage and modern. :)
  • Parker A1R
  • Single Ring
  • NEW Long Comb
  • Thin-cap Old Type (on ‘45 Tech ball end handle)
  • Aristocrat
Should we have a roster?
Good to see you -- and that is a good question. I've been compiling everyone's name into a spreadsheet, so I do have a roster in the making. I figured I'd post it up on October 1. I also looked back at the past OC threads and it was hard for me to tell how the roster was being used. Given that the "rules" in more recent years seemed to suggest that you didn't have to participate the whole month, it's not quite like a GRUME. I guess I was looking at it like SEptember, Schicktember, and Slantember where some people dedicate themselves to the whole month, and others post-up when they use the specified-tool and are hopefully encouraged to really use the tool-of-the-month as much as possible, but they aren't really held to exclusivity. I have enough OC razors to never have to duplicate a shave over the entire month (yep, that's why I REALLY need to be in and stick to a GRUME); but I know others may only have one or two razors and tremble at the idea of not being able to rotate more of their non-OC collection throughout the month.

In terms of stats, I am recording every member's shave-post in a spreadsheet -- probably razor and blade only, depending on how much folks share about their shave and what I'm capable of recording every day -- then I'll also compare that to the roster and have some stats on razors, shavers, and potentially blades used.

Too complicated? Probably....and I am a newbie who is also trying to be as true as I can to Shutterbug57's running of the thread, so I'm open to ideas and suggestions.

Gillette 20s OT, Lab Blue, Vintage Williams, Omega 98, Spanish Aqua Velva or Bootleggers Bay Rum. Nothing new to see here.

I'm in. I'l use my only OC, a WCS that I bought a few months ago, paired with Astra SPs. Most of my soaps are Sterling or B&M.

Top Bottom