What's new

OCtober 2019

Today, I shaved again with the USA Old Type loaded with a Personna Lab Blue and a 100th anniversary can of Barbasol. If I can't dig up my NEWs in time, I'll be happy to finish out the month like this.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
1934 Gillette Aristocrat
1936 Gillette Aristocrat
2019 polished Titanium Timeless .68 OC
3 Fresh Med Prep blades
Graydog Happy Sunshine Synthetic 26mm
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191011090234825_COVER.jpg

Skipped today's shave. That will give me 48 hours growth for tomorrow's shave and a good test for the Fatip Piccolo. This razor has been my bane since I purchased it. Never got the performance from it that was touted by so many of its fans. Could have said the same thing about my Old Types...but a steep shaving angle tamed that razor, I'm hoping the same with the Fatip.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
OCtober 11th and today is my Micromatic bumpless open comb base plate, this model was made when Gem did not have the double edge blade yet introduced to compete with Gillette and other razor manufacturing. The model was meant for the thick blade spine(85yrs ago) but it works just as well with the modern Gem version we use today.

Razor: Gem Micromatic open comb(MMOC) bumpless base plate model-MFG 1930-32 usually brass only.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (10)
Soap: Razorock "The dead Sea"
Brush: Razorock Plissoft
Preshave: Brush wash face with CeraVe bar soap + Small dab of Aoe Vera clear gel beard area only.
Post shave: Alum block with cold water rinse
Post shave: Razorock "The dead Sea" aftershave with witch hazel.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + Alum indicated no irritation + no weepers= :biggrin1:

OCtober 11-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Skipped today's shave. That will give me 48 hours growth for tomorrow's shave and a good test for the Fatip Piccolo. This razor has been my bane since I purchased it. Never got the performance from it that was touted by so many of its fans. Could have said the same thing about my Old Types...but a steep shaving angle tamed that razor, I'm hoping the same with the Fatip.
You expressed my thoughts exactly about how I felt about the Fatip. After trying the Old Type with a steep angle last week I tried it with the Piccolo. I have to say it works great!

OCtober Shave 10

Fatip Piccolo
Gillette Nacet blade (3)
Omega Bigger Bambino Boar Brush
Razorock Orange Sunrise soap
Dickenson's Witch Hazel for AS

Finally got this one dialed in!

Happy Friday All! This morning’s shave for me was:

WCS 110s OC
Ladas blades
Williams Mug soap
Semogue 820 brush
Clubman Whiskey Woods after shave
88677074-76B1-43A5-9CA1-BFFCE2A6EFF7.jpeg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I'm rooting for you. All I need or ever use any more is Fatip, with a once and awhile foray into my Old Type, and maybe my New SC...and sometimes the Merkurs I have laying around...and maybe a Muhle, but other than that I use only Fatips. They are quick and save time and energy which for me translates into closer irritation free shaves.
giphy.gif

OCtober shave #10:
Gillette New Short Comb
Supermax Super Platinum Diamond Edge (1)
Wilkinson Sword Boar
Palmolive Stick
Alum
Aqua Velva Ice Blue Classic

We are finally moving into fall down here so I'll wish summer well with Soap Commander Vision soap and balm - a nice refreshing shave every time I use it. Shipwreck Cove AS is a perfect match.

The OC is the Blackland brass bird. Man this is one magical razor. Eleven shaves on the same blade and still no tugging. I want to move on to a different OC but why mess with a good thing? Usually I retire a blade after a week. Let's see how far this will go.

There are maybe 10 or 15 shaves on the Manchurian and it is developing into a delightfully scrubby brush with flow through for four plus passes.

Shave well brothers.
OCtober 11.jpg

OCtober shave #10
Merkur 41C + US Personna Blue (3)
Face lathered with Muhle XL and Tabac Original. 3 passes + touch ups to DFS+. No issues. This combo performs.

OCtober shave #7
Razor: Gillette Single Ring
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: WCS Tortoiseshell Torch Silvertip
Soap: NO Barrbarr
Aftershave: NO Barrbarr
Bowl: CC Copper

I almost just quoted my previous post (to be honest I did and then deleted the quote coding) but thought that might be a little too egotistical. Another great shave with this razor. I am not sure what it is but it makes me happy just to use it and I get a much more effortless shave with it than with my other OCs. So far October has been fun and getting back into OC mode after a long trip on the adjustable train has been rewarding. Happy shaves ya'll.

