What's new

OCtober 2019

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Greetings Open-Comb Shavers --

We're getting a bit of a late start this year, but when it comes to shaving: better late than never. This has been an annual tradition for many years -- last thread I found was in 2013, but it may go back even further than that -- and I hope everyone with an open comb razor will join in. Here is a link to last year's event (OCtober 2018)...and here is a quick summary of the "rules":
  1. There really are no "rules".....all it takes is an OC razor. Even though this thread is housed in the "DE" area, all OC razors are welcome: DE, SE, even those weird (but highly regarded) Wecks!!! :001_tongu. If it uses a blade and has an open toothed comb, then it's "in".

2. We've been taking a "head count" for years, so if you're going to participate (even for a single shave), just let us know with a "I'm in!!!" -- explanation points are optional.

3. You don't have to shave the whole month with an OC (although it is highly encouraged and respected :punk:)....some will show for one shave and others for 31. When you do use your OC, please post your shave. It's doesn't have to have a pic (although we REALLY like pictures), just tell us something about your shave....most folks at least mention the razor, the blade (always looking for good razor-blade combos), the soap (always looking for good soaps/creams), the brush (always....well, you get the picture). Most of us are still learning about different razors, and these events are always great for learning about different razors and how they shave.

4. See rule #1.
So whether you have 1 or considerably more :shifty:, come join in the fun. I will be this year's facilitator/statistician. I reached out to @Shutterbug57, and work is keeping him very busy, so I offered to carry the torch this year.

For those veterans, if I've left something out, please chime in. This is only my 2nd OCtober, and I want to do it proud.

Okay, who's in???
"I'm in"

Sorry I'm late, I was busy getting my backwards professor's journal up to date and have been on a MWF month when I finally got through using all of my vintage razors. My only vintage OC was an NSC, which I was very fond of. But the NSC was a PIF from a friend, so I gave it another PIF to a happy new wet shaver.......

The NSC, however, did spoil me. Now my daily rotation includes a Piccolo SE, a Schone, a Merkur15C, and a SLOC.

For today's shave I will start with

MWF OCtober
Sunday, October 13
Piccolo Super
Nacet(3)
Omega S
MWF

I wasn't in a hurry today, but my hands were tired from moving engines around and I didn't want to spend half my shave making lather.
The synthetic brush did it's job, I got a nice lather and a pretty nice shave. 1st pass normal WTG, I can still feel the blade under my nose and around my lips. 2nd pass lather was nice, just took it easy mostly XTG. The Whitch hazel felt OK, and the AV made itself pronounced but felt great afterwards.
DFS

20191013_142307[1].jpg

Let me say that Mitchell's Wool Fat is a great product, I have used it everyday for 2 weeks. For me I usually change soaps from day to day, and MWF takes me a significantly longer time to build a great lather as the rest of my soaps. Yes, I have found that if I get a bit of a light lather, a few swirls on the puck gets it going just fine.
But I can hit a stick of Arko for 5 seconds and build a great lather on my face in another 20 seconds, and I never have to go back to the stick...

Razor: Eclipse Red Ring
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (2)
Cream: Taylor’s of Old Bond Street Lavender
Brush: Razorock 400 Butterscotch

Shave of the day
Razor:
Fatip Piccolo SE
Blade : Voskhod #4
Brush: Maseto Silvertip, 27mm knot
Soap: Proraso Sandalwood
ASB: Nivea
IMG_0369a.JPG

Raven Koenes

My precious!
OCtober shave count: (10)

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Grande c
Blade: Shark Platinum (1)
Brush: Omega S10019
Soap: Fine Lavender Pour Homme
Aftershave: Reuzel
034_50.jpg

I was going to break out my Vintage 1980's Fatip for OCtober. I decided not to. It has been since about July that I have been finding my Fatip Grande Mk2 to be the razor I most enjoy using. I own one of each of the line that Fatip produces. All the Wood's, Nobile's, Piccolo's, Grande's and Retro's. I also own the Mk1 versions of the Piccolo's Grande's and Retro's. So, to come to the conclusion that the Grande Mk2 (both chrome and nickel) are the one razor that I want to use is pretty big for me. So, I put the 1980's back on the shelf and grabbed the razor I really want to use. I know I could showcase a really cool razor for OCtober or I could have fun. I chose fun.

On another note, the new Shark Platinum blades really rock. They are sharp and smooth. In my opinion they equal any of the Gillette blades out of St. Petersburg. That's saying a lot as my favorite all time blade is Gillette Platinum.

Fine Lavender Pour Homme (French for Lavender for men) was really nice. Tomorrow I'll focus more on the scent. Today I was blown away by its performance. I did notice the Lavender scent but it seemed a little more musky than pure Lavender. It's almost as is they tried to minimalize the floral scent to it. It is a nice scent which I will give its due tomorrow.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
  • Fatip Piccolo
  • NOS Wilkinson Sword Chromium (2)
  • Proraso pre-shave, white
  • Proraso Red shave cream
  • Proraso boar, bowl lathered
  • Pinaud Eau de Portugal
Second Piccolo shave, better than the first
Awesome, I'm really glad that it is working for you! Thank you for the continued updates.

OCtober Shave #10

Gillette Thick Cap Ball End Old Type No SN
Gillette Silver Blue (5)
APShave Faux Horse Hair Imitation Marble v2
Old Spice Shaving Cream (modern in tube)
Old Spice Shulton Brand AS

Another great irritation free BBS shave from this razor. The steep angle is really working for this razor.

Still got a weeper on my chin, but I think I got the angle and direction figured out for this area. This will be the last shave with this razor, tomorrow I will use the New Improved Standard/Bostonian/"Your Name Here on the Box" I got last week. Its a low serial number "B" series dating to 1922.

