What's new

OCTOBER 2018 SCORES

Status
Not open for further replies.

October and Fall is definitely here.

We are in the downside of the year, Gents, and the coolness of Autumn is beginning to stir. It's a great time to spend that extra hour or two on the hunt, visiting the familiar places and perhaps seeking new ones you could discover in search of that elusive find ... and, you never know, you may stumble on that special something because ...

The Scores do await, whether in the wild and online. And when you find one, oh does it feel so good!

And Gents, when you snag one please let us know.

Because, we all want to see and think ... Lucky Dog! I need one of THOSE....

I finally received my PAA Aluminum Ascension Twist Adjustable DOC razor & Controversy EdP today. It was lost in the mail, but due to PAA's outstanding customer service, they rapidly sent out a replacement package after a 2 week battle with the snail mail agency. The razor looks outstanding and winner. We will see tomorrow. I tested the EdP and the scent of Controversy exceeds my expectations. I am not good at describing scents, but all I can say is that after experiencing a small amount of mist on my wrist, I have to pick up the soap. It seems another order is in order! I will be giving these guys their maiden voyage early tomorrow morning to which I'm sure it will be the start of a great day.
Steve

IMG_1153.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Missed ya'll! My latest acquisitions...

1919 No.17G set...

1918 Gillette Military set with nickel Bulldog...

1921 "460" Bulldog set with shipper...

After trying the PAA Controversy EdP, I liked the scent so much, I had to pick up the soap and AS and threw in the Ciderhouse 5 seasonal bundle to avoid shipping. Both bundles really smell great and I look forward to lathering them up. I really like how PAA is just upping their game with the new AS bottles and quality products. The aftershave's did not come in the new boxes, but they added a nice touch with a card stating who packed the shipment. Even though the card is not a big deal, to me it is a personal gesture that emphasizes pride and quality.

IMG_1229.jpg

IMG_1230.jpg

Last week I scored a '48-'50 Aristocrat in the original case for $28! Probably my best deal so far. I also got what turned out to be a Gillette President stripped of it's rhodium for $23. I love em both! Definitely upping my shave game.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Missed ya'll! My latest acquisitions...

1919 No.17G set...

1918 Gillette Military set with nickel Bulldog...

1921 "460" Bulldog set with shipper...

That is a godlike acquisition! Who the heck wouldn't love to have one of those? Even people who have never tried this hobby would drool over that. Amazing!

With more on the way. Some of this was bought in the PX, some bought from local vendors, some bought online. I'd like to give a shout out to Geofatboy of Shave Nation. USPS was less than on their game with the both of us. However, the Proraso Red and the Rockwell 6S came through.

Hope everyone enjoys.

Yesterday I finally received the Dr. Jekyll set from The Holy Black, after some minor shipping drama with the post office (nothing HB related), but did not get a chance to open it until tonight when I came home from work. I must say the cardboard shipping box is probably the largest any shave order I received has come in. If your significant other has any frustrations with any of your acquisition disorders, this definitely will not help the situation. The next paragraph has some spoilers that if you have not opened your set, etc, you may want to skip and just be surprised with the experience first hand.

The presentation is outstanding from the numbered wooden create like box and its cool markings, to the card warning you about the potency of the contents, and the custom prybar used to open the box if you must. You use the prybar to open the lid which is stapled firmly shut. When the box is opened, I believe a photosensitive switch is triggered to start playing music and lights the contents. Very cool indeed. There is a wax sealed letter on the top and the contents of the box are packed to the brim with straw. The straw does create a mess and I suggest opening the box on a hard smooth surface. I opened it on a blanket and the stray pieces of straw had to be vacuumed off because it is a pain to try and pick or brush it off. The contents are packed so tight with straw, one does lose a bit of the lighting effect underneath. Eventually the music and lights turn off and it is time to explore. The splashes especially appear to be very generous in size. All liquids are tagged with cards and sealed with wax. The larger splashes are stamped with the HB seal.

I did smell the soap from the container, but it is really hard to get the full effect of the scent. I assume you will need to lather. It did appear a bit more firm them the other limited edition soaps I ordered from The Holy Black. I did not break any of the seals on the fragrances yet because I think I want to take some better photos of the complete set with my SLR maybe in the sun or something. I was more eager to check out the package first. As such, I really can’t comment on the performance of the software or the scent, because I haven’t tried any of them yet. It all looks amazing and I am sure will be of good quality. The package was expensive, but it is extremely well themed, and there is quite a bit of product – especially with the 2 sets of splashes and EdP’s. I don’t know how well they work, smell, etc but it is not uncommon for smaller splashes to sell for $25 each and $50 each for the EdP’s. That alone is $150 plus the soap, packaging, etc. So although it is pricey, I don’t think it is unreasonable for the whole package as long as the quality of the products are not up to The Holy Black standards. For me, the trick is how will I use it. I think I will try each scent individually first before any mixing, just to fully experience each half. Then when I mix, how will I do it? Probably just put a bit of each in my palm. It isn’t rocket science, but I will put a little thought into it. Anyways, happy shaving, and I hope everyone is having fun with the fall scents and season.
Steve

IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1311.jpg

IMG_1319.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

Today I received a order from WCS. Hallows is one of those fall scents that seems rather popular, but does have a polarizing scent from the comments I have read. Nevertheless, I understood this was the last year for it and I had to try it. The scent from the puck is very intriguing to me and I can't wait to break it in tomorrow. I guess Dr Jekyll will need to wait.
Steve
IMG_1317.jpg

Today I received the Starling V2 base plates and decided to fill the cart for free shipping with some shampoos, deodorants, and a replacement to one of my favorite shaving products - The Mentholated CUBE! I order the dish for fun this time, but I must say that this is one of the best performing items in my den and adds a good dose of menthol to every shave. For the most part, I don't need a preshave for slickness, but it works great and gives a bit of cool to every shave without distorting the scent of the main soap. They also last forever. I highly recommend the CUBE. I hope the new Starling OC Emerald base plate works as well. The shampoo pucks also are very noteworthy, providing outstanding lathers and good scent strength. I like to use them to try scents of soaps and aftershaves I'm interested in. All three smell great from the puck and I can't wait to use them.
Steve
IMG_1336.jpg

IMG_1339.jpg

IMG_1340.jpg

IMG_1341.jpg

9A5E4B63-5F00-4B0E-858C-441C1C9734D9.jpeg
B5B67AB8-F717-40ED-AFEB-00C063685AA9.jpeg
050F6C23-D4BC-4AEA-B43D-73F39B121EF2.jpeg
New (to me) 1957 Gillette Blue Tip Razor in excellent condition. Bought along with a Gillette red case from 1949-1951. The images of the razor did not look that great. However after a warm bath in dishwashing detergent the razor came out looking near mint. There is practically no paint loss on the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom