What's new

Occasional Use Chain Saw

I give up. I'm finally at the age where I need a chain saw. I haven't bought one because I don't need one all the time. This means it will be an occasional use saw, which complicates things. I may also have to saw 6 inch to 12 inch limbs/logs. (15cm -30cm). Anything larger is going to mean something more than for occasional use. I'm not keen on using a chain saw for small limbs. Wood will include softwoods and hardwoods.

At work, we prefer Husqvarna, but these see regular use. They're gasoline, of course. I'm not opposed to gasoline, but since it will be occasional use, I have concerns how well it will hold up if it just "sits there." Would have to run it dry after each use.

Have thought about corded, but have hesitated because it limits where I can use it.

Have wondered about 40v lithium-ion chain saws. Concern there is run time. I wouldn't be cutting all day, but Saturday I got into a 30 minute project that took three hours . Granted I was having to improvise on a lot of things, but that's how these things tend to go.

Any suggestions or observations?

I have a cheap Remington, works very well, but the bar oil runs out in storage - messy.
I also have a Ryobi on a pole. Works great, no leaking. Easy to take off pole for hand use.

Both are 110v. If I am doing a lot of cutting, and it is not within extension cord range, I carry out my Honda 2000 genny to run them. If it is just a few cuts I have a Makita 18v recip I use, can actually cut a lot before the battery needs charged.

Haven't fired up the gas saw in a few years.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
SWMBO picked up an Echo with an 18 inch bar gas one 2 or 3 years ago. It works great...we used it to cut up an entire post oak tree. I had a hard time getting it started this spring, first time it's done that. All the chainsaws I've had, gas or electric, have leaked bar oil when they sit for awhile.

ECHO 18 in. 40.2cc Gas Chainsaw-CS-400-18 - The Home Depot

Gas is more expensive than corded electric ones, but more powerful. But I'm sure you know that.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have a Remington pole saw I'm sure is like Bill's, but when I was at another property of mine I needed a little one and picked up a Worx electric pole saw at Wallyworld. I usually use it without the pole, and it is much lighter than a gas one and it has worked well for the small stuff.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Worx-8-8A-Electric-Pole-Saw/43110132

I've never used a battery powered one, but SWMBO recently got a Black and Decker hedge trimmer with a 20 V battery and she loves it. The worx brand cordless ones are not real expensive either. For the smaller stuff like you'll be using one for that may be the way to go.

Chainsaws & Pole Saws

I have a small Stihl chainsaw that works great for me but I do have to make sure there's stabilizer in the gas and that I start it every so often when it's not seeing use. The fuel stabilizer keeps me from having to run it dry after every use. I bought it because I had a few large trees to cut down and didn't want to deal with a cord in doing so. For just an occasional small limb or to chop up some branches I'd likely choose something corded.

As far as a non gas chainsaw I'd likely choose electric over battery only because the batteries seem to last about two years, shorter if they don't see regular use, before needing replacement. Replacing them tends to be expensive. So I'd probably opt for the cord over replacing the batteries frequently. You're losing the convenience but you can buy a corded electric chainsaw for like forty bucks.

If you're cutting 6 to 12 inch logs I suspect something gas powered would be your best option. If you were just doing some small trimming then battery or corded might be a better choice.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have a small Stihl chainsaw that works great for me but I do have to make sure there's stabilizer in the gas and that I start it every so often when it's not seeing use. The fuel stabilizer keeps me from having to run it dry after every use. I bought it because I had a few large trees to cut down and didn't want to deal with a cord in doing so. For just an occasional small limb or to chop up some branches I'd likely choose something corded.

As far as a non gas chainsaw I'd likely choose electric over battery only because the batteries seem to last about two years, shorter if they don't see regular use, before needing replacement. Replacing them tends to be expensive. So I'd probably opt for the cord over replacing the batteries frequently. You're losing the convenience but you can buy a corded electric chainsaw for like forty bucks.

If you're cutting 6 to 12 inch logs I suspect something gas powered would be your best option. If you were just doing some small trimming then battery or corded might be a better choice.

+1000 on the fuel stabilizer; I have it in all of my gas cans for lawn and garden equipment. I leave fuel in the zero turn lawn mower and the generator year round. I started using the Briggs & Stratton stabilizer/ ethanol fighter in everything several years ago. Before that the lawn mower engine would "surge" on idle (common problem related to ethanol), but now it purrs like a kitten on idle.

There are many brands, but the last time I ordered some I got three 16 oz. bottles of the Briggs & Stratton stuff. It seems to work well for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Strat..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=6YB9EY4DGQNHZV6DBX2F

The Latest in Fuel Stabilizer Technology | Briggs & Stratton

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I give up. I'm finally at the age where I need a chain saw. I haven't bought one because I don't need one all the time. This means it will be an occasional use saw, which complicates things. I may also have to saw 6 inch to 12 inch limbs/logs. (15cm -30cm). Anything larger is going to mean something more than for occasional use. I'm not keen on using a chain saw for small limbs. Wood will include softwoods and hardwoods.

At work, we prefer Husqvarna, but these see regular use. They're gasoline, of course. I'm not opposed to gasoline, but since it will be occasional use, I have concerns how well it will hold up if it just "sits there." Would have to run it dry after each use.

Have thought about corded, but have hesitated because it limits where I can use it.

Have wondered about 40v lithium-ion chain saws. Concern there is run time. I wouldn't be cutting all day, but Saturday I got into a 30 minute project that took three hours . Granted I was having to improvise on a lot of things, but that's how these things tend to go.

Any suggestions or observations?

MS 170 - Compact gas chain saw for property maintenance

Awesome saw for a modest cost.

I used mine to help clear 8 acres at my gun club quite a few years ago cutting trees so big around I had to cut from both sides. We also had a 90cc Husky for the bigger trees and bucking logs, but its a heavy saw for moving around quickly cutting smaller trees and limbing. That little Stihl 30cc is a work horse.

That saw replaced this old Stihl O8S when I could no longer get parts for the throttle linkage. It weighs easily half as much and cuts twice as fast with half the displacement.

maxresdefault.jpg

I never drain the gas and I never use fuel stabilizer in any of my two strokes. Saw, trimmer and 6.5HP snow blower. I just top it up with fresh gas before I use it and put it to work. None have ever failed me when I needed them. I only use Stihl oil in all 2 strokes.

Just last week I had a limb come down from a Maple in the yard during a storm, about 12"s through. My saw hadnt even run for 2 years. I topped it up, checked the bar oil and chain, set the throttle lock and the same as ever, 3rd pull it fired. Drop the throttle lock, one pull and I was in business.

The only thing I did was add a 1/2 tank of fresh 92oct mix. I've had more carb problems draining gas from tools over the years I stopped doing it. When the carb is dry, so are the gaskets. They shrink and then expand when wet again. Repeated cycles just speed up deterioration of the diaphragms and they crack. I've not had a single carb issue since I started leaving them wet.

I prefer Stihl MS 180C over the MS170....It has the easy start system, which is nice. It has the tooless chain adjustment, which is nicer. The small Stihls use a narrower gauge chain, which cost a little bit less to replace. I have and prefer a 16" bar. You can catch them on sale for about $220, sometimes with a free case....I use the Stihl synthetic oil in my two strokes.

Stabilizer or not, I empty the fuel after each use and start it to let the carb run dry. I have never had a carb issue doing this....I drained after each use a saw I got in 1985. It's first fuel line lasted until the early 2000's. I just replaced it again. It's original carb lasted until this year. I replaced it about a month ago. I believe it was simply worn out.

Last edited:
I'd say you would be better off to rent one when needed than buying either gas or electric(battery or corded). Unless you have access to ethanol free gas or are willing to buy the overpriced premixed canned fuel, a gas saw probably won't run if it sits more than a few months. The ethanol attracts water, which corrodes the aluminum carb body. There are some stabilizers and other additives that will negate the ethanol to some degree. Still, rubber parts(diaphragms in the carb) degrade and may or may not be pliable the next time you need to use it.

A battery operated saw is great if you have other power tools that use the same battery and are in frequent use, but if those batteries just sit, they also degrade and may or may not hold a charge. Most of those batteries are expensive, so you really don't get your money's worth if you're only using them once every six months.

Corded...well, I wouldn't want to drag cords around either.

Can you rent/borrow one from your place of work when you need to?

Thirty+ years ago, yes. Now? Best not to go there. Not only is it a change in work culture, but I do not want to pay for a repair at the saw shop just because someone used it after I did and "forgot" to mention that fact. I even bought my own hard hat rather than go to work to get mine, and they wouldn't have said anything about it.

+1000 on the fuel stabilizer; I have it in all of my gas cans for lawn and garden equipment. I leave fuel in the zero turn lawn mower and the generator year round. I started using the Briggs & Stratton stabilizer/ ethanol fighter in everything several years ago. Before that the lawn mower engine would "surge" on idle (common problem related to ethanol), but now it purrs like a kitten on idle.

There are many brands, but the last time I ordered some I got three 16 oz. bottles of the Briggs & Stratton stuff. It seems to work well for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Strat..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=6YB9EY4DGQNHZV6DBX2F

The Latest in Fuel Stabilizer Technology | Briggs & Stratton

We use fuel stabilizer in gasoline generators. It works so well that I started using it at home, with good results.