View attachment 1024768

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
OCtober 11th, Shave No. 5:

IMG_0333.JPG

Razor: Kampfe Star New Model
Blade: Gem PTFE (4)

Everything else in the picture, except the steel rose, was used in the performance.

I have to say I'm "cheerfully disappointed" with the shave today. There are a lot of reasons, among them that this is only the second time I've used this razor. It's in good condition -- for any age, really -- and it's really cool to use a more-than-century-old razor. But it left a lot to be desired, which makes me reflect on how easy it is to get a really good shave these days.

I ended up taking the blade out of the Star and putting it into the Starling, just to stay with a theme...

The Starling holds the blade MUCH more securely, which translated into being able to plow (gently) through the remainder. I quit a little early because it doesn't take much with some razors (and the Star is one) to irritate my scalp with multiple passes.

I recently picked up a Gem Junior Bar in what looks like really good condition. More on that eventually, but not here. It still has what appears to be the original (or AN original) set of instructions, which mention using that razor WTG only. My struggles with the Star are all around XTG and ATG, which just will not work for me. Could be I'm asking the razor to do something it wasn't designed to do.

Anyway, that's today's shave. Still to come, and may not be Monday, the ATT SE2. I admire this razor and WANT to like it, but man-oh-man that thing has carved my turkey every time I've used it so far.

And speaking of turkey: Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! (It's Monday...)

O.H.

Friday OCtober 11

Continuing my shaves through Europe, today I'm using one of my aesthetically favorite razors, the LeCoq Caged Head. I've read that LeCoq may have made multiple versions of this razor; an aggressive version and a milder version. True or not, I've only got one and mine has a lot of exposed blade and is pretty aggressive. With the right shave angle, this shaves really well. Wrong angle, well, its like pealing a peach. Along with my normal picture of all my shave HW and SW, I'll include a profile picture of the caged head with the blade in so you can see the blade exposure. Hopefully this picture turns out ok.

Bowl/Scuttle - PantaRei Starry Night (Sicily, Italy)
Soap - MWF (it's Friday after all)
Brush - PantaRei Starry Night Wood Ed, Silver Tip Badger (Sicily, Italy)
Blade - Feather HI SS (8)
Razor - LeCoq Caged Head (France)
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Baum.BE A/S balm

Shave rating 4 of 5

My hand is still bothering me so shaving is still a bit of an issue; I'm not shaving every day. I get my stitches out next Friday, maybe that will help - I can't get it wet, movement is still compromised, and there is still some pain. I can't stretch my skin in my neck area so I am having some problems shaving properly there. I do get to remove my bandages and wrapping tonight and replace with new bandages/wrapping.

I did a 1 pass shave today, WTG and was DFS. I used a very light touch on the razor and there was a lot of blade feel and the shave was very efficient, and my DFS was nearly BBS. Eighth shave with this blade and maybe it's done or near done. The MWF lathered up well but I'm not sure I like this scuttle for bigger brushes. It's a shallow scuttle and I really had to work to keep the lather in the scuttle which seems counterproductive. This scuttle is better with smaller brushes like the Duke 1 or smaller. I had no weepers but the alum was very vocal particularly at my jaw line and in my neck area. Felt the Baum.BE was the best choice to satisfy my skin.

Overall, a pretty good shave. Have a few more French razors that will be the razors for my next few shaves this weekend and next week.

Happy OCtober and great shaves everyone.

60718AEC-02DE-4F06-A08A-C2B3F77D6A80.jpeg
993EA3C7-1375-4F01-950A-979321AA0EE7.jpeg

10/11/2019. Timeless .68 OC stainless steel w/ 7 o'clock yellow blade, Nancy Boy signature shave cream, Shavemac 24/52mm synthetic & Epsilon Blue Mediterranean.

IMG_0162.jpg

Last edited:
OCt10 on the road home

Linden early stainless OC travel razor, dinky handle fails to balance the head
Astra (2)
Ogalalla bay rum shave stick
Omega mixed midget

I have no idea if the 3 hole, round tab “Blue Ribbon” blades I found in the case are contemporary with the razor. A bit of a rough shaver, but capable of DFS everywhere but the neck whorls.
52EC725F-FEB8-4863-A6C2-9251D70C694E.jpeg

OCtober Shave #11

Razor: Gillette New LC
Blade: Gillette Nacet (3)
Soap: Cella
Brush: RazoRock 24mm Synthetic
Aftershave: Proraso Green

Great Shave today!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom