What's new

October 2019 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

1) FoolishMortal
2) Stuart Ganis
3) 02flhtci
4) Wtd1911
5) naughtilus
6) cino
7) RTM
8) CarlosAT
9) Sotiris_A
10) Flintstone65
11) DBT
12) Schnitzel52
13) AZBronco

I failed on the annual restraint buying some summer Stirling scents. Then failed a second time by buying some B&M Terror soap and AS combo earlier this month. I don't need anything--I just need to stop looking. A month should be easy.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Stuart Ganis
3) 02flhtci
4) Wtd1911
5) naughtilus
6) cino
7) RTM
8) CarlosAT
9) Sotiris_A
10) Flintstone65
11) DBT
12) Schnitzel52
13) AZBronco
14) tim33z

Of course I’ll go for three in a row....

I've been on a buying tear this month with new brushes, razors, blades, soaps and post-shave stuff. October better hurry up and get here. I need a reason to stop and it's either GRUME or an intervention!!

-- Carlos

I've been on a buying tear this month with new brushes, razors, blades, soaps and post-shave stuff. October better hurry up and get here. I need a reason to stop and it's either GRUME or an intervention!!

-- Carlos

Start enjoying everything that you bought. Learn each product's idiosyncrasies, write us some reviews/thoughts. The more you're buying, less you're appreciating what you have.

Start enjoying everything that you bought. Learn each product's idiosyncrasies, write us some reviews/thoughts. The more you're buying, less you're appreciating what you have.
Very wise advice, sir. I'm in search of the better razor and blade pair, so I should probably get on to the business of pairing.

-- Carlos

Not putting my name in this month. However, I will probably not be making purchases. I wish everyone luck.

I'm really hoping that I can pull it off this month. About the only thing that could stop me is seeing something that I want to buy.

I'm really hoping that I can pull it off this month. About the only thing that could stop me is seeing something that I want to buy.
Hahaha... ha. There’s always something that’ll stop you, cuz there’s always something you forgot you needed!

But seriously, good luck.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Stuart Ganis
3) 02flhtci
4) Wtd1911
5) naughtilus
6) cino
7) RTM
8) CarlosAT
9) Sotiris_A
10) Flintstone65
11) DBT
12) Schnitzel52
13) AZBronco
14) tim33z
15) Earcutter

Last edited:
Very wise advice, sir. I'm in search of the better razor and blade pair, so I should probably get on to the business of pairing.

-- Carlos
Feel free to use this thread as your "pairing journal". Put together razors and blades, decide on a ranking system and tell us what you think about each set. I suggest doing (at least) three shaves per pair so that you can work through any outlier experiences. :)

Many of us find that we learn a ton about blades, razors and soaps when using them for extended periods. I typically use a single soap for at least a week, but I go closer to a month at a time. "Events" like Arko August and Tabactober help to encourage this, but you certainly can do it on your own.

The more you use a product, the more you'll appreciate it; either that, or you'll learn that it really doesn't work for you and has no place in your den. Either outcome is a win.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
The more you use a product, the more you'll appreciate it; either that, or you'll learn that it really doesn't work for you and has no place in your den. Either outcome is a win.
This quote should be memorialized on the forum and memorized by every wet shaver....truer words were never spoken or written. It wasn't until I understood and started to internalized this, that I started to get really great shaves.

One more try. If I fail this one I'll leave you guys alone.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Stuart Ganis
3) 02flhtci
4) Wtd1911
5) naughtilus
6) cino
7) RTM
8) CarlosAT
9) Sotiris_A
10) Flintstone65
11) DBT
12) Schnitzel52
13) AZBronco
14) tim33z
15) Earcutter
16) Heron

@FoolishMortal :
Good idea to share experience!
I think three shaves are not enough to fully appreciate any product, or combination. It could be a go/no go indicator, sure. For example three shaves were enough for me to discard my tuck of Wilkinson blades, forever.
Once determined that a combination performs as advertised, it seems beneficial to use it daily for no less than one month, preferably more - I agree with @FoolishMortal. This will help to appreciate its potential, or maybe try a little experiment.
Speaking for myself, after ten weeks (probably more?) with the same setup, I found that Nuávia Rosso and Personna blades are killer combo.