Have a Great One! and Keep on Shaving!

Awesome, I'm really glad that it is working for you! Thank you for the continued updates.

Thanks.

Provides such a close shave I almost didn't need to shave this morning.

• Merkur 41C
  • NOS Wilkinson Sword Chromium (3)
  • Real Shaving Company cream + Mansavon superlather
  • TOBS Badger, face lathered
  • Nivea Deep Post Shave Lotion
Close and comfortable shave this morning. Love this little razor. Nimble, with a head that suits my face and beard, I really enjoy using it. There is something about shaving without trepidation.

OCtober shave lucky #13:
Gillette New Long Comb
Supermax Super Platinum Diamond Edge (4)
Wilkinson Sword Boar
Arko
Alum
Nivea balm

Its been a while since I used a Diamond Edge blade, and first time in an open comb. 4 very nice shaves so far.

Didn't get to post, but Friday, Saturday, and today (Monday), Timeless 95 OC, with the same Persona Red (10th, 11th, and 12th shaves on the blade....and OC of the month).

OCtober Shave #14

Razor: Gillette New LC
Blade: Perma-Sharp (3)
Soap: Wholly Kaw – Project Leather
Brush: Omega 49
Aftershave: Pinaud VIBR

OCtober shave #13
Merkur 41C + Gillette SharpEdge (3)
Face lather with Muhle XL and Tabac Original.
3 passes + touch ups to DFS. No issues. Pleasant shave.

Monday OCtober 14

Today I used a razor I've not used before - it kind of scared me a bit. A Palmera with a 6 and a 5 stamped on the razor plate. The Waits Compendium doesn't show this razor, but does show a Palmera model 15 so I'm thinking or hoping this is a model 65. The razor plate on this razor is very slightly curved from side to side and I was concerned the blade would not be held properly. Well, there is a lot of exposed blade but if used carefully, this razor is fine.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - MWF (it's Monday)
Brush - ThatDarnRob Masque 26mm V3 Fanchurian
Blade - Feather HI SS (9)
Razor - Palmera 65 (Spain)
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Epsilon Blue A/S (Spain)

Shave rating 5 of 5

I did a one pass shave today, WTG and was DFS+ which surprised me. This razor looks like a cross between a caged head and a long comb. This razor is VERY AGGRESSIVE, very efficient, a lot of exposed blade and a lot of blade feel. I needed to use a very light touch, ride the cap to reduce the blade feel, and I surprised myself with a very good shave save for one nick. Definitely not an every day driver. The MWF lathered and lubricated well. I had the one nick but otherwise the alum was quiet. Epsilon Blue finished off the shave.

Overall, a surprisingly great shave. Have a few more French and English razors that will be the razors for my next few shaves this week.

Happy OCtober and great shaves everyone.
C07130CD-D224-48F5-AEF4-0EC726EF4A2B.jpeg
9EDEFC05-A5F6-481B-957E-A217F21BCF28.jpeg

Monday OCtober 14

Today I used a razor I've not used before - it kind of scared me a bit. A Palmera with a 6 and a 5 stamped on the razor plate. The Waits Compendium doesn't show this razor, but does show a Palmera model 15 so I'm thinking or hoping this is a model 65. The razor plate on this razor is very slightly curved from side to side and I was concerned the blade would not be held properly. Well, there is a lot of exposed blade but if used carefully, this razor is fine.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - MWF (it's Monday)

Shave rating 5 of 5

I did a one pass shave today, WTG and was DFS+ which surprised me. This razor looks like a cross between a caged head and a long comb. This razor is VERY AGGRESSIVE, very efficient, a lot of exposed blade and a lot of blade feel. I needed to use a very light touch, ride the cap to reduce the blade feel, and I surprised myself with a very good shave save for one nick. Definitely not an every day driver. The MWF lathered and lubricated well. I had the one nick but otherwise the alum was quiet. Epsilon Blue finished off the shave.

Overall, a surprisingly great shave. Have a few more French and English razors that will be the razors for my next few shaves this week.

View attachment 1025919View attachment 1025920
The geometry does resemble the Le Coq, a great find.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Provides such a close shave I almost didn't need to shave this morning.

Very close shave last night, but if the Dog Whiskerer can do it, his example is enough motivation for a morning touch up.

Three combs, two on my user grade NEW SC and one on a brassy bumpless Micromatic open comb.

The photo also shows some subtle differences between today’s brass and yesterday’s rhodium NEW SCs. Today’s has a larger diameter mating between handle and baseplate, slightly stouter teeth, slightly longer handle, and some small machining differences on the top of the baseplate. Plenty of grist for the Gillette experts’ mill. And then, for something completely different, the MMOC. The DE had the advantage of a much newer blade.

Also:
Rapira Platinum Lux and Gem SS PTFE
BOSC Special Reserve CLW soap
Soft Golden Nib boar knot in a vintage ceramic handle

6B86E3DD-3715-42CB-A850-95E936914139.jpeg

So many great OCtober shaves, only two weeks in. Nice work, gentlemen (and any gentlewomen I missed among the plethora of postings)! :thumbup:

Monday OCtober 14

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - MWF (it's Monday)

Shave rating 5 of 5

Glad to meet that razor (from a safe distance). Not for the faint of heart! Cool brush, too!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Monday OCtober 14

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - MWF (it's Monday)

Shave rating 5 of 5

Jesus!, man!, there doesn't seem to be much if any bend to that blade at all! :yikes:

OCtober Shave 13

Micromatic Monday!

Gem open comb MicroMatic / Carbon steel SE blade (5)
Omega Bigger Bambino Boar Brush
Razorock Orange Sunrise soap
Dickenson's Witch Hazel for AS

Blade is a little rough and inefficient after 5 shaves. It has been sitting out for a couple of days.

Top Bottom