I'd say you would be better off to rent one when needed than buying either gas or electric(battery or corded). Unless you have access to ethanol free gas or are willing to buy the overpriced premixed canned fuel, a gas saw probably won't run if it sits more than a few months. The ethanol attracts water, which corrodes the aluminum carb body. There are some stabilizers and other additives that will negate the ethanol to some degree. Still, rubber parts(diaphragms in the carb) degrade and may or may not be pliable the next time you need to use it.

A battery operated saw is great if you have other power tools that use the same battery and are in frequent use, but if those batteries just sit, they also degrade and may or may not hold a charge. Most of those batteries are expensive, so you really don't get your money's worth if you're only using them once every six months.

Corded...well, I wouldn't want to drag cords around either.

We banned ethanol gas in our chain saws at work because of regular trips to the saw shop. While I can get ethanol-free gasoline and mix it myself, I'm not adverse to buying the expensive canned stuff for occasional use. For mix-my-own, I always put fuel stabilizer in the gasoline along with the oil. This is for string trimmers, BTW.

I hazard to estimate the size of the large limb I cut by hand Saturday, because such things tend to be like fish size-wise. It was definitely over 6 inches and likely 8. The only workable saw I had was the one I brought, and that was technically a limbing saw. I cut the thick part once, then had to cut a smaller 6 inch section again. That was the least of my improvising that day.

Tonight I saw a 60v 16" bar (IIRC) chain saw made under the Snapper label. The thing was more expensive than an 18" gas.

My father had a second-hand Homelite chain saw so old it has a bow instead of a bar. Bow types had a thing on the bottom of the bar that you pressed against the log, holding it in place. Worked really nice. Alas, bow types are no more, and his chain saw hasn't run in years. Now I'm wondering how much it would take to repair it. Given the age, it may be nearing antique status, and and I'd be a bit reluctant to use it much.

Depending on which model of Homelite it is, a carb rebuild kit and fuel lines may be easy problems to solve. If it's an XL-12 or SXL-12, then no problem. Any older than that and no guarantees.

I have a stihl 180 for brushing at deer camp. It’s awesome. Stihl mix oil comes with stabilizer in it. Use ethanol free gas with stihl synthetic mix and she starts up easy even if not used for a year. Awesome little saw.

I have an older, probably pushing 30 year old Stihl. My first was a cheap Walmart homelite, which did ok for a couple of years, then quit when I needed it after a storm. I went with Stihl because of the dealer locally, service has been great, prices a bit high, but it has been totally reliable. I have 1 1/2 acres with 15-20 trees, so a fair amount of pruning , and occasionally have had winds take one out so I had to cut it completely. I think my bar is 16", certainly no more than 18 but cannot remember at the time. I use alcohol free gas, Stihl recommends 89 octane gas, so generally get premium, and since they started marketing it ,their synthetic two cycle oil. When I finish using it I drain the tank, then start and run the carburetor dry. To this date I have never had a fuel problem. I have several other pieces of Stihl equipment, usually choosing what would be homeowner overkill, but not heavy duty commercial either, just mid to lower mid grade and it has all been reliable and trouble free following the fueling procedure. I generally add a bit of stabilizer to the fuel, and if it gets older, run it through my big lawn mower.

I personally would go a bar length a couple of inches longer than the largest limb you would routinely cut, extra length would just make it easier.

I may be mistaken but just do not think the battery powered equipment is there yet. Some of the cleanup projects I have take on were all day, multiple day jobs, and would have required numerous batteries and probably down time for recharging. I base that on using an eighteen volt Dewalt drill. If you go corded electric, you may need excessively long extension, needing to make sure you have the proper gauge wire for the length and load. Ten or twelve extension cords get rather expensive and heavy.

Bottom line is that I think gas is the way to go. Stick with a brand has a good reputation, such as Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo ect, and don't go the smallest, cheapest model with any of them. Buy quality and it will last.

I have a Husqvarna 545 16" bar with the Auto Tune technology. I use it occasionally. Sometimes it will sit for a couple of months in between uses. I use stabilizer and don't feel the need to run it dry unless it is going to sit over winter for a long period of time. Great saw.

Huskvarna also makes the Poulan PRO. Poulon now offering an electric cordless chainsaw which looks very promising. I believe it's a 50V lithium ion battery. For occasional use, this would be the most durable IMHO. The only thing you would need would be the chain oil. I use an electric (corded) Oregon chainsaw and it is an awesome performer.The Poulan PRO cordless sells for $299.

Top Bottom