What's new

OCtober 2019

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Greetings Open-Comb Shavers --

We're getting a bit of a late start this year, but when it comes to shaving: better late than never. This has been an annual tradition for many years -- last thread I found was in 2013, but it may go back even further than that -- and I hope everyone with an open comb razor will join in. Here is a link to last year's event (OCtober 2018)...and here is a quick summary of the "rules":
  1. There really are no "rules".....all it takes is an OC razor. Even though this thread is housed in the "DE" area, all OC razors are welcome: DE, SE, even those weird (but highly regarded) Wecks!!! :001_tongu. If it uses a blade and has an open toothed comb, then it's "in".

2. We've been taking a "head count" for years, so if you're going to participate (even for a single shave), just let us know with a "I'm in!!!" -- explanation points are optional.

3. You don't have to shave the whole month with an OC (although it is highly encouraged and respected :punk:)....some will show for one shave and others for 31. When you do use your OC, please post your shave. It's doesn't have to have a pic (although we REALLY like pictures), just tell us something about your shave....most folks at least mention the razor, the blade (always looking for good razor-blade combos), the soap (always looking for good soaps/creams), the brush (always....well, you get the picture). Most of us are still learning about different razors, and these events are always great for learning about different razors and how they shave.

4. See rule #1.
So whether you have 1 or considerably more :shifty:, come join in the fun. I will be this year's facilitator/statistician. I reached out to @Shutterbug57, and work is keeping him very busy, so I offered to carry the torch this year.

For those veterans, if I've left something out, please chime in. This is only my 2nd OCtober, and I want to do it proud.

Okay, who's in???

Last edited:
I am in and also doing a fixed four for October. The open comb will be the Fatip Piccolo special edition (open comb plate only) and Voskhod blade. Should be fun; thanks to Flintstone65 for administering it.

I'm in! And excited.

When I did my first OCtober, 2015 I think, I had to buy an open comb razor to participate, a Parker 26. Four years later, I have over a dozen open comb razors--some among my favorites.

I'm in!
Here is a cruddy tablet camera photo of my OCs.
Top row:
German travel razor. I made a solid handle for it. Original 2-piece handle beside it.
Gillette Canadian Old Type
Gillette New Short Comb
Gillette New Short Comb with a custom handle I made. It came with a solid ball end handle (tech handle)
Schone OC in Gold

Second row:
Canadian Gillette New Long Comb. This razor came with a severely cracked tube, and no ball end. I made a new handle using the threaded part of the original handle.
US made Gillette New Long Comb
Two Canadian Gillette New Long Combs

20190924_100326.jpg

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I am in and also doing a fixed four for October. The open comb will be the Fatip Piccolo special edition (open comb plate only) and Voskhod blade. Should be fun; thanks to Flintstone65 for administering it.

I'm in! And excited.

When I did my first OCtober, 2015 I think, I had to buy an open comb razor to participate, a Parker 26. Four years later, I have over a dozen open comb razors--some among my favorites.

I'm in!
Here is a cruddy tablet camera photo of my OCs.
Top row:
German travel razor. I made a solid handle for it. Original 2-piece handle beside it.
Gillette Canadian Old Type
Gillette New Short Comb
Gillette New Short Comb with a custom handle I made. It came with a solid ball end handle (tech handle)
Schone OC in Gold

Second row:
Canadian Gillette New Long Comb. This razor came with a severely cracked tube, and no ball end. I made a new handle using the threaded part of the original handle.
US made Gillette New Long Comb
Two Canadian Gillette New Long Combs

View attachment 1019613
We're off to a VERY strong start -- can't wait to hear about the shaves!!!

I'm in, I have a bunch and I think I can commit to doing an OC shave exclusively in OCtober. I prefer OC shaves anyway. I was looking for something to focus on, now just need to figure out if I want to focus on one OC razor for the month and leave the rest variable or focus on one combination for the month. Have a week to figure that out.

I'm in. Just picked up my first OC Friday and tried it out today. Didn't know I was practicing for OCtober, but I know that now!

Many thanks to Flintstone65 for carrying the torch this year. My business is doing well, but that means I have little time for leisure activities. I hope y’all enjoy this OCtober. It should be a blast.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I'm in also, I have 7 or 8 open combs and their variants of different handles old and new.

I'm in with Merkur 41C and a Shave Craft 101. I know, the SC 101 is asymmetrical and blade alignment is less than glorious. I am not sure what possessed me to purchase these two razors.

I'm in! I got couple of OC razors, going from Gillette Old Type to PAA Bakelite Slant OC. They're all on the aggressive side so I gotta approach with extreme caution!

I'm in. I have a single ring, a ball end old type, a schone Italian, and a WCS open comb. I have moved away from the OC format in recent months and realized this morning that I need to respect the OC a little more than I did this morning. It will be fun to take some time with one or more of these beautiful razors.

Top Bottom