Why not? I anticipate no difficulty.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Stuart Ganis
3) 02flhtci
4) Wtd1911
5) naughtilus
6) cino
7) RTM
8) CarlosAT
9) Sotiris_A
10) Flintstone65
11) DBT
12) Schnitzel52
13) AZBronco
14) tim33z
15) Earcutter
16) Heron
17) Rory1262

I’m in!! That should make LOTH happy!!

1) FoolishMortal
2) Stuart Ganis
3) 02flhtci
4) Wtd1911
5) naughtilus
6) cino
7) RTM
8) CarlosAT
9) Sotiris_A
10) Flintstone65
11) DBT
12) Schnitzel52
13) AZBronco
14) tim33z
15) Earcutter
16) Heron
17) Rory1262
18) BigJ

One more try. If I fail this one I'll leave you guys alone.
Nah, just keep giving it the old college try!

I’m in!! That should make LOTH happy!!
Welcome back!

@FoolishMortal :
I think three shaves are not enough to fully appreciate any product, or combination. It could be a go/no go indicator, sure. For example three shaves were enough for me to discard my tuck of Wilkinson blades, forever.
Once determined that a combination performs as advertised, it seems beneficial to use it daily for no less than one month, preferably more - I agree with @FoolishMortal. This will help to appreciate its potential, or maybe try a little experiment.
Speaking for myself, after ten weeks (probably more?) with the same setup, I found that Nuávia Rosso and Personna blades are killer combo.
I agree - three tries with a combo likely isn't enough. I was actually more referring to the tendency to go one-and-done with a blade. People can have a bad first experience and write off a piece of kit, especially blades, but giving it (at least) three tries gives you the opportunity to have a good experience in there somewhere.

Also in :=)

1) FoolishMortal
2) Stuart Ganis
3) 02flhtci
4) Wtd1911
5) naughtilus
6) cino
7) RTM
8) CarlosAT
9) Sotiris_A
10) Flintstone65
11) DBT
12) Schnitzel52
13) AZBronco
14) tim33z
15) Earcutter
16) Heron
17) Rory1262
18) BigJ
19) Tomtom42

Feel free to use this thread as your "pairing journal". Put together razors and blades, decide on a ranking system and tell us what you think about each set. I suggest doing (at least) three shaves per pair so that you can work through any outlier experiences. :)

Many of us find that we learn a ton about blades, razors and soaps when using them for extended periods. I typically use a single soap for at least a week, but I go closer to a month at a time. "Events" like Arko August and Tabactober help to encourage this, but you certainly can do it on your own.

This quote should be memorialized on the forum and memorized by every wet shaver....truer words were never spoken or written. It wasn't until I understood and started to internalized this, that I started to get really great shaves.
@FoolishMortal :
I agree - three tries with a combo likely isn't enough. I was actually more referring to the tendency to go one-and-done with a blade. People can have a bad first experience and write off a piece of kit, especially blades, but giving it (at least) three tries gives you the opportunity to have a good experience in there somewhere.

So what exactly are you guys trying to tell me? :confused1

Just kidding. I get it and between GRUME, Tabactober and OCtober this coming month, I'll go off and work with my OC for a month straight and see how I like different blade combos. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

By the way, you guys make a great RAD, SRAD and SBAD support network. :laugh: Thanks folks!!

I'm in for another round!

1) FoolishMortal
2) Stuart Ganis
3) 02flhtci
4) Wtd1911
5) naughtilus
6) cino
7) RTM
8) CarlosAT
9) Sotiris_A
10) Flintstone65
11) DBT